Cardinal Pell Charged With Sexual Assault
From the Atlantic:

Vatican Cardinal Charged With Sexual Assault
Pell is the highest-ranking Vatican official to ever incur the charges in the church’s longstanding history of abuse.

Aria Bendix

Jun 28, 2017

Australia’s most senior member of the Catholic Church, Cardinal George Pell, was charged with multiple counts of sexual assault on Wednesday, making him the highest-ranking Vatican official to ever incur the charges. Pell is also the chief financial adviser to Pope Francis, whose “zero tolerance” policy toward sexual assault has been accused of lacking follow-through and failing to curb the church’s longstanding legacy of abuse.

On Wednesday, Australia’s Victoria Police said multiple complainants had come forward against Pell, but did not provide any further detail regarding the nature of the alleged assaults. The charges are considered “historic sexual offenses,” indicating that they occurred many years ago. According to the Associated Press, two men have previously accused Pell, then a senior priest in Melbourne, of touching them inappropriately at a swimming pool in the late 1970s. Pell, whose religious career spans more than 50 years, has consistently denied the allegations.

“I’d just like to restate my innocence,” Pell told reporters in May, amid rumors that he would soon be charged. He added that he stood behind his statements to Australia’s Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse—a government-authorized inquiry established in 2013. At his testimony in February 2016, Pell was asked to provide evidence of his role in the church’s sexual abuse scandal in Australia, in which officials admittedly dismissed allegations of assault to protect clergy members. Pell, who is based in Rome, testified via video-link, arguing that his declining health prevented him from attending in person.

In his testimony before the commission, Pell condemned the church’s handling of abuse allegations, calling it “absolutely scandalous.” “I’m not here to defend the indefensible,” he said. “The church has made enormous mistakes and is working to remedy those.” In reference to Gerald Ridsdale, a former Australian priest who is currently serving a prison sentence for his abuse of more than 50 children, Pell argued that the church’s inaction resulted in “an enormous amount of suffering.” “I must say, in those days, if a priest denied such activity, I was very strongly inclined to accept the denial,” he said.

While the extent of the Catholic Church’s abuse scandal is difficult to quantify, an estimated 3,000 priests were accused of sex abuse from 2001 to 2010, according to Vatican reports. As late as February of this year, Australia’s royal commission concluded that seven percent of the nation’s Catholic priests had been accused of sexually abusing children from 1950 to 2010. In total, this amounts to more than 4,400 complainants across more than 1,000 institutions.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney said Pell would “return to Australia, as soon as possible, to clear his name following advice and approval by his doctors.” The statement added that he “is looking forward to his day in court and will defend the charges vigorously.” Pell is expected to appear before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on July 18. He is also scheduled to give a personal statement from Rome on Thursday, the church announced.

In the past, Pell has shared his thoughts on the implications of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, arguing that the individual, not the institution, is to blame. “I don’t think it calls into question the divine structure of the church, which goes back to the New Testament, the role of the pope and bishops,” he said at his testimony in February. “I think the faults overwhelmingly have been more personal faults, personal failures, rather than structures.”
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
Interesting how Cardinal Pell is being dragged they the mud yet Cardinal Cocopalmerio is flying under the radar.

http://whatisupwiththesynod.com/index.ph...perv-dots/
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

Cor Jesu Eucharistic Miserere Nobis 

Salus animarum suprema lex
I visited St. Mary's Cathedral in Sydney once and was amazed by the admiration for Cardinal Pell that I heard from the people there. I had really thought of him as one of the good leaders in the Church. I even hoped, when the name "George" was announced from the balcony, that it would be "Pell" and not "Bergoglio" that would follow. I guess that shows the folly of admiring people who are still living and able to disappoint.

In a sense I hope the allegations are false, but on the other hand that would mean several people are making false accusations, thus risking their souls. And from what I understand false accusations of sexual assault are exceedingly rare.  The Church should act and firmly demonstrate that this behavior is not tolerated. Of course he could be innocent, but even if he is this will taint his and the Church's reputation for a long time.
"I am a Christian, and indeed a Roman Catholic, so that I do not expect ‘history’ to be anything but a ‘long defeat’ — though it contains (and in a legend may contain more clearly and movingly) some samples or glimpses of final victory." -J.R.R. Tolkien

"I know quite well that, to you as to me, the Church which once felt like a refuge, now often feels like a trap. There is nowhere else to go! (I wonder if this desperate feeling, the last state of loyally hanging on, was not, even more often than is actually recorded in the Gospels, felt by Our Lord’s followers in His earthly life-time?) I think there is nothing to do but pray, for the Church, the Vicar of Christ, and for ourselves; and meanwhile to exercise the virtue of loyalty, which indeed only becomes a virtue when one is under pressure to desert it." -J.R.R. Tolkien

"There is none so blind as he who will not agree with me." -someone else
(06-29-2017, 11:23 AM)Optatus Cleary Wrote: I visited St. Mary's Cathedral in Sydney once and was amazed by the admiration for Cardinal Pell that I heard from the people there. I had really thought of him as one of the good leaders in the Church. I even hoped, when the name "George" was announced from the balcony, that it would be "Pell" and not "Bergoglio" that would follow. I guess that shows the folly of admiring people who are still living and able to disappoint.

In a sense I hope the allegations are false, but on the other hand that would mean several people are making false accusations, thus risking their souls. And from what I understand false accusations of sexual assault are exceedingly rare.  The Church should act and firmly demonstrate that this behavior is not tolerated. Of course he could be innocent, but even if he is this will taint his and the Church's reputation for a long time.

Oy!!  And the beat goes on.  And on.  And on........ :rolleyes: 

Given what's transpired and been brought to light over the last however many years (20? 30? 50? More??) regarding the Catholic Church's participation in sexual abuse by her priests and bishops and the subsequent horrific cover ups; given that it appears to still be going on, or at least more is being uncovered, I thing the Church's reputation is already tainted for a long, long time to come.  I know any number of people who won't set foot in or near a Catholic church solely (as if that's not enough?!) because of the sexual abuse scandal(s) that are more and more becoming known and have already been revealed.  Sad.  Truly, truly sad....
The earth used to be spherical.  Then those Pesky Semites came along, and the sheer weight of their ideas flattened it. :LOL:

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan
I still haven't seen a shred of parametric sociological data to suggest that this problem is any worse in the Catholic Church than in other places where there is contact between older people in positions of authority and vulnerable children (public schools, sports teams, summer camps, mosques, synagogues, Orthodox churches, Protestant outfits, etc.) Just anecdotes and a very obvious media smear campaign. The government here in Canada often blathers on about "evidence based policy" and leftists often pride themselves to "love science". But not in this case. But anti-Catholicism is the last acceptable prejudice so it doesn't matter to them.

It's interesting because I would say it's also due to the Catholic Church's meticulous record keeping that a lot of this terrible abuse has come to light. Good luck getting the kind of documentation from Pastor Bob's Bible Shack. Yet absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I'm not a parent (yet), but there is no way I won't be very, very careful about who gets to interact with my kids. I don't care if he's an amazing priest or an old buddy or a colleague or a cousin or whatever.
(06-29-2017, 01:10 PM)Estevao Wrote: I still haven't seen a shred of parametric sociological data to suggest that this problem is any worse in the Catholic Church than in other places where there is contact between older people in positions of authority and vulnerable children (public schools, sports teams, summer camps, mosques, synagogues, Orthodox churches, Protestant outfits, etc.) Just anecdotes and a very obvious media smear campaign. The government here in Canada often blathers on about "evidence based policy" and leftists often pride themselves to "love science". But not in this case. But anti-Catholicism is the last acceptable prejudice so it doesn't matter to them.

It's interesting because I would say it's also due to the Catholic Church's meticulous record keeping that a lot of this terrible abuse has come to light. Good luck getting the kind of documentation from Pastor Bob's Bible Shack. Yet absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I'm not a parent (yet), but there is no way I won't be very, very careful about who gets to interact with my kids. I don't care if he's an amazing priest or an old buddy or a colleague or a cousin or whatever.

I'm not suggesting that "this problem" is any worse in the Catholic Church than elsewhere.  I've seen statistics that indicate that, in fact, sexual abuse by Catholic priests is no worse than, or even less common than by adults in the society at large.  However, part of the problem is the willful and knowing cover-ups by the hierarchy, to protect its own, so to speak, and....the fact that priests, ministers, rabbis, etc. are, or should be, held to a much higher moral and ethical standard than coaches, teachers, etc.  After all, they hold a position of trust rather unparalleled elsewhere, dealing with people's souls and spiritual life, and, therefor are or should be held more highly accountable.

Then there's the fact that, at least here in the U.S., there are rather many more Catholic priests than either Orthodox priests, rabbis, or imams, thereby coming into contact with and affecting a larger vulnerable population.

Now...don't go and get me wrong and think I'm making a comparison that I'm not, but when you wrote about the Catholic Church's "meticulous record keeping" I couldn't help but think about the Nazis and their meticulous record keeping.

As for being very, very careful about who your kids interact with....yes, by all means!!  However, careful as you might be, you can't be with them every minute of every day.  If there are conditions in their lives which make them vulnerable to predators (who are usually extremely intelligent and cunning), even much greater vigilance is required, but usually totally lacking.

Have you seen the Netflix series The Keepers?  I can't recommend it highly enough, but it ain't for the faint-hearted!  My dear Mrs. J Michael attended the school from its opening and knew personally a number of the people involved.  Thankfully, she wasn't vulnerable in the sense that the girls (and boys) who were abused were, and her parents taught her from a very early age to be extremely wary of priests, and especially of being alone with them, so she was spared that abuse.
The earth used to be spherical.  Then those Pesky Semites came along, and the sheer weight of their ideas flattened it. :LOL:

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan
(06-29-2017, 01:57 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 01:10 PM)Estevao Wrote: I still haven't seen a shred of parametric sociological data to suggest that this problem is any worse in the Catholic Church than in other places where there is contact between older people in positions of authority and vulnerable children (public schools, sports teams, summer camps, mosques, synagogues, Orthodox churches, Protestant outfits, etc.) Just anecdotes and a very obvious media smear campaign. The government here in Canada often blathers on about "evidence based policy" and leftists often pride themselves to "love science". But not in this case. But anti-Catholicism is the last acceptable prejudice so it doesn't matter to them.

I'm not suggesting that "this problem" is any worse in the Catholic Church than elsewhere.  I've seen statistics that indicate that, in fact, sexual abuse by Catholic priests is no worse than, or even less common than by adults in the society at large.  However, part of the problem is the willful and knowing cover-ups by the hierarchy, to protect its own, so to speak, and....the fact that priests, ministers, rabbis, etc. are, or should be, held to a much higher moral and ethical standard than coaches, teachers, etc.  After all, they hold a position of trust rather unparalleled elsewhere, dealing with people's souls and spiritual life, and, therefor are or should be held more highly accountable.

Then there's the fact that, at least here in the U.S., there are rather many more Catholic priests than either Orthodox priests, rabbis, or imams, thereby coming into contact with and affecting a larger vulnerable population.

Now...don't go and get me wrong and think I'm making a comparison that I'm not, but when you wrote about the Catholic Church's "meticulous record keeping" I couldn't help but think about the Nazis and their meticulous record keeping.

As for being very, very careful about who your kids interact with....yes, by all means!!  However, careful as you might be, you can't be with them every minute of every day.  If there are conditions in their lives which make them vulnerable to predators (who are usually extremely intelligent and cunning), even much greater vigilance is required, but usually totally lacking.

Have you seen the Netflix series The Keepers?  I can't recommend it highly enough, but it ain't for the faint-hearted!  My dear Mrs. J Michael attended the school from its opening and knew personally a number of the people involved.  Thankfully, she wasn't vulnerable in the sense that the girls (and boys) who were abused were, and her parents taught her from a very early age to be extremely wary of priests, and especially of being alone with them, so she was spared that abuse.

Is record keeping bad because the Nazis' did it? I mean that's how we know so much about their crimes. Soviet crimes are a little less well known, yet they were, I would argue, more evil. Speaking of record keeping, this blog is kept by a lawyer who defends abuse victims in Canada. She is also a practicing Catholic it appears. I follow it from time to time. Record keeping is good.

http://www.theinquiry.ca/wordpress/

Unfortunately that wasn't the only reason they covered it up. Bishops and other people of authority during the time when most of these abuses occurred were listening to the psychologists who were telling them to give these priests some therapy and send him on his way, and there was not the same odiousness back then against pedophilia that exists now. The sociologist Philip Jenkins has written a lot about the Catholic sex abuse crisis and actually brought to bear the discipline of sociology on it. 

I would like to see The Keepers. Sr. Helena Burns' blog gave a good recommendation about it so I plan to try and watch it. Netflix is funny here in Canada though, and I have trouble watching these sorts of things about child sex abuse. It really gets my blood boiling. Same reason why I don't read Sylvia's site that much.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm trying to be an apologist here. I would say the child sex abuse scandal is the worst thing that Catholicism has brought to the world in its history. But I also think it should be contextualized and now just paraded around as some sort of proof that disproves Catholicism. For instance, in America, you guys have a huge history of anti-Catholicism and that is undeniable. I don't think it just went away when Kennedy became President, I think it's still very much there and the trope of "priests rape boys" is evidence of that. This is anecdotal of course but here in Canada I have encountered little to no flak from the sex abuse scandal. The residential school system, yes. The Crusades and Inquisition (well duh), but not that, and I would argue that is because half of our national identity originated from Catholic Quebec, so there isn't that same anti-Catholicism here.
Hasn't this person been accused multiple times before of this sort of thing?
"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth. For the first heaven and the first earth was gone, and the sea is now no more.

And I John saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And I heard a great voice from the throne, saying: Behold the tabernacle of God with men, and he will dwell with them. And they shall be his people; and God himself with them shall be their God.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and death shall be no more, nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow shall be any more, for the former things are passed away." The Apocalypse 21:1-4

http://allourneedsarespecial.blogspot.ca/
(06-29-2017, 12:55 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 11:23 AM)Optatus Cleary Wrote: I visited St. Mary's Cathedral in Sydney once and was amazed by the admiration for Cardinal Pell that I heard from the people there. I had really thought of him as one of the good leaders in the Church. I even hoped, when the name "George" was announced from the balcony, that it would be "Pell" and not "Bergoglio" that would follow. I guess that shows the folly of admiring people who are still living and able to disappoint.

Given what's transpired and been brought to light over the last however many years (20? 30? 50? More??) regarding the Catholic Church's participation in sexual abuse by her priests and bishops and the subsequent horrific cover ups; given that it appears to still be going on, or at least more is being uncovered, I thing the Church's reputation is already tainted for a long, long time to come.  I know any number of people who won't set foot in or near a Catholic church solely (as if that's not enough?!) because of the sexual abuse scandal(s) that are more and more becoming known and have already been revealed.  Sad.  Truly, truly sad....

And yet parents will continue to approvingly send their children to public schools where teachers rape students by the droves.  Peculiarly it is the opposite there, the women are the paedophiles while the you hear little of the male teachers, simply because there is more women in the school system than men.

Folks its simple, until we begin the process of calling for an end to the sexual perversions and licentiousness in all forms of media, we should expect the corruption of our youth to grow exponentially.
(06-29-2017, 05:12 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 12:55 PM)J Michael Wrote:

And yet parents will continue to approvingly send their children to public schools where teachers rape students by the droves.  Peculiarly it is the opposite there, the women are the paedophiles while the you hear little of the male teachers, simply because there is more women in the school system than men.

Folks its simple, until we begin the process of calling for an end to the sexual perversions and licentiousness in all forms of media, we should expect the corruption of our youth to grow exponentially.
I agree, AustenBosten. Perverts go where they can find victims, and the schools are one place where they go. Churches are another. And no organization likes having to deal with these problems, so they often get concealed. I like to think it happens less and less, but who knows?

Working at a school, I can say absolutely that there is no open tolerance for this kind of thing. If anyone even mildly defended such actions he or she would be ostracized and probably face disciplinary action. But it still happens because perverts conceal themselves where they can do the most damage. 

That's why it is somewhat surprising from such a high and well-known Cardinal: it's easy to hide as a priest or a teacher: it's harder to hide as a cardinal.  I can easily see a cardinal covering up these crimes, but committing them seems to require a whole extra layer of stupidity or hubris. 

I was never a special fan of Cardinal Pell, but I knew some people who were.  I had always thought he was a "not perfect, but essentially reliable" churchman, sort of like Pope Benedict. And of the two cardinals I knew of named George (Pell and Bergoglio) I know that when I heard the first name I thought "well, it can't be Bergoglio so it's probably Pell."

And it's hard to say "hopefully it's not true."  Yes, I hope that the cardinal never molested anyone. But to hope for that is to hope that several men are falsely accusing him, possibly for money or influence, and risking their souls in the process. I'm praying that somehow someone admits what they have done, whether it's Pell or his accusers, so that whoever is doing evil can be reconciled with God.
"I am a Christian, and indeed a Roman Catholic, so that I do not expect ‘history’ to be anything but a ‘long defeat’ — though it contains (and in a legend may contain more clearly and movingly) some samples or glimpses of final victory." -J.R.R. Tolkien

"I know quite well that, to you as to me, the Church which once felt like a refuge, now often feels like a trap. There is nowhere else to go! (I wonder if this desperate feeling, the last state of loyally hanging on, was not, even more often than is actually recorded in the Gospels, felt by Our Lord’s followers in His earthly life-time?) I think there is nothing to do but pray, for the Church, the Vicar of Christ, and for ourselves; and meanwhile to exercise the virtue of loyalty, which indeed only becomes a virtue when one is under pressure to desert it." -J.R.R. Tolkien

"There is none so blind as he who will not agree with me." -someone else