Lutheran Consubstantiation
Luther is tricky because he wanted his very uneducated flock to catch the meaning of things. He disliked using undefined words and would often use only the definition instead. In, around, under and through is the classic Trent definition of transubstantiation--and the appearances of bread and wine remain after Consecration. I think that the term consubstantiation is a term Luther never himself used, but over reasoning people, which Luther did not like, tried to pin down the definition later. This may be why the Catholic Church has never condemned the Lutheran (from Luther's time) liturgy like it did the Anglican. Anglican was very clear that the consecration was merely a symbol. It just was not definite enough for the Church to condemn, perhaps.

I am told by scholars that Luther remained faithful to his devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary until death and that he believed Her to be the Mother of God and forever a Virgin. Luther may have been bi-polar or some such thing, as he suffered from severe depression. So when he goes into his rantings, this must be taken into account. Also the fact that there is evidence that the printer added foul words to Luther's text in order to sell his printed material. There has been a lot of research and sharing of information between the Vatican and certain Lutheran groups. I know little of that, however, it does show that it is up to the trained prelates and scholars to do this work. We can only make up their own minds when they clearly present information to us, in my opinion.
(03-15-2018, 04:09 PM)greatdame Wrote: Anglican was very clear that the consecration was merely a symbol.

From the prayer of consecration in the 1662 Anglican Book of Common Prayer:

Quote:Grant us therefore, gracious Lord, so to eat the flesh of thy dear Son Jesus Christ, and to drink his blood, that our sinful bodies may be made clean by his body, and our souls washed through his most precious blood, and that we may evermore dwell in him, and he in us. Amen. 

...may be partakers of his most blessed body and blood:

The words of administration of Holy Communion,

Quote:The Body of our Lord Jesus Christ, which was given for thee, preserve thy body and soul unto everlasting life: Take and eat this in remembrance that Christ died for thee, and feed on him in thy heart by faith, with thanksgiving. 

The blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, which was shed for thee, preserve thy body and soul unto everlasting life: Drink this in remembrance that Christ’s blood was shed for thee, and be thankful. 
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe