Official CuteOverload Fan Club
A boinging horse-puppy! Wheeeeeeeeee!

Ya know, I never went through "the horse thing" that a lot of little girls go through (though I loved to ride when I had the chance, I was more the bookish, nerdy type rather than the girly-girl type), but I have a sweet girly-girl niece who's got the horse-bug big time! That's an interesting phenomenon, eh? Wonder what it "means," if anything...

Anyway, horses are such BEAUTIFUL animals!
I had the horse bug. Me and my best friend were horse-crazy. We played constantly with those Breyer horses.Among others, I had Swaps and my friend had the "Black Beauty Collection" which consisted of Black Beauty(duh), Duchess (for some reason I was always Duchess), Ginger, and Merrylegs, except in our world, Merrylegs was female. I must have read Black Beauty about 100 times, not to mention the TV show of that name they use to show on Nickelodeon (this was in the early 80's).
Little girls and horses has got to mean something. Just don't know what. My interest in horses waned around the same time my interest in boys emerged.... [Image: hmmm.gif]
Oh, boy, lookie HERE!

The pic is hilariously described thus:
Quote: Ladies and Gentlemen—we can achieve world peace with this image

Let's show this image to all World Leaders (Perhaps carried on a silver tray by UN Ambassadress Angelina Jolie?). Without a doubt, the ooh's and aah's (in their respective native languages) should lead to world peace instantly. The image may also cure cancer if used properly. Please be aware that two Cuteologists lost their lives bringing you this photo, due to head explosion.
-- and right they are! Seriously, one would almost think that no one could pick up a rifle and fire at someone who's just shared that vision of cuteness. Send this pic to the Middle East forthwith!

It's way too much to look at in one glance. You have to sneak up on it, I'm telling you! Look at the kernel of corn in itty-bitty mousie's itty-bitty hands! And look at his little feeties!
VoxClamantis Wrote: Ya know, I never went through "the horse thing" that a lot of little girls go through   

I was never a girly girl myself (I hated dolls) but I was bitten by the horse bug BIG time. 

Quote: Wonder what it "means," if anything...

Psychologists have a field day over this question.[Image: laff.gif]

I think this article makes a lot of sense:

Girls and Horses
 (excerpt)
Quote:  
Because the use of horses has changed, the methods of training them have also changed. Horses are no longer “broken in.” Although the term is still used, the methods are different. In the past, horses that had experienced little or no human contact were saddled and ridden until exhausted from bucking. Once the horse had submitted, it would be trained to perform various tasks such as roping and herding cattle. Because horses were needed for work, no more time than necessary could be spent training them. The relationship between horse and rider used to be similar to that between master and servant. Today, however, training a horse is similar to teaching a child. In many ways, the relationship between horse and rider is similar to the relationship between mother and child, which I believe is the main reason why so many girls are attracted to horses.

Today’s training methods require a great deal of patience, trust and respect. Like a child, if a horse does not trust and respect you, it will not obey you. Horses are very sensitive, and, like children, need to be praised and nurtured, but also need to be disciplined. When a horse becomes frightened or nervous, the trainer must comfort it by remaining calm and unafraid, speaking in a soothing, comforting tone of voice, and gently stroking the horse. This is similar to the way that a mother might comfort a frightened or nervous child. When a well-trained horse becomes scared or confused, it will look to its rider for direction. This is similar to the way that children depend on their mothers for help and support. Like children, horses often throw tantrums when asked to do something that they do not want to do. Horses may refuse to cross water, or load in a trailer the same way that children might refuse to clean their rooms, or throw tantrums when told to go to bed.

Oh no!  You've pinned this thread?  The effeminization of men hath infected the fora!

Oh, well.  :p

I heard about this site from the Colbert Report:

KittenWar.com
CampeadorShin Wrote:Oh no!  You've pinned this thread?  The effeminization of men hath infected the fora!

Ahem! It's not "effeminate" to have eyes and know what's cute. My brother and husband aren't "effeminate" (I'd dare you to call one of them that in person), and they know what's up with cuteness!

Quote:Oh, well.  :p

I heard about this site from the Colbert Report:

KittenWar.com

Now there's a site and a half! Check out the Winningest pics! Good find, Campeador [Image: inlove.gif]

Sophia Wrote:  I think this article makes a lot of sense:

Girls and Horses
 (excerpt)
Quote:  
Because the use of horses has changed, the methods of training them have also changed. Horses are no longer “broken in.” Although the term is still used, the methods are different. In the past, horses that had experienced little or no human contact were saddled and ridden until exhausted from bucking. Once the horse had submitted, it would be trained to perform various tasks such as roping and herding cattle. Because horses were needed for work, no more time than necessary could be spent training them. The relationship between horse and rider used to be similar to that between master and servant. Today, however, training a horse is similar to teaching a child. In many ways, the relationship between horse and rider is similar to the relationship between mother and child, which I believe is the main reason why so many girls are attracted to horses.

Today’s training methods require a great deal of patience, trust and respect. Like a child, if a horse does not trust and respect you, it will not obey you. Horses are very sensitive, and, like children, need to be praised and nurtured, but also need to be disciplined. When a horse becomes frightened or nervous, the trainer must comfort it by remaining calm and unafraid, speaking in a soothing, comforting tone of voice, and gently stroking the horse. This is similar to the way that a mother might comfort a frightened or nervous child. When a well-trained horse becomes scared or confused, it will look to its rider for direction. This is similar to the way that children depend on their mothers for help and support. Like children, horses often throw tantrums when asked to do something that they do not want to do. Horses may refuse to cross water, or load in a trailer the same way that children might refuse to clean their rooms, or throw tantrums when told to go to bed.

Hmmmmmmm... maybe, but it seems that girls who have no actual experience with horses have "the horse bug," which indicates to me that it's something more about the "style" of the animal, or about projected or displaced traits. It'd be interesting to talk to a room full of girls who are into horses like that and have them describe horses. What do they think horses are like? What words do they use in talking about them? What do they think having a horse as a pet would be like? How do horses make them feel? and so on... And then it'd be interesting to compare their answers to answers to the same types of questions about mothers, fathers, men, women, children, etc. and see if there's any apparent overlap. And I wonder if, say, medieval girls had "the horse bug" even if the animals were generally perceived differently then by society at large. (Ha, I wonder if there'd be any way to find out!) 

OK, this is hilarious-creepy-cute (anything with monkeys has the creepy element, IMO).

This commercial involves a REAL monkey and a REAL dog, not some CGI trick (though they obviously slow the film down and speed it up for effect). Ha, speaking of "horse-puppies"! The monkey's name is Whiplash, and he's an internationally famous cowboy monkey (his website):

What was the monkey passing out?
CampeadorShin Wrote:What was the monkey passing out?

Mexican snackage served with sweet monkey luv.