The Great Bikini Debate
I am on a family vacation to the beach. I'm not a big beach goer, because honestly it just seems like a waste of time to me. Skin cancer, bacteria (I'm not a germ-a-phobe but the aquatic life pees and poops in it the water), scantily clad women, and I hate sun screening. Needless to say it wasn't my idea. Anyway, one can't help but to see a plethora of women (mothers no less) in bikini's that don't leave much to the imagination. I'm sure most aren't consciously going to the beach with the intention of turning heads, but these skimpy bikini's look a heck of a lot like a strippers uniform. To be honest, I think it would be far less scandalizing to just go nude than to buy some slits of fabric that show 95% and curve in ways that draw attention to certain features. I'm not saying public nudity is the answer, but if comfort and tanlines are really the issue then why even both with a suit at all. Is it just me or does the often trumpeted logic behind wearing a bikini sound fuzzy at best?

Perhaps if we had more nude beaches, the free-spirited folks could just go there and leave the rest us to enjoy a day without being flashed by butt cheeks and cleavage. Just curious what your thoughts are on this subject matter although I know its been discussed millions of times before. I just had to vent....
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
(08-13-2017, 04:58 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: I am on a family vacation to the beach. I'm not a big beach goer, because honestly it just seems like a waste of time to me. Skin cancer, bacteria (I'm not a germ-a-phobe but the aquatic life pees and poops in it the water), scantily clad women, and I hate sun screening. Needless to say it wasn't my idea. Anyway, one can't help but to see a plethora of women (mothers no less) in bikini's that don't leave much to the imagination. I'm sure most aren't consciously going to the beach with the intention of turning heads, but these skimpy bikini's look a heck of a lot like a strippers uniform. To be honest, I think it would be far less scandalizing to just go nude than to buy some slits of fabric that show 95% and curve in ways that draw attention to certain features. I'm not saying public nudity is the answer, but if comfort and tanlines are really the issue then why even both with a suit at all. Is it just me or does the often trumpeted logic behind wearing a bikini sound fuzzy at best?

Perhaps if we had more nude beaches, the free-spirited folks could just go there and leave the rest us to enjoy a day without being flashed by butt cheeks and cleavage. Just curious what your thoughts are on this subject matter although I know its been discussed millions of times before. I just had to vent....
To be honest public nudity would be a lot worse, the things that bikinis keep covered really are the difference between rated pg-13 and rated R. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but wearing a bikini is a mortal sin. 

As much as our nature tends to liking this, (not good) it's immodest and I don't think it will be rewarding to people looking for long lasting relationships. Really though lots of the time what folks wear at the beach really is like stripper clothes.
(08-13-2017, 08:35 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: To be honest public nudity would be a lot worse, the things that bikinis keep covered really are the difference between rated pg-13 and rated R. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but wearing a bikini is a mortal sin. 

As much as our nature tends to liking this, (not good) it's immodest and I don't think it will be rewarding to people looking for long lasting relationships. Really though lots of the time what folks wear at the beach really is like stripper clothes.

I hear what you are saying, but PG-13 and R is really a question of intent and POV. In 9th grade we watched a child birth in health class that showed everything. It wasn't really arousing or disturbing at all. If someone used their nudity to arouse, that is a different story. Again, I'm not advocating for public nudity but if we confined it to a portion of every beach the idea is the immodest folks will head there leaving the rest of us to enjoy the beach without the side-effect strip show.
Local anti-feminist.....if you think women deserve special treatment without any accountability for their actions expect to hear from me!
[-] The following 1 user Likes divinesilence80's post:
  • SaintJimmy
I don't think wearing a bikini is automatically a mortal sin, its certainly sinful but the culture has twisted it to the point that most people don't think twice about it. Its just become the thing women wear to the beach, chances are most don't pay attention to what's showing and what isn't, so perhaps this decreases their culpability. Now if a woman were to wear a bikini for the explicit purpose of showing off then that's different.

Then again this is just my opinion. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I personally don't really go swimming for multiple reasons, this is one of them.

By the way, nice to see you posting in a regular thread, DS. Haven't heard from you in a while.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
Ask yourself one question Would Our Lady wear a bikini? Then follow her modesty example.
[-] The following 2 users Like salus's post:
  • Darby Lear, SkyRise
(08-14-2017, 12:42 AM)Dominicus Wrote: I don't think wearing a bikini is automatically a mortal sin, its certainly sinful but the culture has twisted it to the point that most people don't think twice about it. Its just become the thing women wear to the beach, chances are most don't pay attention to what's showing and what isn't, so perhaps this decreases their culpability. Now if a woman were to wear a bikini for the explicit purpose of showing off then that's different.

Then again this is just my opinion. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I personally don't really go swimming for multiple reasons, this is one of them.

By the way, nice to see you posting in a regular thread, DS. Haven't heard from you in a while.

To the bold: Yes and no. If someone tried to "offer guidance" to today's young women about this subject matter you can bet you last $1000 that they would swiftly turn indignant then start spewing the feminist lines 1) I'm not responsible for men's sins and 2) It is my body and I will do what I want with it! So like I said earlier, I don't think women who wear bikini's are trying to arouse men, but they don't really give a darn if they do. The bikini for them is a symbol of pride / power / status and most are extremely intoxicated by it. Challenge a tyrants ego and the outcome is almost certainly going to be hostile. Think about it like this. No one who drinks alcohol and drives WANTS to kill anyone, but they are greatly increasing their chances of doing so by getting wasted. Sometimes the outcome does not line up with the intentions and as the old saying goes "the road to hell is paved with many good intentions."

Thanks for the welcome back! I think the site is working mostly like a charm now and I managed to get some help with the more advanced stuff. I'll still be tuning in the months to come, but I need a small break lol!

(08-14-2017, 05:35 PM)salus Wrote: Ask yourself one question Would Our Lady wear a bikini? Then follow her modesty example.

This guy/gal has an excellent point! The only issue however is that we would have to extrapolate a lot of what Out Lady "would do" in today's world. Would she have a smartphone? Would she be on CAF or Fish Eaters? I agree that the bikini one is clearer due to the modesty issue, but there is always that pit fall. Also, I do recall that in the ancient world toplessness wasn't really a taboo and there is also that old story about David watching the soldier's (I forgot his name) wife bathe nude in public. I'm not an expert on ancient Israel customs, but we have to take things in context too.
I think the vast majority of women wear bikinis because it's what every other women wears. Other factors like showing off and tan lines could come into play, it really depends on the person. I'm sure you have a lot of younger women who try to show off to men and compete against each other in "how hot they look". You also have some older women who like to show off that they "still got it". However, I think most others just wear it because it's the fashion. Anyway, you'll rarely go to the beach and see someone in a one piece... and even those these days can be skimpy in certain areas and look like lingerie. They could almost look more sexual because of the fact that it's an unexpected and more rare thing to see. 

It is funny how in our culture, women wearing their underwear around in public is not allowed, also if a man tries to take a peak at a woman's underwear it's seen as perverted, but go to the beach and you'll see women wearing what equates to underwear. These days we even see thong bikinis, so what exactly is the difference between this and wearing your underwear in public?
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
(08-15-2017, 06:44 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I think the vast majority of women wear bikinis because it's what every other women wears. Other factors like showing off and tan lines could come into play, it really depends on the person. I'm sure you have a lot of younger women who try to show off to men and compete against each other in "how hot they look". You also have some older women who like to show off that they "still got it". However, I think most others just wear it because it's the fashion. Anyway, you'll rarely go to the beach and see someone in a one piece... and even those these days can be skimpy in certain areas and look like lingerie. They could almost look more sexual because of the fact that it's an unexpected and more rare thing to see. 

It is funny how in our culture, women wearing their underwear around in public is not allowed, also if a man tries to take a peak at a woman's underwear it's seen as perverted, but go to the beach and you'll see women wearing what equates to underwear. These days we even see thong bikinis, so what exactly is the difference between this and wearing your underwear in public?

I agree that most women wear skimpy outfits in order to look like everyone else. It's always sad to see precocious children, or mature mothers, not wearing enough coverage.
(08-14-2017, 10:54 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 05:35 PM)salus Wrote: Ask yourself one question Would Our Lady wear a bikini? Then follow her modesty example.

This guy/gal has an excellent point! The only issue however is that we would have to extrapolate a lot of what Out Lady "would do" in today's world. Would she have a smartphone? Would she be on CAF or Fish Eaters? I agree that the bikini one is clearer due to the modesty issue, but there is always that pit fall. Also, I do recall that in the ancient world toplessness wasn't really a taboo and there is also that old story about David watching the soldier's (I forgot his name) wife bathe nude in public. I'm not an expert on ancient Israel customs, but we have to take things in context too.

The scriptures do not say that wife of Urias the Hethite was bathing in public.  The scriptures say that David saw her bathing while he walked on the roof of the king's palace.
(09-11-2017, 12:26 AM)yablabo Wrote: The scriptures do not say that wife of Urias the Hethite was bathing in public.  The scriptures say that David saw her bathing while he walked on the roof of the king's palace.

In many ancient cultures that was how it was done. Look at what was called "Thermae" in ancient times (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermae). Nudity itself is not a sin otherwise you wouldn't see nude images in the Vatican or in Christian art. The sin emerges when you use the nakedness of the body to humiliate or manipulate another. Sins of lust for example are using sexual attraction (yours or anothers) in a way God did not intend.

Make no mistake though, I am not sanctioning modern folks running around in the buff as something that is OK. I'm just saying I think bikinis are worse because there design is intended to draw attention to certain areas that stimulate sexual arousal. That's what a "strip tease" is for. When decent people go to the beach they just want to enjoy the sun, sand, and ocean. They don't want to see someone making a political statement of power with their body using their sexuality.
[-] The following 1 user Likes divinesilence80's post:
  • jovan66102