Ghost stories from a Catholic perspective
What better way to curl up in a warm bed or armchair with a cup of hot chocolate and a book of ghost stories.

I will mention two compilations:
Shane Leslie’s Ghost Book available on Kindle for $4.95

Lord Halifax’s Ghost Book available free from this website (it is in the public domain in Canada)
http://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20121241

Lord Halifax is a prominent Anglo-Catholic and cousin of Churchill.

By the way I think the ghost stories of M.R. James are the best in the world. Although he was not Catholic, many of his stories are set in old abbeys and churches.
[-] The following 2 users Like Julia Augusta's post:
  • Jacafamala, maldon
I think we need to keep balanced.

Philippians 4:8 For the rest, brethren, whatsoever things are truewhatsoever modest, whatsoever just, whatsoever holywhatsoever lovely, whatsoever of good fame, if there be any virtue, if any praise of discipline, think on these things

That said, sometimes it's good for us and even fun to be a little scared. It ties into how we cope with stressful things. Gets those survival/stress (norepinephrine and cortisol) hormones a little workout. Gets the blood pumping and a little chill down your spine.
What Jacafamala said^. 

To be honest, I know he wasn't Catholic (I think agnostic actually), but I've always been a fan of H.P. Lovecraft.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil
(10-06-2017, 09:56 AM)Julia Augusta Wrote: What better way to curl up in a warm bed or armchair with a cup of hot chocolate and a book of ghost stories.

I will mention two compilations:
Shane Leslie’s Ghost Book available on Kindle for $4.95

Lord Halifax’s Ghost Book available free from this website (it is in the public domain in Canada)
http://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20121241

Lord Halifax is a prominent Anglo-Catholic and cousin of Churchill.

By the way I think the ghost stories of M.R. James are the best in the world. Although he was not Catholic, many of his stories are set in old abbeys and churches.

I am also fond of ghost stories. My favorites are by Mons. Robert Hughes Benson. He is more famous of course for his Lord of the World novel, but he has many short stories and other novels, and is very Catholic about it. One I find really interesting, though not a typical ghost story, is his novel, The Necromancers. As I was reading it I sometimes felt I didn't know where this could be going, and even wondered if he had written it before becoming a Catholic, but by the end it is so clear that he knew what he was doing the whole time, and it is a wonderful Catholic literary account of what really happens in the business of spiritualism.

He has another series of short stories, but I forget the title. If you are interested I will find the title, just let me know. A bunch of Catholic priests get together once a month to tell their most mysterious experiences. Really good. I will check out Lord Halifax. Have never read his works.
"The days have gone down in the West, behind the hills, into shadow." - Theoden, King.
(10-07-2017, 11:12 PM)maldon Wrote: I am also fond of ghost stories. My favorites are by Mons. Robert Hughes Benson. He is more famous of course for his Lord of the World novel, but he has many short stories and other novels, and is very Catholic about it. One I find really interesting, though not a typical ghost story, is his novel, The Necromancers. As I was reading it I sometimes felt I didn't know where this could be going, and even wondered if he had written it before becoming a Catholic, but by the end it is so clear that he knew what he was doing the whole time, and it is a wonderful Catholic literary account of what really happens in the business of spiritualism.

He has another series of short stories, but I forget the title. If you are interested I will find the title, just let me know. A bunch of Catholic priests get together once a month to tell their most mysterious experiences. Really good. I will check out Lord Halifax. Have never read his works.

Thanks for telling me about Benson. I downloaded a couple of his books including Necromancers, from the Project Gutenberg website.
Oooo, I thank you too, maldon. Mons. Robert Hughes Benson sounds like good stuff. It's purely fictional?
Not a ghost story, but if you read nothing else by Msgr Benson, read 'Lord of the World'!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

Lord of the World by Msgr Benson.

I looked it up and found the book, but I also found BC's Avatar!

[Image: 71kO-KAyMtL._AC_UL115_.jpg]
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain