A possibly naive question: how accurate is this?
I suggest looking into St. JPII's Theology of the Body. I went to a series of lectures about it and I thought it was very good. Its all about the dignity of human life, how we are made in the image of God, how we are called to love through our vocations, etc.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
(08-09-2017, 01:08 PM)Dominicus Wrote: I suggest looking into St. JPII's Theology of the Body. I went to a series of lectures about it and I thought it was very good. Its all about the dignity of human life, how we are made in the image of God, how we are called to love through our vocations, etc.

You obviously missed the last page of posts :

MagisterMusicae Wrote:Ah, yes. "Theology of the Bawdy" as we used to call in in the seminary ...

West himself has said "Theology of the Body" is meant to "complete what the sexual revolution began."

Dr. Alice von Hildebrand once said about West's presentation of sexual mores that he ignores the "tremendous dangers" of our fallen nature and concupiscence : "It is something that calls for holiness, which very few of us achieve. It is a sheer illusion to believe that by some sort of new technique we can find the solution to the problem ... It seems to me that [West's] presentation, his vocabulary, the vulgarity of things that he uses are things that simply indicate that even though he might have good intentions he has derailed and is doing a lot of harm."
For someone who has studied the traditional theology of the Church, I can't in any more strong terms suggest we stay away from "Theology of the Body".
It's not that it teaches things that are strictly speaking immoral, but it is personalist and individualistic, and that's almost more dangerous.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • catquilt
(08-08-2017, 10:34 PM)In His Love Wrote: "Yes women are subservient to men, that has been that way since the beginning of time and this recent feminism of women and men being equal is a novel invention."

We're equal in dignity, according to the Church. St. Paul says that there is no longer male and female, that we are one in Christ. And I disagree that all women are subservient to all men, full stop. A woman is submissive to her husband, not necessarily to the guy on the street who's catcalling her or the guy at the grocery store bagging her food.

I apologize if I gave the wrong impression. Please allow me a chance to rebuke any erroneous position. Women are equal in dignity, but women is subservient to men by the fact that women came from man, and God deigned to place man over the head of women. It is why you are to cover your head in the Church, to remind yourself of your submissiveness and to remind men of your preciousness.

Women serve to submit to man as a companion, not as a slave. Woman has full liberty of conscience and will, but her duty is to her husband and being a good wife and mother, likewise man's duty is to be a good husband and father. The woman must do what she can to help assist her husband, and the husband must do what he can to provide and care for his wife and family.

This is not a one-way street, no matter how much feminism has indoctrinated you into believing. Man has a great responsibility and burden too...it's not all fun and games. When women give up their roles, men become immature, weak, and effeminate...it is precisely why there are so few decent men today in society and it's why society is in danger of being subdued by a truly misogynist society because of how weak, pathetic, and emasculated are men in the feminized world have become.

"A woman is submissive to her husband, not necessarily to the guy on the street who's catcalling her or the guy at the grocery store bagging her food."

First off a man cat-calling you, is failing in his duty to respect you as a woman full of dignity. Likewise, a wife should not submit to her husband if he is drunk. Think of it as a soldier refusing an order from an superior because the superior is asking the soldier to do something illegal. The soldier, still being submissive to a superior, does have the right to protest and refuse an order since it is illegal and the superior is not above the UMCJ. Likewise a woman has a right to disobey her husband who's drunk because he is not living up to the Law superior to him.
Fair enough, austen. I don't mind the whole 'companion' and 'servant, but not slave' roles. Christ Himself came to serve. It's Satan who has a problem with serving people. I guess the comment just rubbed me the wrong way because of the way it was phrased: "Women need to know their place in the universe" sounded very unsavory to me, but I guess we all need to know our place in the universe. That's why there's so much chaos today. Women want to be men (sex changes, 'marrying' women, not having children, working in very masculine jobs or trying to overtake the priesthood) and vice versa, and then the children of these confused people also grow up confused, perpetuating the cycle.
Perhaps I need to work on my humility. I don't know.

I like these quotes:

"I feel an indescribable pleasure in reading the Acts of the Martyrs; but when the Martyr is a woman, my enthusiasm is doubled. For the frailer the instrument, the great is the grace, the brighter the trophy, the grander the victory; and this, not because of her weakness, but because the devil is conquered by her, by whom he once conquered us. He conquered by a woman, and now a woman conquers him. She that was once his weapon is now his destroyer, brave and invincible. That first one sinned, and died; this one died that she might not sin. Eve was flushed by a lying promise, and broke the law of God; our heroine disdained to live when her living was to depend on her breaking her faith to Him who was her dearest Lord. What excuse, after this, for men, if they be soft and cowards? Can they hope for pardon, when women fought the holy battle with such brave, and manly, and generous hearts?" — St. John Chrysostom

"The feminine sex is ennobled by virtue of the Savior’s being born of a human mother; a woman was the gateway through which God found entrance to humankind." — St. Edith Stein

"The level of any civilization is always its level of its womanhood. In as much as woman is loved, it follows that the nobler a woman is, the nobler man will have to be to be deserving of that love. That is why the level of any civilization is always its level of its womanhood." — The Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen “Women Who Don’t Fail.”

https://stpeterslist.com/9-quotes-on-the...lic-church
[-] The following 1 user Likes In His Love's post:
  • JosefSilouan
Those are some good quotes. Feminists love to throw around the word "misogynist", but they're the ones that really hate femininity, constantly telling women that they have to be like men if they don't want to be "oppressed". And we know what they think of children - they even have their own sacrament for getting rid of them.

Maybe the views expressed in the OP aren't entirely Catholic, but it is understandable when people see how horribly things have gone wrong and overreact to it. But when people do, particularly on the Internet, the reaction is usually name-calling rather than any kind of reasoned discussion. Instead of "here's where you're wrong, and why", it's "you [expletive] misogynist". Which doesn't do anything to convince the person of anything.

(08-10-2017, 02:37 AM)In His Love Wrote: I like these quotes:

"I feel an indescribable pleasure in reading the Acts of the Martyrs; but when the Martyr is a woman, my enthusiasm is doubled. For the frailer the instrument, the great is the grace, the brighter the trophy, the grander the victory; and this, not because of her weakness, but because the devil is conquered by her, by whom he once conquered us. He conquered by a woman, and now a woman conquers him. She that was once his weapon is now his destroyer, brave and invincible. That first one sinned, and died; this one died that she might not sin. Eve was flushed by a lying promise, and broke the law of God; our heroine disdained to live when her living was to depend on her breaking her faith to Him who was her dearest Lord. What excuse, after this, for men, if they be soft and cowards? Can they hope for pardon, when women fought the holy battle with such brave, and manly, and generous hearts?" — St. John Chrysostom

The Church even uses this one in the liturgy - it's the second set of Lessons for the second Nocturn pro Martyre tantum (that is, female saints who are martyrs but not virgins).

(08-10-2017, 02:37 AM)In His Love Wrote: "The level of any civilization is always its level of its womanhood. In as much as woman is loved, it follows that the nobler a woman is, the nobler man will have to be to be deserving of that love. That is why the level of any civilization is always its level of its womanhood." — The Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen “Women Who Don’t Fail.”

https://stpeterslist.com/9-quotes-on-the...lic-church

That certainly applies to today's society, and doesn't look good for either sex.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • In His Love