Outside Of Your Catholic Faith...
What are your other interests ?

My biggest one is history, and there, I'm all over the place from ancient Athens and Sparta to the modern Middle East. In the last 5 yrs or so, for the first time in my life I've really gotten heavily into the Old West, so much so that I'm trying to write a story about how it was actually possible for Doc Holliday (despite the evidence to the contrary) to have killed Johnny Ringo in 1882. I'm also a crime buff and into unsolved murders (it takes all kinds ) and canoeing when I can find the time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eric F's post:
  • formerbuddhist
My favorite pastime is being outdoors, especially with my family. I like to hike, hunt, fish, camp, and shoot. I've recently become interested in mycology. I'm a huge fan of conservation; showing respect and gratitude for God's gift to us in nature. I enjoy spending time in the woods with my kids, teaching them to respect and appreciate nature. I must be doing something right, because my youngest boy did his science project on e. Coli in water, lol.

My other passion is cooking. I am the family chef, and do probably 95% of the cooking, which works out well. When I get home from work, I get to do something I like and I'm not sitting (having sat all day), and my wife, who's been homeschooling, gets to rest and sit. I'll eat any type of food, although my favorites are Cajun and anything slavic (my mom's family is Slovene).
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • formerbuddhist
Outside of my Catholic Faith I have a TON of interests and pursuits. I love skateboarding, hiking, birdwatching, tree and plant identification and herbal medicine, reading anything, but especially history and classics , comparative religion, body surfing and swimming at the beach ( here in Florida its almost an endless summer! ) , language learning ( currently I'm using Duolingo to learn Russian and Vietnamese...at least a little) , shadowboxing..cooking a new recipe every now and than and probably something else i forgot to mention.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
                                                  That's funny about shadow boxing, because I'm in my 50's now, and ever since  I was about 12, I've shadow boxed almost every day of my life.
Lots of hobbies. I'm a third degree black belt (sandan) in judo and hope to achieve the next belt. As I result, I help with coaching. I recently started training in Brazilian jujutsu; it's fun. I love to box as well and have done that since around the age of 10 (?!). On the side, I've done some knife training but since there aren't any sparring partners around, except my dad, I don't do that anymore. (And my dad would be beat me quickly anyways.) On top of this, I'll probably go back to equestrian sports once I have adequate energy levels again.

Collecting music is also a big hobby of mine. Maybe not a Trad's kind of music but I hunt down rare vinyl, anything strange or that was in low circulation. As well, anything that I just like and want to have. I have a room in my house just for this purpose. Already noted on here my balalaika and accordion playing.

Eurasian history is also a fun hobby but it also helps with my work so I'm not sure if that's a hobby then? As a result, I like reading/tracking down strange Eurasian philosophical texts. I guess you could consider my interest in Eurasian indigenous cultures' folklore a hobby too.

A much loved friend is in prison so writing him letters, sending him packages from the prison store is another hobby.

And then there's vexillology, fashion, gemology....
Nothing, nothing better happen to one hair on my gorgeous head. Can you dig it?
Since I graduated, I still maintain an interest in chemistry but I continue to be curious about other branches that I would have liked to have learned.

Some general Non-scientific topics that I dabble into are History (American and other countries), Literature, Film theory/criticism, Gaming,  Music, and Chess.
(07-11-2017, 02:32 PM)RedCaves Wrote: Some general Non-scientific topics that I dabble into are History (American and other countries), Literature, Film theory/criticism, Gaming,  Music, and Chess.

Chess is an interest of mine as well. I wish I had someone who would play it with me. I think my boyfriend will play a game or two with me someday. My dad and I used to play it regularly.