How accurate is this examination of conscience?
https://www.catholicparents.org/wp-conte...ument1.pdf

I tried to go to confession yesterday and had to walk + or - 5 miles to get there but there was no priest because they were on vacation and it wasn't actually a confession time, I looked on the list just now and it seems like I wasn't actually in mortal sin, is this list trustworthy? If not that would be a lot more worrying because I'd have to wait til Saturday.
(08-03-2017, 10:48 AM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: https://www.catholicparents.org/wp-conte...ument1.pdf

I tried to go to confession yesterday and had to walk + or - 5 miles to get there but there was no priest because they were on vacation and it wasn't actually a confession time, I looked on the list just now and it seems like I wasn't actually in mortal sin, is this list trustworthy? If not that would be a lot more worrying because I'd have to wait til Saturday.

In my opinion, that is a decent examination of conscience.
Lynne

+JMJ+

"Certainly, you must be informed about modern errors because preaching the truth involves preaching about distancing oneself from error; but do not make the negative, secondary aspect into the most important! Your first aim is not to fight against error but to know the truth. Your central concern should be study, your sanctification, silence, meditation, and the exercise of charity." - Archbishop Lefebvre
(08-03-2017, 11:16 AM)catquilt Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 10:48 AM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: https://www.catholicparents.org/wp-conte...ument1.pdf

Should it be trusted in terms of if going to confession is necessary before communion? Like are there things it lists wrong as venial when they actually are mortal or things that are mortal they didn't mention?
Seems like a decent list. 

I found this one kind of peculiar: - Playing Dungeons and Dragons or similar games  

I've never played D&D before, but why would it be sinful to play?
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(08-03-2017, 11:26 AM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 11:16 AM)catquilt Wrote:

Should it be trusted in terms of if going to confession is necessary before communion? Like are there things it lists wrong as venial when they actually are mortal or things that are mortal they didn't mention?

I play it pretty often. The objection as I've read it is that it is often using stuff like magic and wizards and stuff we would call "demonic." I've never played using magic or anything, often using the rules but playing as a Christian or at least not a pagan, so it's not orthodox Dungeons and Dragons. 

Legitimate DnD could be thought of in that way with a very conservative look. 

It would indicate this examination is pretty traditional which is good.
(08-03-2017, 11:31 AM)GangGreen Wrote: Seems like a decent list. 

I found this one kind of peculiar: - Playing Dungeons and Dragons or similar games  

I've never played D&D before, but why would it be sinful to play?

Because someone's been reading too many Chick tracts. :)

Yes, there's plenty of immoral entertainment out there. But I'm not so sure that creating a story - and that's really what these games are, collective storytelling - that's set in a fictional universe where the true gods aren't God and where things like magic, since it wouldn't come from demons, are allowed, is immoral. There's a difference between denying God in the real world and telling a story about a fictional one that's other than Christian.
I notice that is said that smoking and tobacco chewing are venial sins?  

How accurate is that? And under what conditions?  Is this like smoking two packs of menthols a day while pregnant or breastfeeding, or does this also include just a cigar once in a while?

Surely smoking a pipe every now and again or having a cigar with company isn't sinful, in the same sense all alcohol would be sinful?
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
(08-03-2017, 12:31 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: I notice that is said that smoking and tobacco chewing are venial sins?  

How accurate is that? And under what conditions?  Is this like smoking two packs of menthols a day while pregnant or breastfeeding, or does this also include just a cigar once in a while?

Surely smoking a pipe every now and again or having a cigar with company isn't sinful, in the same sense all alcohol would be sinful?

I think they're wrong on that too. 

Generally this examination of conscience seems to be more conservative than really necessary, which is good IMHO.
Ha I'm pretty sure like 90% of entertainment is worse than Dungeons and Dragons, in DnD you even make up the story yourself! And tobacco isn't sinful unless it's abused. Don't take these lists as infallible.
(08-03-2017, 12:37 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote:
(08-03-2017, 12:31 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: I notice that is said that smoking and tobacco chewing are venial sins?  

I think they're wrong on that too. 

Generally this examination of conscience seems to be more conservative than really necessary, which is good IMHO.

If nothing else, it might make you think about the way you conduct yourself with things that are not per se sinful. So while smoking a cigar in and of itself is not a sin, you might investigate whether you smoke too much, spend too much on expensive tobaccos, etc. It's probably a good idea for all of us to examine all aspects of our lives to make sure we aren't making excuses for ourselves.
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!