A question I have no answer for
A "vanilla" Catholic friend of mine and I were talking about traditional orders and societies, mainly the FSSP. The question she posed was essentially this: why would men become priests in the FSSP when the "fertile ground" for evangelization is in the Novus Ordo? She agrees that the traditional liturgies are very beautiful, but she wonders how effective they are when most people will think that they're just being archaic. She says that most people who affiliate with the traditional liturgies are already well catechized, and therefore it would be better for a man to become a diocesan priest in order to evangelize to the uncatechized masses. What should I say in response?
Corpus Christi, salva me.

Check out my new blog: A Young Popish American
(07-17-2017, 07:43 PM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: A "vanilla" Catholic friend of mine and I were talking about traditional orders and societies, mainly the FSSP. The question she posed was essentially this: why would men become priests in the FSSP when the "fertile ground" for evangelization is in the Novus Ordo? She agrees that the traditional liturgies are very beautiful, but she wonders how effective they are when most people will think that they're just being archaic. She says that most people who affiliate with the traditional liturgies are already well catechized, and therefore it would be better for a man to become a diocesan priest in order to evangelize to the uncatechized masses. What should I say in response?

How are the "well catechized" supposed to receive the sacraments if all the priests are off evangelizing "the uncatechized masses"?

Does a Catholic stop needing a priest if he/she is "well catechized"?
(07-17-2017, 07:43 PM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: A "vanilla" Catholic friend of mine and I were talking about traditional orders and societies, mainly the FSSP. The question she posed was essentially this: why would men become priests in the FSSP when the "fertile ground" for evangelization is in the Novus Ordo? She agrees that the traditional liturgies are very beautiful, but she wonders how effective they are when most people will think that they're just being archaic. She says that most people who affiliate with the traditional liturgies are already well catechized, and therefore it would be better for a man to become a diocesan priest in order to evangelize to the uncatechized masses. What should I say in response?

Well statistics do not lie. Traditional seminaries are growing, and NO are faltering. I think a man would go to FSSP or SSPX, because they want the Faith and not something watered down.

Let's be honest, the younger generations reject the NO, they find it lame and boring. NO tends to never take itself seriously.
[-] The following 2 users Like austenbosten's post:
  • dahveed, Zedta

In addition to the other comments, I say that there are plenty of well catechized traditionalists who need good priests who can help them through their struggles in their spiritual life and in life in general. We are all sinners, we all need help. Well catechized Catholics fall into habitual sin and vice just like any others.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
Evangelization is only one part of the priest's job. His main function is to care for those Catholics under him.

By 'archaic', I assume she's talking about the fact that the Traditional Latin Mass is in Latin. You should point her to this article: https://www.fisheaters.com/TLMintroduction.html
Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

St Michael, pray for us.
The Mass is not, primarily, a venue for catechesis. It is meant to feed the faithful -- hence, until relatively recently, those who were not eligible to receive the Blessed Sacrament were also not even eligible to remain in the church during the Mass of the Eucharist. 

Furthermore, it is not the primary role of the Priest to catechize or evangelize. That is most properly the role of the Bishops who are responsible for teaching, and of the Laity who, according to the Second Vatican Council, are responsible for sanctifying the secular world in which they live. 

It sounds mostly like your "vanilla" friend has conflated the role of the Mass and Priest with the role of the layman.
LOL She thinks people get catechized in the Novus Ordo world?
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
The situation of someone who is well catechized is a perfect example of how people want to bring the world into the Church, instead of bringing the Church into the world. Instead of watering down the Truth so that it is easy to swallow, make people appreciate the Truth.

Instead of destroying traditional liturgy so that you can patch up NO, invite the people who attend NO to receive a good doctrinal education.
(07-18-2017, 07:22 AM)Mozalbete Wrote: Instead of destroying traditional liturgy so that you can patch up NO, invite the people who attend NO to receive a good doctrinal education.

This is an over-generalization. You don't have to destroy traditional liturgy to patch up the NO (see EWTN's televised Masses; no TLM was harmed in the making of these broadcasts) and people who attend the NO (like me) don't necessarily need to receive a good doctrinal education. Some of us have been properly catechized.
(07-18-2017, 07:54 AM)In His Love Wrote:
(07-18-2017, 07:22 AM)Mozalbete Wrote: Instead of destroying traditional liturgy so that you can patch up NO, invite the people who attend NO to receive a good doctrinal education.

This is an over-generalization. You don't have to destroy traditional liturgy to patch up the NO (see EWTN's televised Masses; no TLM was harmed in the making of these broadcasts) and people who attend the NO (like me) don't necessarily need to receive a good doctrinal education. Some of us have been properly catechized.

The point is you can't just "transfer resources" from TLM, which is an example to follow, in order to compensate the lack of education in NO at the cost of destroying TLM and the example. The case at hand does imply this "destruction".

I attend the NO, but reality remains that it is there that I would look for people who haven't been properly catechized. Those people, who are not the totality of people who attend NO, need to worry about their religious education.