Receiving Holy Communion more than once a day
I adhere to the traditional practice of receiving Holy Communion no more than once a day (barring any exceptions; i.e. danger of death/Viaticum, a funeral Mass, a nuptial Mass, etc). 

I have a question regarding Saturday vigil Masses: If one receives the Eucharist at daily Mass Saturday morning, and then receives the Eucharist at the vigil Mass that evening, has he received Holy Communion twice in the same day? Or would the reception at daily Mass count as Saturday, and the reception at the vigil Mass count as Sunday? And what if one also received at Mass on Sunday; would the vigil Mass plus the Sunday Mass count as twice in one day?

I'll make it clear that I understand Canon 917 allows a second reception.
Corpus Christi, salva me.

Check out my new blog: A Young Popish American
(08-08-2017, 05:51 PM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: I adhere to the traditional practice of receiving Holy Communion no more than once a day (barring any exceptions; i.e. danger of death/Viaticum, a funeral Mass, a nuptial Mass, etc). 

I have a question regarding Saturday vigil Masses: If one receives the Eucharist at daily Mass Saturday morning, and then receives the Eucharist at the vigil Mass that evening, has he received Holy Communion twice in the same day? Or would the reception at daily Mass count as Saturday, and the reception at the vigil Mass count as Sunday? And what if one also received at Mass on Sunday; would the vigil Mass plus the Sunday Mass count as twice in one day?

I'll make it clear that I understand Canon 917 allows a second reception.

Well I think it would count as twice in a day. Because when you go to a vigil mass you're not going to Sunday mass. You're going to something which would anticipate it, it's not Sunday. It's fulfilling the obligation but not on the day. I'd recommend against it.
The canons concerning the number of Communions in a day, whether 1983 or 1917 Code, refer to a natural 24-hour day, reckoned from midnight to midnight (cf. Canon 202 §1 (1983 CIC); Canon 32 (1917 CIC)) unless expressly stated otherwise.

Though I Vespers of Sunday is in a certain liturgical sense Sunday (this is somewhat debatable), it is unquestionably canonically Saturday. GoodKingWenceslas is essentially correct in his assessment. Also, the Mass on Saturday evening is NOT a "Vigil Mass"; it is the Sunday Mass anticipated on Saturday evening, so "anticipated Mass" is more accurate. In the NO, only certain feasts have Vigil Masses, which are not the same propers as the festal Mass. Sundays do not have any such formularies.
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes aquinas138's post:
  • LaudeturIesus
Ok, I was just wondering because I was travelling a few weeks ago with friends and I received Holy Communion at daily Mass and at the Saturday night Mass. Which is still licit, of course.

(08-08-2017, 07:40 PM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: Ok, I was just wondering because I was travelling a few weeks ago with friends and I received Holy Communion at daily Mass and at the Saturday night Mass. Which is still licit, of course.

Yes. I wouldn't do it again but there's probably nothing worth confessing in it or anything assuming you prepared at least a bit. 

Do you have scrupulosity? I'm kind of recovering from it.
(08-08-2017, 09:16 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote:
(08-08-2017, 07:40 PM)LaudeturIesus Wrote: Ok, I was just wondering because I was travelling a few weeks ago with friends and I received Holy Communion at daily Mass and at the Saturday night Mass. Which is still licit, of course.

Yes. I wouldn't do it again but there's probably nothing worth confessing in it or anything assuming you prepared at least a bit. 

Do you have scrupulosity? I'm kind of recovering from it.

There was no need to confess it; I broke no divine or ecclesiastical laws by receiving twice in one day. Canon law allows a second reception so I have nothing to be scrupulous about.

I was in the state of grace and hopefully had the proper dispositions.