How do you guys celebrate Halloween/All Saints Day All Souls
Is there anything which you guys would do specifically?  Fun custom, spooky ghost stories, scary movies?
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Justin Alphonsus's post:
  • DorothyFields
For Hallowe'en, I'm a BIG believer in handing candy out to trick-or-treaters. It was soooo much fun when I was little, I think we big people need to pay it forward and keep it going.  Sometimes I dress up to answer the door, sometimes I don't (one coup I had was when I dressed up as a witch, opened the door to trick-or-treaters, and greeted them with "Ahhhhh, chilllllldren! Tasty chillldren!" and they all took a big step back at the same time hahaha). But no matter what,  I always try to give out the good stuff -- no candy corn or lollies, but gooey chocolate stuff (no coconut. Kids don't like it).

One must is the reading of James Whitcomb Riley's "Little Orphant Annie." It's a tradition that goes back to my Grandma and her brother, who had it memorized. You have to tell it right, though (see https://www.fisheaters.com/littleorphantannie.html ).

My Grandma used to make gingerbread ghost cookies, too -- really BIG ones, like 7 or 8 inches tall. But each person got one each. They were iced white and had chocolate chips for eyes.

For a gathering of adults/teenagers/older pre-teens, I recommend this game called Werewolves of Millers Hollow (need at least 8 to play).

For kids, I think going old-school is cool if they're not too spoiled by modern stuff. Bobbing for apples, the Boris Karloff Frankenstein, a flashlight-lit game of Hide and Go Seek in a big, dark yard if you have one -- ya know? You could make up a treasure hunt by blowing up small orange balloons, putting paper leaves on them to make them into pumpkins, and hiding them around the house and yard. They'd have clues inside, and the balloons would have to be popped to get the clues so as to know where to go next. Or you could put a clue inside just one -- a clue leading to a prize -- and putting them on the ground to make a pumpkin patch. Kids have to pop all the balloons 'til they find the right one.

A magic show could be cool for kids, and stunts like getting a small, decorative box, drilling a hole through the bottom, stuffing "bloody" bandages inside, sticking a finger through the bottom, telling the kids it's a severed finger -- and then moving it and freaking them out, ha.

You could play Pin the Spider on the Web (instead of Pin the Tail on the donkey).

Staging something scary can be fun. Once I had a guy cover himself in tin foil and run near the house with a flashlight, so he could be seen from the big picture window -- after TOTALLY, much earlier and "in passing," setting everyone up with a confederate, talking about the weird lights we'd seen in the sky earlier. I had an ADULT woman (and a bunch of kids) freaking OUT hahaha

Scary stories for sure (I have some on this page: https://www.fisheaters.com/customstimeaf...t12aa.html )
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
(10-21-2017, 03:38 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: For Hallowe'en, I'm a BIG believer in handing candy out to trick-or-treaters. It was soooo much fun when I was little, I think we big people need to pay it forward and keep it going.  Sometimes I dress up to answer the door, sometimes I don't (one coup I had was when I dressed up as a witch, opened the door to trick-or-treaters, and greeted them with "Ahhhhh, chilllllldren! Tasty chillldren!" and they all took a big step back at the same time hahaha). But no matter pwhat,  I always try to give out the good stuff -- no candy corn or lollies, but gooey chocolate stuff (no coconut. Kids don't like it).

One must is the reading of James Whitcomb Riley's "Little Orphant Annie." It's a tradition that goes back to my Grandma and her brother, who had it memorized. You have to tell it right, though (see https://www.fisheaters.com/littleorphantannie.html ).

My Grandma used to make gingerbread ghost cookies, too -- really BIG ones, like 7 or 8 inches tall. But each person got one each. They were iced white and had chocolate chips for eyes.

For a gathering of adults/teenagers/older pre-teens, I recommend this game called Werewolves of Millers Hollow (need at least 8 to play).

For kids, I think going old-school is cool if they're not too spoiled by modern stuff. Bobbing for apples, the Boris Karloff Frankenstein, a flashlight-lit game of Hide and Go Seek in a big, dark yard if you have one -- ya know? You could make up a treasure hunt by blowing up small orange balloons, putting paper leaves on them to make them into pumpkins, and hiding them around the house and yard. They'd have clues inside, and the balloons would have to be popped to get the clues so as to know where to go next. Or you could put a clue inside just one -- a clue leading to a prize -- and putting them on the ground to make a pumpkin patch. Kids have to pop all the balloons 'til they find the right one.

A magic show could be cool for kids, and stunts like getting a small, decorative box, drilling a hole through the bottom, stuffing "bloody" bandages inside, sticking a finger through the bottom, telling the kids it's a severed finger -- and then moving it and freaking them out, ha.

You could play Pin the Spider on the Web (instead of Pin the Tail on the donkey).

Staging something scary can be fun. Once I had a guy cover himself in tin foil and run near the house with a flashlight, so he could be seen from the big picture window -- after TOTALLY, much earlier and "in passing," setting everyone up with a confederate, talking about the weird lights we'd seen in the sky earlier. I had an ADULT woman (and a bunch of kids) freaking OUT hahaha

Scary stories for sure (I have some on this page: https://www.fisheaters.com/customstimeaf...t12aa.html )

Love all of these ideas/suggestions, Vox!
 Some of them we already do -like soul cakes ( chocolate donuts for souls in mortal sin; cinnamon, for souls with venial sins, and powdered sugar, for souls in the state of sanctifying grace ). We also do Jack o' lanterns though lately more of us have been doing saint o' lanterns, where you carve an image or the symbols of your favorite saint ( or our Lord or our Lady) into the pumpkin. -A few years back, I did one of our Lady of Guadalupe that was just beautiful!
Another thing that we do as a little family tradition is prepare a big bowl of "soul candy." Let me explain. Leading up to Halloween, we gather all the candy we have bought to celebrate that day and All Saints and All Souls day. Then we write down the names of all the departed family, friends, acquaintances, even people from history that we have studied about (we've had kids put in Robin Hood, Shakespeare, Louis Armstrong..... It gets my husband rolling his eyes if he gets one!) on little round and rectangular garage sale labels. We stick these on every single piece of candy. Then, when someone gets a piece of candy they have to say a little prayer for the person named on it before they eat it! It makes us slow down and eat out candy in a much more mindful manner!
We also like to have fresh hot cider, that we get from my parent's small orchard, and homemade caramel apples. Yummy!
"..the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world" -William Ross Wallace
My boyfriend and I enjoy playing a video game called Ragnarok Online. For Halloween this year, we're going to a place in the game called Niflheim.

[Image: latest?cb=20130503055057]
[-] The following 1 user Likes In His Love's post:
  • DorothyFields
The kids help me carve a Jack-o-lantern, which is usually pretty ghastly; pumpkin innards and food die make great brains/guts! 

We typically say a Rosary or Chaplet before the kids go trick or treating, with a reminder of why we pray and who we pray for (grandpa, “step-grandpa”, great grandpa, great-great-grandpa, and some of daddy’s friends all passed in November). After trick or treating is roasted pumpkin seeds (regular, Old Bay, and cajun), and bourbon pumpkin pie, a family specialty. For stories, it’s “The great pumpkin Charlie Brown “ and whatever comes to my twisted mind, as there’s an old cemetery up the street.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
I'll be sitting on my porch handing out (as Vox says), "the good stuff", and watching my favorite low budget zombie movie, "Night of the living Dead" on youtube. 

"They're coming to get you Barbara!"  helpsmiley helpsmiley helpsmiley

Lock and load in case of spiritual warfare!

I don't really do anything for Halloween anymore, other then hope someone makes pumpkin pie.
"The true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators, but traditionalists." St Pope Pius X

Byzantine Ruthenian Rite Catholic.

https://www.patreon.com/sobieski
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwsu0o3...9T13v1T0Cg
I went to Matthew 27:52-53 52 "and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53They came out of the tombs after Jesus' resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people." As my old missal had a reference to that in relation to All Souls and All Saints day, I dressed up a couple of pillows in black cloth as a nun with the face of a skull on one side and the face of a sweet nun on the other. On Halloween I had the skull side showing, with pumpkin lights and ghost. I made a rosary for her out of skull and bones candies from the Dollar Store! The children who were "treated" received peanut butter filled candies in an attempt to no over sugar them. On All Saints Day I changed the skull face nun with the nun faith, in a kind of "resurrection" message statement. Of course we prayed in graveyards for the dead as well. Sometimes priests will have graveside prayers and processions, too.
Make a jack-o-lantern as my sole decoration outside, make festive foods, hand out treats to neighborhood kids at my parents house if they aren't able to, and then proceed to a Halloween party once curfew sets in and the last of the kids get their bags filled. A week leading up to Halloween I try to watch my favorite thrillers/horror movies to get in the mood before I go to sleep (not really a good idea since I'm easily scared).
Unfortunately I don't have any "fun facts" about me unless being a practicing Catholic counts.

Trying to get better every day week.
the picture familar to me I might relate it to some game,but I know it is different, well, I like the adventure story to have with its moral.