Divine Mercy Devotion
(09-21-2017, 10:41 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: While satan will most assuredly be giving it his best shot on my death bed, and I do worry from time to time, I console myself that after all of those Hail Marys she will most assuredly come to my aid!

Yes, devotions to the rosary and to the sacred heart of Jesus come with assurances from heaven of dying a happy death.
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
Quote:2- That even if I die in a state of grace and overcome the final temptation (or be spared it God willing) that upon dying I will be damned for some reason I know not why, such as insufficient piety, negligence of duties of my state of life, etc...

3- And I guess to a lesser degree that I will make it to purgatory but not escape before the end of the world and having imperfections on my soul when purgatory passes away I will not be able to enter heaven and will be damned.

I am nothing more than an arm-chair theologian, but I would like to assure you that both of these statements are absolutely and completely false!

A soul that dies in the state of grace is destined for Heaven, even if he is not pure enough to enter Heaven right away, so then he goes to Purgatory.  And if he is in Purgatory, don't worry, God will make sure he gets all the necessary purification he needs before time ends.

From the Baltimore Catechism, Lesson 37

Quote:414. Q. What is Purgatory?
A. Purgatory is the state in which those suffer for a time who die guilty of venial sins, or without having satisfied for the punishment due to their sins.
"Punishment,"--that is, temporal punishment, already explained to you. After the general judgment there will be Heaven and Hell, but no Purgatory, for there will be no men living or dying upon the earth in its present condition to go there. All will be dead and judged and sent to their final abodes. Those in Purgatory are the friends of God; and knowing Him as they do now, they would not go into His holy presence with the slightest stain upon their souls; still they are anxious for their Purgatory to be ended that they may be with God. They suffer, we are told, the same pains of sense as the damned; but they suffer willingly, for they know that it is making them more pleasing to God, and that one day it will all be over and He will receive them into Heaven. Their salvation is sure, and that thought makes them happy. If, therefore, you believe any of your friends are in Purgatory, you should help them all you can, and try by your prayers and good works to shorten their time of suffering. They will help you--though they cannot help themselves--by their prayers. And oh, when they are admitted into Heaven, how they will pray for those that have helped them out of Purgatory! If you do this great charity, God will, when you die, put in some good person's heart to pray for you while you suffer in Purgatory. There must be a Purgatory, for one who dies with the slightest stain of sin upon his soul cannot enter Heaven, and yet God would not send him to Hell for so small a sin. But why does God punish those He loves? Why does He not forgive everything? He punishes because He is infinitely just and true. He warned them that if they did certain things they would be punished; and they did them, and God must keep His promise. Moreover He is just, and must give to everyone exactly what he deserves.
Where did you get such ideas as these?
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Justin Alphonsus's post:
  • MaryLover
Do any of you all have any anecdotes from doing the Divine Mercy Devotion that you can confidently attribute a good outcome to a situation towards?

I have been skeptical of the Divine Mercy for reasons stated elsewhere, but I am open and interested to hear what anyone has to say positively.
(09-21-2017, 02:53 AM)SkyRise Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 07:13 PM)MaryLover Wrote: Recently, I was told, that one of key vices I have, is disordered fear. (Particularly, scrupulosity and worldly fear.) In response to that, I have been working on expanding my Divine Mercy devotion. I have reading St. Faustina's Diary, and praying the Litany of Divine Mercy more, as well as the Chaplet.

I was wondering if anyone else on here, has a devotion to the Divine Mercy, and has any comments or advice they could share?

Thank you for your post. I am fond of the devotion b/c, St. Faustina intrigues me for some reason, the DM devotion carries a promise of salvation for those souls who die in the company of one praying the chaplet, and it is so quick and simple to pray. I didn't care for it so much until I read somewhere that it is fitting to contemplate a pain of Christ during each decade, (Right hand nailed / Left hand nailed / Feet nailed / Crown of thorns / Lancing of heart).

I struggle with what I think might be a similar problem, namely I fear (after having read many saints writing on this) 2 things that could easily keep me out of heaven. 
1- The final temptation each person normally undergoes, consisting of a split second, up to a few minutes of mind-blowingly horrific and nearly impossible to overcome temptations against hope, faith, purity, love, and other frailties of man, that frequently result in removing a soul from a state of grace immediately before they die. Our Lord of course gives us grace sufficient to overcome this but still most do not escape this last horrible assault of the devil.
2- That even if I die in a state of grace and overcome the final temptation (or be spared it God willing) that upon dying I will be damned for some reason I know not why, such as insufficient piety, negligence of duties of my state of life, etc...
3- And I guess to a lesser degree that I will make it to purgatory but not escape before the end of the world and having imperfections on my soul when purgatory passes away I will not be able to enter heaven and will be damned.

I wear and am enrolled in the Brown Scapular, I've completed the 5 first Saturdays and 9 first Fridays devotions, I pray the daily 3 Hail Marys devotion, along with the 6 prayers honoring our Lord's passion for 3 years. I also carry a letter by St. Joseph and another by our Lord which are claimed to protect against unprovided for deaths. You might think me a devotion chaser but I assure you I am not. The only reason I do these things is for the salvation promises attached to them.

Have you or any reader ever struggled with these kinds of pains? I would so much like some kind and wise words.

the last two fears are not possible imo... firstly, if we die in a state of grace, we are saved. That's the definition of being saved. You can't be in a state of grace and in a state of mortal sin at the same time. As to the last fear, - even if you're in Purgatory till the end of the world, the souls in that condition don't go to hell after. Their Purgatory probably simply ends and they go to Heaven. That is my understanding anyway. I have never heard that they go to hell in that case. Remember there are Indulgences too, you can die and not go to Purgatory at all. ::)

as to your first fear, I understand it because I've been afraid of this too, and I also have scruples... I think it's just really important to trust God. Receive the Sacraments, pray the Rosary, wear the Brown Scapular, all this would help... learn to turn to prayer during temptations, and then at the moment of death you'll do that too, and pray, and God would help you. Remember that even if the devil attacks you, God wouldn't just let you go - He would be fighting for you too, and one great way to achieve success in this is just to KEEP PRAYING. It's stopping prayer that makes souls fall. Keep saying Mary's name and that would help during temptations. Get a habit of that and then maybe death would be less scary. Trust in God, don't be overly scared because that makes temptations even worse!

God bless you!
totus tuus
[-] The following 1 user Likes little_flower10's post:
  • jovan66102
(09-22-2017, 12:11 PM)BC Wrote: Do any of you all have any anecdotes from doing the Divine Mercy Devotion that you can confidently attribute a good outcome to a situation towards?

I have been skeptical of the Divine Mercy for reasons stated elsewhere, but I am open and interested to hear what anyone has to say positively.

Yes, I do... when I was an anti-Catholic Protestant, a Catholic friend prayed the Divine Mercy chaplet for me every day.  I didn't know this at the time. I began to feel a real lack of peace after Protestant services and later realized  I need to leave there.

I have a devotion to Divine Mercy and praying the Chaplet has helped me. One time I prayed it for my grandmother who was in the hospital halfway around the world (my mom was going there to visit her and on the plane).. the doctor said things are not going well. She was unconscious. After I prayed the Divine Mercy chaplet for her for some time, we found out that suddenly she got better and by the time my mom got there, she was already awake and able to speak. It was a real and sudden change and from what I remember, there was surprise about that because her situation was really dangerous before. My grandma ultimately recovered and lived several more years.

Many times God has also used the Divine Mercy image to grant actual graces in prayer
totus tuus
[-] The following 1 user Likes little_flower10's post:
  • MaryLover
(09-21-2017, 04:46 PM)Jeanannemarie Wrote: SkyRise, your first fear listed is quite alarming.  I am not sure of the theological basis for it, but if anyone with knowledge could comment, please do so.  I am not sure you need have that fear, but I am not qualified to say.  Hopefully we can put that to rest if enough comments can explain the idea fully.

That the devil will tempt us is a foregone conclusion. He tempts us now, and when he knows our death is approaching, certainly his opportunity to win our soul for himself is running short.

So, yes, for a soul in the State of Grace, nearing death, there will be an increase in diabolical temptations, should God allow, but no reputable theologian would ever suggest it is rarely overcome or so terrible that it is near impossible. This precisely undermines God's goodness.

We do know that we cannot merit that final grace (the grace to die in the State of Grace), and it is a free gift of God. Still we can have great confidence that if our life is otherwise lived well and we habitually are in the State of Grace, He will give that final perseverance.

Let us also not forget that the Sacrament of Extreme Unction is precisely meant for this and why it is so important. It removes all venial sin, and can even remove mortal sins (provided there is contrition and they were not intentionally unconfessed). It heals the soul, so it can cause healing in the body. It also (in the traditional rite) contains an exorcism which binds Satan and prevents him from such attacks.

Thus, it is an unfounded fear.
(09-23-2017, 02:33 PM)little_flower10 Wrote:
(09-22-2017, 12:11 PM)BC Wrote: Do any of you all have any anecdotes from doing the Divine Mercy Devotion that you can confidently attribute a good outcome to a situation towards?

Yes, I do... when I was an anti-Catholic Protestant, a Catholic friend prayed the Divine Mercy chaplet for me every day.  I didn't know this at the time. I began to feel a real lack of peace after Protestant services and later realized  I need to leave there.

I have a devotion to Divine Mercy and praying the Chaplet has helped me. One time I prayed it for my grandmother who was in the hospital halfway around the world (my mom was going there to visit her and on the plane).. the doctor said things are not going well. She was unconscious. After I prayed the Divine Mercy chaplet for her for some time, we found out that suddenly she got better and by the time my mom got there, she was already awake and able to speak. It was a real and sudden change and from what I remember, there was surprise about that because her situation was really dangerous before. My grandma ultimately recovered and lived several more years.

Many times God has also used the Divine Mercy image to grant actual graces in prayer

Thanks for that.