A question I have no answer for
Fair enough.
The Mass is of course one part of the puzzle. I think in today's world we place such a huge role on the priest's sermon (I would think this is because of how central it is to Protestant services) that we forget that we're supposed to be learning outside of Mass. We can't discount the homily, there are many wonderful homilies throughout history that have done much good to teach the faithful. However, good catechesis should really be a mixture of at home, religious education/school, and in the church. We can't expect the priest to be the one and only teacher. 

For many parents, they just send their kids to CCD or RE (whatever it's called these days) or maybe Catholic school and that's it. No at home instruction (not that they're educated on the faith themselves) and some don't even go to Mass every week. So you pretty much have to hope that these church run religious education programs are top notch, which let's be honest, they're probably not. Usually it's a bunch of lay people who certainly don't have any theological training teaching the courses filled with new Church happy clappy nonsense. In the end it leads to Catholics who haven't the slightest clue about what it means to be Catholic and don't know much more about theology than your typical atheist. 

When I was young I went through CCD until first communion and then my parents took me out of CCD. I ended up getting my confirmation as an adult and in a way I'm glad I did it that way. Going through RCIA as an adult put me on a journey to crave learning about Catholicism, finding the Latin Mass, and being where I am today. I look at all of rest of my friends who went the traditional route of going through 8 years of CCD and they don't know anything. They probably have a first grade knowledge of Catholicism, if that. Maybe programs have improved a bit since I was a kid, but the results from my generation speak for themselves.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
Legem credendi lex statuat supplicandi.

If one wants to be doctrinally orthodox, it will only be by the liturgy which corresponds with that belief. The traditional doctrine of the Church and the Traditional Latin Liturgy are two sides of the same coin.

If one wanted to change the doctrine the best method is by changing the liturgy to at least implicitly teach this doctrine.

The Novus Ordo Missæ is the product of an effort to change doctrine (Modernism, Neo-Modernism and the Nouvelle Théologie) and the post-Vatican II errors are nurtured by the Novus Ordo Missæ.

A true traditional Catholic has a love for the traditional liturgy, but his motus operandi is not about merely the liturgy, but about fostering the Catholic Faith, whole and entire. The rejection of the Novus Ordo Missæ is only a consequence of the effort to preserve the Faith.

In fact that is the only reasonable reason that a traditional order or fraternity exist. Were it to have any other rationale, it would be pointless. If men enter these orders or fraternities it must be because by the grace of God, they realize that the only fully orthodox expression of the Faith is embodied by this ancient liturgy, and they want their effort to teach and preach to be founded on that solid expression of the Faith.

In such a case it is not a matter of "preference" for the traditional liturgy, but of a true and essential need.

That is why someone who has no problem with the Novus Ordo Missæ (no matter how reverently it is done), or a priest who celebrates it, does not fully understand what the liturgy is and how it is essentially and intimately tied up with doctrine. 

Such are not bad men, or disingenuous, but such poor folks do approach the matter wrongly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Margaret-Mary
You tend to hear a lot about NO priests who start offering TLMs with some regularity and they tend to say it completely changes the way they see and understand the Mass and even has an impact on how they offer an NO Mass. Even the best intentioned priests lose out with the NO because it is lacking.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
It's the same reason not all priests become missionaries to the pagans--some are even cloistered monastics! The Church is a Body with many members and many different valuable functions.  Different people are called to different things.
[Image: catherinesiena-1.jpg]
Thanks for the answers
Corpus Christi, salva me.

Check out my new blog: A Young Popish American
This is a vocation, a calling from God. When the Trappists first came to Georgia the bishop was not too happy to have so many priests who would be contemplative and therefore unavailabe to help out. However in time he saw the value of a contemplative community. This situation with teh FSSP is similar. Everyone has a part to play in the evangelization but not everyone does everything. Think about how one of the patron saints of missionaries is St. Therese of Lisieux, a contemplative nun.