For my dog's health and well-being
Hi, Fishies!

My dog, Bandit, is 12 years old and very dear to my family. He's had some chronic issues with his glands for a while now. They've been cauterized at least twice, but the (benign) cysts that have been forming inevitably reappear. They're pretty large at this point, but they don't completely interfere with any biological processes or endanger his health at this time. The only sign he shows of discomfort is occasional licking at the area (which we try to discourage) and very rare scooting.

His veterinarian has suggested a surgery to completely remove his glands, which is not my mom's first choice, and it's not my first choice, either. For one thing, we're concerned about him going under anesthetic at his age (plus he has a heart murmur, which she's been told may 'speed up'), and for another, it's a $1200 surgery.

We're going to try some organic alternatives before opting for the surgery. We both love him very much and would greatly appreciate any prayers you feel inspired to say for his health and well-being.

Thank you.
sure, ill pray for it.
bibleandprayers.com - Prayer Videos, bible Verses, Community Prayers and more.
Thank you! :)

My dog is having surgery on Halloween to have a couple of his glands removed. Please pray that his surgery goes smoothly. Thank you again!
My childhood dog had a similar problem.

My family loved him so much. I'll pray for the best and you all handle it the best you can. Dogs give us a good opportunity to grow in compassion and self giving.
(10-25-2017, 09:02 PM)BC Wrote: My childhood dog had a similar problem.

My family loved him so much. I'll pray for the best and you all handle it the best you can. Dogs give us a good opportunity to grow in compassion and self giving.

Thank you, BC.

Do you think we should follow through with the surgery or just do the best we can to alleviate any discomfort he has from these glands? I just found this:

" We were not informed that this procedure was going to be performed. We authorized a biopsy of a small anal nodule and removal of the nodule during a pre-operative phone call (just to get the nodule out and to have clear margins of excision to prevent further surgery. We found out after he came home and uncontrolled pain set in. We didn't have diapers on hand nor any of the things needed for post operative care of a single anal gland. The pain our dog had was horrible with him crying and trying to wipe his butt on the floor constantly. He pulled one suture, causing bleeding, leading to an ER visit who increased his pain medications and examined his incision. Diapers were a problem -- getting them to stay on. Even with suspenders, he still walked out of them. Our dog is 10 and old for a basset Hound. At his age, I would not have approved the surgery and didn't. It was very hard on our dog and our family. Continuous hot and cold compresses and trying to keep him comfortable and keep the diapers on. He just cried and kept trying to scoot across the floor.

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/treatment/anal-sacculectomy"

That sounds like a far worse situation than our dog is currently in. He shows discomfort on occasion, but even when the glands cause issues and he bleeds, he doesn't display any signs of outright pain. He doesn't cry or anything. Should we continue to try other methods first?
(10-25-2017, 09:15 PM)In His Love Wrote:
(10-25-2017, 09:02 PM)BC Wrote: My childhood dog had a similar problem.

Thank you, BC.

Do you think we should follow through with the surgery or just do the best we can to alleviate any discomfort he has from these glands? I just found this:

" We were not informed that this procedure was going to be performed. We authorized a biopsy of a small anal nodule and removal of the nodule during a pre-operative phone call (just to get the nodule out and to have clear margins of excision to prevent further surgery. We found out after he came home and uncontrolled pain set in. We didn't have diapers on hand nor any of the things needed for post operative care of a single anal gland. The pain our dog had was horrible with him crying and trying to wipe his butt on the floor constantly. He pulled one suture, causing bleeding, leading to an ER visit who increased his pain medications and examined his incision. Diapers were a problem -- getting them to stay on. Even with suspenders, he still walked out of them. Our dog is 10 and old for a basset Hound. At his age, I would not have approved the surgery and didn't. It was very hard on our dog and our family. Continuous hot and cold compresses and trying to keep him comfortable and keep the diapers on. He just cried and kept trying to scoot across the floor.

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/treatment/anal-sacculectomy"

That sounds like a far worse situation than our dog is currently in. He shows discomfort on occasion, but even when the glands cause issues and he bleeds, he doesn't display any signs of outright pain. He doesn't cry or anything. Should we continue to try other methods first?

That's a tough one so I hesitate to say. We never really got ours checked out, he just gradually faded away at an old age. He never really showed a lot of pain like that though.

It probably comes down to money and if you think it's worth it.

A dog is not a human but sometimes it feels like it.
I think we're going to hold off, at least for now. He doesn't show pain so much as the occasional annoyance, and I also located some natural remedies that may help.

I appreciate your prayers nonetheless. Thank you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes In His Love's post:
  • BC
Wow, sorry to hear that.  Pets definitely feel like part of the family, even though they're not human.

I'll keep y'all in my Rosary intentions today.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • In His Love
Thank you all for your prayers. If you wouldn't mind sparing some more, I would really appreciate it. The surgery has been rescheduled; my mom's been told that it should make things easier for him.
Certainly! <3
I am in the process of discerning my vocation with the help of my priest. If you would like to read my thoughts as I progress through this process of discernment feel free to visit my blog: https://walkingthelittleway.com