Recommended Home Defense Gun
(10-26-2017, 04:02 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(10-26-2017, 02:14 PM)Bonaventur Wrote: Regarding rifles, I like the old-school military.... M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1903(A3)(A4) and the M1917.  However, the one this guy is talking about is my favoritist!!!   Big Grin  

Good weapons all, save the M1 Carbine, only good at close range, becomes inaccurate rather quickly when shooting at anything over 75 yards and looses velocity rapidly too. As for the M-14, that's my favorite semi-auto long rifle too.

My personal favorite long gun is my Springfield Mod. 1903, with ramp sights, the one before the A303 came out. That's my favoritist!!
Yep, I would love to own an M14/M1A.  Truly wonderful rifles. 

As far as favorite rifle, for me that's a toss up between the M1903 and the SMLE Mk III.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil
I've shot them both, and I choose the SMLE Mk III.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(10-27-2017, 11:54 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I've shot them both, and I choose the SMLE Mk III.

Getting harder and harder to find Brit .303 ammo.  

The only "true" M1903 I have is a USMC 1941 sniper (repo) with the 8x Unertl-type scope.  Works good in the CMP Vintage Sniper Rifle Match on the 600-yd line, whereas my 1903A4-gery, with it's 2.5 power scope, does its work on the 300-yd line.  Sticking tongue out at you
(10-27-2017, 01:08 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(10-27-2017, 11:54 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I've shot them both, and I choose the SMLE Mk III.

Getting harder and harder to find Brit .303 ammo.  

The only "true" M1903 I have is a USMC 1941 sniper (repo) with the 8x Unertl-type scope.  Works good in the CMP Vintage Sniper Rifle Match on the 600-yd line, whereas my 1903A4-gery, with it's 2.5 power scope, does its work on the 300-yd line.  Sticking tongue out at you

Well, I truly love my Springfield Mod. 1903, true pre-WWI issue (by Serial numbers), with ramp sites and original--unmodified for sniper use. This and the A303 were the sniper rifle of choice by US forces until sometime into the Viet Nam war. It was impressive when I fired it at the 1000 yard range at NRA Whittington Center near Raton, NM. I used only the ramp sites and some old ball powder Army Issue ammo. The observer, using a range scope and who was with some special shooters with very special custom 1000 yard rifles, said he wouldn't want to be standing at the target while I was shooting. That was just dead reckoning shooting, BTW.

Like this one:

[Image: springfield-m1903_2.jpg]
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain
Wow, you guys are ready for anything.

With so many options though, do you know which one you are grabbing for at a split second notice?
"The missionaries of the 16th century were convinced that the unbaptized person is lost forever. After the Second Vatican Council, this conviction was definitely abandoned. The result was a two-sided, deep crisis. Without this attentiveness to salvation, the Faith loses its foundation." -Benedict XVI, Avvenire interview, March 16th, 2016
(10-28-2017, 12:18 PM)BC Wrote: With so many options though, do you know which one you are grabbing for at a split second notice?

Probably my shoes to get out of there ASAP.  Fact is, in nearly every situation if all you got is a split-second notice, you've already done something wrong, most likely being in the wrong place.

I've taken several required courses to maintain my permit to carry.  While all were good for instructing one when and how  to use lethal force  (which is essentially never in the state I live), the common thread to everything is to try not to ever find yourself in a situation where you would need to defend yourself.  Other than a home break-in (which was the reason the OP began this thread), most situations can be avoided.  

Avoid crowds when at all possible.

Avoid walking down unlit streets.

Avoid areas of town you're not familiar, especially at night.  

Etc.

Regardless, in 99.9% of the cases, grabbing one's shoes and getting out of there ASAP is preferable to sticking around for a fire-fight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bonaventure's post:
  • Zedta
(10-28-2017, 01:33 PM)Bonaventure Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 12:18 PM)BC Wrote: With so many options though, do you know which one you are grabbing for at a split second notice?

Probably my shoes to get out of there ASAP.  Fact is, in nearly every situation if all you got is a split-second notice, you've already done something wrong, most likely being in the wrong place.

I've taken several required courses to maintain my permit to carry.  While all were good for instructing one when and how  to use lethal force  (which is essentially never in the state I live), the common thread to everything is to try not to ever find yourself in a situation where you would need to defend yourself.  Other than a home break-in (which was the reason the OP began this thread), most situations can be avoided.  

Avoid crowds when at all possible.

Avoid walking down unlit streets.

Avoid areas of town you're not familiar, especially at night.  

Etc.

Regardless, in 99.9% of the cases, grabbing one's shoes and getting out of there ASAP is preferable to sticking around for a fire-fight.

HERE! HERE!
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain
(10-28-2017, 12:18 PM)BC Wrote: Wow, you guys are ready for anything.

With so many options though, do you know which one you are grabbing for at a split second notice?

In a life or death situation...

"The true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators, but traditionalists." St Pope Pius X

Byzantine Ruthenian Rite Catholic.

https://www.patreon.com/sobieski
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwsu0o3...9T13v1T0Cg