Parent Fail. Big Time.
Oh boy. From the Globe and Mail:

Postcolonial parenting
We thought we were raising an enlightened child, Tama Ward writes, but have we robbed our daughter of her cultural roots?
Tama Ward

Contributed to The Globe and Mail
October 4, 2017 October 4, 2017

At breakfast, in the glass-towered city of Vancouver, five-year-old Abigail looks glumly at her half-eaten bowl of cereal.

"What is it, honey?" I brush the bangs back from her face.

She lets out a big sigh. "I wish I wasn't white."

I start. Nothing in the parenting manuals has prepared me for that.

"All we've ever done is hurt people," she continues. "I wish my skin was dark and that I had a culture."

Quote:Here you go, you poor deluded child:  http://www.fisheaters.com/beingcatholic.html  Don't miss the seasonal customs pages.

Sigh.

We live in a part of the city where immigrant families abound. Our neighbours are homesick, first-generation Mexicans, which means that salsas and pinatas and Aztec legends feature prominently at shared social gatherings. Our family regularly eats in Little India where we gush over the flavours of curry and dhal, and every February, we attend the Chinese New Year parade in the slanting rain. Plus, my husband and I are children of missionaries and harbour an acute guilt for the cultural imperialism of our forebears. To compensate, we've raised our children with a deep appreciation of non-Western cultures.

Quote:I am so pissed. First, dump the guilt, idiot parent. Second, enjoy other cultures, but, by Hell, know, defend, and hand down your OWN.

What this woman is doing and failing to do with her child is child abuse. Literally. She has a FIVE-YEAR OLD, moping, depressed, at breakfast because she's been taught to hate herself and her own people, and hasn't been taught her own History and culture. I am thoroughly disgusted.

So when Abigail laments the colour of her white skin, part of me is programmed to protest.

Quote:Only "part" of you? If my kid hated her own flesh because it's white, all of me would be screaming to set her straight.

Is it not my moral obligation to tell her that her feelings of poor self-worth are nothing compared with the psychological ruin of real racism? Girl, everything about Canadian culture weighs in your advantage and you have no right to snivel!

Quote:"Real racism"? WTF, lady? What you are doing to your OWN child is REAL racism! What's also REAL racism is what's being done to European and European-derived people by the Frankfurt Schooled fools who own the media and run our universities (and who've apparently been very successful with you). You want to see more REAL racism, look at South Africa.

Instead, I feel a sadness settle over me. We thought we were raising the enlightened child of the 21st century. We thought we were doing our part in setting the history record straight. Yet, in doing so, it seems we have robbed our oldest child of something primal to psychological health, something elemental to her well-being as a human being: cultural roots.

I don't know what to say.

Quote:"DOH!" comes to mind. Followed by "mea culpa." Fool.

I consider the you-are-Canadian spiel: "part of a new society made up of the vibrancy of many cultures, etc." Yet, "Canadian" is precisely the problem. What is Canadian? Her best friend is Canadian and Mexican. Her cousin, Canadian and Bengali. Even our Indigenous neighbours have a First Nation before they have Canada. To play the Canadian card will further neuter her culturally when what she's looking for are deep roots that ground her to a people and place.

Seized by maternal panic I go in search of our oversized National Geographic Atlas and hoist it up onto the breakfast table. Abigail sits up and she leans in. "It was almost 200 years ago that your people came to Canada from this island."
Abigail's face brightens at that word: island. I know what she's thinking. Islands are places of primal innocence and cultural distinctiveness, such as Haida Gwaii or Never Never Land.

Quote:Golly, where would she get this silly Rousseauian idea that islands are places of "primal innocence" and "cultural distinctiveness," Mom? You never taught her about original sin, did you? Never taught her about the headhunters of Borneo, eh? Ever tell the kid how thousands and thousands were sacrificed on the Hawaiian islands? Those first generation Mexican Canadians who gather together and share "salsas and pinatas and Aztec legends ":  does that Aztec stuff include stories about their sacrificing humans by ripping out their still-beating hearts?

But then when I speak the name of her island, Abigail's full-body slump returns.

"Great Britain?!" she pouts accusingly. "Aren't they the bad ones?"

Quote:
Call me Wayne...

Abigail's life to date has been spent absorbing the endless lament of her adults over the injustices of European colonialism. Earlier that summer on a cross-Canada road trip, at what seemed like every historical site, I made a point of highlighting how the colonizing British had brought Indigenous culture to the edge of extinction with their foreign diseases, their land-grabbing policies and their culture-negating residential schools.

Quote:Other people than Europeans ones colonized; they just did it on a smaller scale than, say, the English did, because of inferior technology (you think Ethiopians wouldn't have used tanks and jet fighters if they'd had them when invading Somalia? It isn't Europeans' fault that sub-Saharan Africans hadn't even invented the wheel by the 19th century). Japan had an empire. The Ottomans had one. Islam spread by the sword from Mecca all the way up to Tours, France -- taking white Christians as slaves all the while (which they did as well with the black peoples of Africa) --  until they were defeated by Crusaders who defended their lands.

And in addition to colonialism per se is out-and-out invasion and taking over entire countries. Israel invaded Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, Jordan and Gaza; Ethiopia invaded Somalia; the Congo was invaded by Uganda; Tanzania invaded Uganda; Vietnam invaded Cambodia; North Vietnam invaded South Vietnam; India invaded East Pakistan; Nigeria invaded Biafra; China and North Korea invaded South Korea; Japan invaded Thailand -- the list of this sort of thing goes on and on and ON.

The moment Abigail leaves the house for full-day kindergarten, I dig out a box of wedding china. I know this is a stretch. After all, it's been six generations since my ancestors emigrated from somewhere in the Yorkshire region of England to Peterborough County in Southern Ontario. The only thing we know about them with any certainty is that they were poor to the bone and almost certainly didn't drink tea from porcelain cups and saucers.

When the school day ends, everything down to the white-linen tablecloth is set up in the front room. Abigail enters, stares, then slowly lets her Dora backpack slide to the floor. I explain that this is high tea, "one of the grand traditions of your people." She stands in stunned silence.

The plan is working.

I explain that high tea must be served right at 4 o'clock, not a minute sooner, and that sandwiches are to be cut twice on the diagonal with crusts removed in their entirety.

"Why?" she asks to all of the above.

"It's just our culture."

This answer pleases her.

At 4 p.m. sharp, I pour the tea and watch my white-skinned girl sip and nibble as I have instructed.

My husband walks by and rolls his eyes. He is half Ukrainian and half God-knows-what.

Later in the week, Abigail replicates the high-tea ritual for her teddies and dolls, and then in a crowning act of glory for her Mexican playmate next door. "It's from my culture," I overhear her explaining to Sofia. Sofia seems enchanted.

Ten years have passed since I introduced Abigail to high tea and all my fears have been put to rest. Now a teenage tour de force, she has not over-identified with British culture. She has become neither snobbish, nor repressive. She has her eye on a boy from Peru with brown skin. Knowing her tribe has given her traction to move into the fusion of Vancouver high-school life with a sense of being one among equals, someone who has something unique to contribute to the whole.

Quote:"Now a teenage tour de force, she has not over-identified with British culture. She has become neither snobbish, nor repressive." Nice. Real nice, Ms Snarkypants. Now your daughter can hate herself while eating crustless cucumber sandwiches and drinking tea. Ya done great. Idiot.

What Mommie Dearests could've done is raise the kid Catholic, trad-style; teach the kid real History; mention oh, I dunno, maybe anyone from Boudica to Shakespeare to Roger Bacon to William of Ockham to St. Thomas More to St. Thomas a Becket to Newton to Catherine of Aragon to Jimmy Page to a thousand others; show her English cathedrals and castles and --- really, this is just too easy. Hell, one episode of Fawlty Towers beats pretty much anything native to sub-Saharan Africa.

This madness has to end.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s

There are tons more of these.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
America like most protestant countries has a fairly bland culture. Usually first and maybe second generation families retain the culture of their ancestors, but eventually that also gets wiped out and their kids eventually buy into American culture completely. Which, beyond the South, there really isn't much to it. So when people associate this with "white" culture, they do have a point. Growing up as a 1st generation Italian-American, I was always steeped in Italian culture. There would have never been a time in my life where I would have said, man I hate my culture! Protestants are just boring. When I look at Northern Europe compared to Southern Europe it's such a big difference in culture.

Blacks were the only ones who really had an interesting aspect to their culture in this country and that's more or less been destroyed with the gangster mindset that's taken over since the late 80s/early 90s (although one can still see how blacks tend to be much more outgoing, love to dance, have a natural rhythm, and such compared to whites). Then you take Latinos who have a historically Spanish/Catholic culture. Asian culture is so exotic to westerners. Indians, middle eastern, go down the line and American culture looks boring. When you look at white cultures, you need to look at Italian, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Bavarian/South German, Polish if you want interesting cultures, but we only get small snippets of those things in the US.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
GangGreen is right, the term "white" comes from us Americans. I'm like 35% German, 25% Polish, and 20% Irish, and the rest is a big soup of European ethnicity! This is what happens when your family is around since, say, 1650, in the North Eastern United States.

Either way - WHITE GUILT is real and pushed 24/7/365 by the media and schooling. We're supposed to be sorry for the Spanish swooping in and stopping the Aztecs from ripping their people's hearts out daily!

On top of it, with slavery, how many European Americans died fighting over that? Now they have the nerve to try and get rid of its monuments? Geez.
"The true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators, but traditionalists." St Pope Pius X

Byzantine Ruthenian Rite Catholic.

https://www.patreon.com/sobieski
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwsu0o3...9T13v1T0Cg
Just curious, but how would the mom in the OP feel if she adopted a Boer child? Should he hate his whiteness, or embrace his Africanness? Big Grin

(10-12-2017, 08:15 AM)GangGreen Wrote: America like most protestant countries has a fairly bland culture. Usually first and maybe second generation families retain the culture of their ancestors, but eventually that also gets wiped out and their kids eventually buy into American culture completely. Which, beyond the South, there really isn't much to it. So when people associate this with "white" culture, they do have a point. Growing up as a 1st generation Italian-American, I was always steeped in Italian culture. There would have never been a time in my life where I would have said, man I hate my culture! Protestants are just boring. When I look at Northern Europe compared to Southern Europe it's such a big difference in culture.

Quote: When you look at white cultures, you need to look at Italian, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Bavarian/South German, Polish if you want interesting cultures, but we only get small snippets of those things in the US.

Yep. My mom's side of the family is Slovene, so she had the benefit of growing up in an ethnic Slovene neighborhood in Cleveland, surrounded by Polish, Slovak, etc neighborhoods. All that's gone away with globalization, etc.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • jtech7
BTW, speaking of Aztecs and how whites treated the natives in the Americas. Here's a fun video:

Of course your average American would never want to hear that the Catholics who came here treated the natives pretty well, while the Protestant British did the exact opposite.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
Anyone else want to point out that the only quality she found worthy of mentioning in this boy her daughter is interested in is that his skin is brown?  

Oh he works very hard, is very respectful, is very involved in the community, spends every weekend at the soup kitchen and saved a little of kittens from a house fire last week.  Oh, but he is WHITE! Darn, I really thought she was going to find a good boy this time! 

Seriously, everything with these racist loons is about skin colour, I am just sick of it.
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Justin Alphonsus's post:
  • In His Love
Oh wow, I just noticed that! She's excited for her bloodline to basically be mixed into obscurity. Sad.
"The true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators, but traditionalists." St Pope Pius X

Byzantine Ruthenian Rite Catholic.

https://www.patreon.com/sobieski
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwsu0o3...9T13v1T0Cg
"We must realize that our party's most powerful weapon is racial tensions. By propounding into the consciousness of the dark races that for centuries they have been oppressed by whites, we can mold them to the program of the Communist Party. In America we will aim for subtle victory. While inflaming the Negro minority against the whites, we will endeavor to instill in the whites a guilt complex for their exploitation of the Negros. We will aid the Negroes to rise in prominence in every walk of life, in the professions and in the world of sports and entertainment. With this prestige, the Negro will be able to intermarry with the whites and begin a process which will deliver America to our cause."

- Israel Cohen, A Racial Program for the Twentieth Century, 1912. Also in the Congressional Record, Vol. 103, p. 8559, June 7, 1957

Working pretty well.  Very well. 

(*Some people, who don't want that quote out there, try to dismiss this as a hoax, but here is a good explanation why it is not https://www.henrymakow.com/the_book_the_..._disa.html )
"The missionaries of the 16th century were convinced that the unbaptized person is lost forever. After the Second Vatican Council, this conviction was definitely abandoned. The result was a two-sided, deep crisis. Without this attentiveness to salvation, the Faith loses its foundation." -Benedict XVI, Avvenire interview, March 16th, 2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes BC's post:
  • jtech7