Solar Activity is Shockingly Active Despite the 'Solar Minimum'.
This is quite ominous. The sun is in 'solar minimum', yet these prominences have developed quite quickly and are very energetic. That is not a good combination, because rapid development on an otherwise, declining activity sun could spell trouble. They are earth facing, therefore, ant flare activity would be directed right at us and they seem to be in proximity to the edge of a big Coronal Hole as well.

Bears watching. Could another Carrington Event be in the near future? Who knows, but the stage seems set for it just now:

Space Weather News for Sept. 3, 2017

http://spaceweather.com

https://www.facebook.com/spaceweatherdotcom

SUNSPOT GENESIS: Two big sunspot groups are now facing Earth. Behemoth AR2674 has been growing for days, while newcomer AR2673 has suddenly quadrupled in size, with multiple dark cores breaching the surface of the sun in just the past 24 hours. The rapid development of these regions could herald Earth-directed flares in the days ahead. Visit Spaceweather.com for movies of sunspot genesis in action.

[Image: sunspots_anim.gif]
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain
Zedta

How long would it take for a large CME to reach the earth once it was detected?
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
(09-03-2017, 10:08 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote: Zedta

How long would it take for a large CME to reach the earth once it was detected?

If strong enough, like X-level (highest) flares, 8 minutes for an electron/x-ray flare which can be also densely made up of UV photons, for a CME of ionized gas/proton plasma, depending on how energetic, from about 12 hours to a few days. The CMEs generally follow after the flare , being slower due to heavier mass. X-level flares can produce energies in the GeV range (10,000,000,000 watts/ sq meter)...if  I put enough zeros there.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain
Has there ever been a correlation made between major earthquakes and intense sunspot activity?
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
Well. at least one major study says no. From USGS
[/url]

Quote:Scientists assembled historical records of the Sun’s interaction with Earth, looking at sunspots, solar wind, and magnetic storms. They then compared these with historical records of earthquake occurrence. They found no significant pattern between solar activity and more or larger earthquakes. There is no demonstrated way to use space data to predict future earthquakes.
[url=https://www2.usgs.gov/blogs/features/usgs_top_story/does-solar-activity-cause-earthquakes/]
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

There were quite a few big events last week and a CME over the weekend.  Apparently this is typical, even for a solar cycle coming to an end.

Space Weather
(09-10-2017, 08:28 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: Well. at least one major study says no. From USGS
[/url]

Quote:Scientists assembled historical records of the Sun’s interaction with Earth, looking at sunspots, solar wind, and magnetic storms. They then compared these with historical records of earthquake occurrence. They found no significant pattern between solar activity and more or larger earthquakes. There is no demonstrated way to use space data to predict future earthquakes.
[url=https://www2.usgs.gov/blogs/features/usgs_top_story/does-solar-activity-cause-earthquakes/]
Interesting.  I wondered this because of the earthquake lights phenomenon that is reported coincidentally.  Obviously not well understood; but  some sort of significant magnetic field disruption is being created by the seismic event.  The question came up because of the ELP being reported in Mexico After the earthquake, and the active solar activity. It's amazing what we don't know.
Germane to the topic, here is a link to the website, Space Weather. Some fascinating stuff here.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

The potential and impacts of a catastrophic solar event is making the mainstream news.

National Post - Solar Storms