Explaining hell
In response to discovering that someone I know is a universalist. I've started up a thread on hell and explaining how only a Loving God would create hell and how people go to hell because they choose it. I would like a few tips and pointers on this, particularly about the justice of hell and what the torments symbolize. (I know about the worm of regret)
[Image: Blessed_Virgin_Mary_Holding_Jesus_with_S...abriel.jpg]
Glory to God
and
Hail Mary!
Does she believe that people eventually get out of hell, or that there is no hell, period?
I found this Podcast about the subject very helpful:

The Art of Catholic - "The Question of Hell with Dr. Michael Healy"
"Cor Jesu Rex Et Centrum Omnium Cordium, miserére nobis "

“To pray is to shed blood.” - Silouan the Athonite
[-] The following 1 user Likes JosefSilouan's post:
  • MaryLover
(07-23-2017, 12:27 AM)In His Love Wrote: Does she believe that people eventually get out of hell, or that there is no hell, period?

It sounds like she believes that there is no hell, period. She originally just said that she doesn't believe anyone goes to hell. But then a Protestant challenged her on it by asking if she believes that Satan would get out of hell in the end times, and she replied by saying that she believed that Satan would be "destroyed" in the end.
Glory to God
and
Hail Mary!
(07-23-2017, 04:43 AM)JosefSilouan Wrote: I found this Podcast about the subject very helpful:

Thank you, this has been very helpful. There are a few things I disagree with on this, but overall, very useful.
Glory to God
and
Hail Mary!
(07-23-2017, 11:34 PM)MaryLover Wrote:
(07-23-2017, 12:27 AM)In His Love Wrote: Does she believe that people eventually get out of hell, or that there is no hell, period?

It sounds like she believes that there is no hell, period. She originally just said that she doesn't believe anyone goes to hell. But then a Protestant challenged her on it by asking if she believes that Satan would get out of hell in the end times, and she replied by saying that she believed that Satan would be "destroyed" in the end.

https://www.catholic.com/tract/the-hell-there-is

This excerpt in particular is a great reference:

"[St.] Justin Martyr

"No more is it possible for the evildoer, the avaricious, and the treacherous to hide from God than it is for the virtuous. Every man will receive the eternal punishment or reward which his actions deserve. Indeed, if all men recognized this, no one would choose evil even for a short time, knowing that he would incur the eternal sentence of fire. On the contrary, he would take every means to control himself and to adorn himself in virtue, so that he might obtain the good gifts of God and escape the punishments" (First Apology 12 [A.D. 151]). "
[-] The following 1 user Likes In His Love's post:
  • MaryLover
Well, think of it like this. First, you should agree with this person about God having not "created hell." God shares his power of creation with all that he creates. God in essence thus gives the creature the power to create. When we sin we choose to create an experience of hell all our own. 

Also, we shouldn't confine ourselves to thinking that heaven and hell are "places" with universal geographic coordinates such that its an either or. How one experiences the afterlife is in my opinion what differentiates heaven from hell. For those who reject God, heaven would be an experience of hell because of all the grief of having rejected such a benevolent / loving God that they are now face to face with. For those who embraces God, heaven would just be an affirmation of everything they already believed in their heart without the chains of this world getting in their way.

I would tell this person, God doesn't create or send people to Hell but he does give us the freedom to enter it all on our own!
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
(07-23-2017, 11:35 PM)MaryLover Wrote:
(07-23-2017, 04:43 AM)JosefSilouan Wrote: I found this Podcast about the subject very helpful:

Thank you, this has been very helpful. There are a few things I disagree with on this, but overall, very useful.

What did you disagree with? I think pretty much everything Dr. Healy says is doctrinally sound. However, I listened to it a pretty long time ago, so I might have missed something.
"Cor Jesu Rex Et Centrum Omnium Cordium, miserére nobis "

“To pray is to shed blood.” - Silouan the Athonite

Someone on my hell thread just pulled out the "people eventually get out of hell" thread, can you please provide me with some material dealing with that error?
Glory to God
and
Hail Mary!
Can someone please explain or provide information on invincible ignorance, someone brought that up on my thread, and I don't know that 100%. I'm pretty sure someone in invincible ignorance needs to be completely faithful to the natural moral law, what is required for a person with invincible ignorance to be saved?
Glory to God
and
Hail Mary!