Prominent Southern Baptist "Pastor" says Satan Created Catholicism
(10-22-2017, 05:34 PM)Dave01 Wrote: I actually like this attitude (relatively speaking); at least this approach is logically consistent. 

If Protestantism is true, then Catholocism IS from the devil. We worship bread as God, we believe that mere men can do what only God can do (forgive sins), and we have placed our faith in an institution of men, not of God - of course, if the opposite is true, then it is Protestantism which is of the Devil. 

If more people (including Catholics) would appreciate that Catholocism and Protestantism are completely incompatible, and therefore that one much choose one and reject the other, we would probably have a better starting point for conversions.

Very teeny-weeny minor point: Catholicism is written with two letter "I"s, not one. Thanks for your attention. :)
"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." - G. K. Chesterton
I was at Georgia State University in the early '80s. We were studying Dante. One of the students raised his hand and asked if Dante was a Christian. He asked that because he noticed that Dante quoted heavily from the Bible and according to him the Bible was not written until King James had it written.
Couldn't resist

[Image: addtext_com_MDI0_Nj_I3_Nj_Ew_OA.jpg]
"Good above all good, and Beautiful above all beautiful; peaceful repose, Peace, Concord and Union of all souls; compose the dissensions which divide us from one another, and lead them back to an union with charity, which has a kind of similitude to Thy sublime essence: and as Thou art One above all, and we, one, through the unanimity of a good mind; that we may be found before Thee simplex and not divided, whilst celebrating this mystery; and that through the embraces of Charity and bonds of Love, we may be spiritually one, both with ourselves and with one another, through that Thy Peace pacifying all; through the Grace and Compassion and Love towards man of Thine Only-begotten Son; through Whom, and with Whom is due to Thee, Glory, honour and dominion, with Thy Most Holy Spirit." - Liturgy of Dionysus
[-] The following 5 users Like MysteriumRegis's post:
  • BC, BluegrassMTBer, CaptCrunch73, In His Love, Justin Alphonsus
Having read the article, I can't help but find it interesting how this knucklehead's been speaking ill of Catholics for years, but the press only feels it was an "issue" because he's a Trump supporter.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • Justin Alphonsus
(10-23-2017, 07:02 AM)Jeeter Wrote: Having read the article, I can't help but find it interesting how this knucklehead's been speaking ill of Catholics for years, but the press only feels it was an "issue" because he's a Trump supporter.

Well their queen, Hillary, talked crap about Catholics and it surely hurt her. So now they're trying to do the same thing with Trump I'd assume.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(10-22-2017, 05:34 PM)Dave01 Wrote: I actually like this attitude (relatively speaking); at least this approach is logically consistent. 

If Protestantism is true, then Catholocism IS from the devil. We worship bread as God, we believe that mere men can do what only God can do (forgive sins), and we have placed our faith in an institution of men, not of God - of course, if the opposite is true, then it is Protestantism which is of the Devil. 

If more people (including Catholics) would appreciate that Catholocism and Protestantism are completely incompatible, and therefore that one much choose one and reject the other, we would probably have a better starting point for conversions.

I agree in a sense.

Starkly laying out what is on the line gets people thinking about what they believe and why they believe it.  

Everyone needs to know that the Catholic Church teaches Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus and the Baptists teach more or less that if you are not a Baptist , "born again"( meaning not sacramentally baptized ironically considering their name) then you will not be saved.

It is pointless for people to just coast along in the religion they were brought up in.  Let's lay it out there.  It would be shocking for people but I think everyone could get over the emotional aspect and really reflect on the Catholic Church and see if their Anabaptism narrative holds up to scrutiny.
(10-22-2017, 06:47 PM)Zedta Wrote: The origin of the General Baptists is connected with the name of John Smyth (d. 1612), pastor (a disgruntled Anglican minister) of a church at Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, which had separated from the Church of England. His first act, in formation of this Church, was to perform an act of Blasphemy before 18 of his followers, by baptizing himself.

Yup, good start to a chrystian church indeed!

Actually I believe that incident properly belongs to Roger Williams, the founder of the Baptist "Church" in America.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/are-there-su...century-ad

Incidentally, and to elaborate on what I posted earlier about how Baptists desperately assert that their "true Christianity" was preserved by various groups after 313, I'll post this:

First, the Catholic Church could admit the existence of other groups of Christians which had survived from the first century if any still existed, but none do. All of the heretical groups that split off in the first century died out. Anyone who claims that there was a line of doctrinally Protestant people going back through history to Jesus doesn't know Church history. 

Second, while some groups, such as the Baptists, sometimes make this claim, they claim descent from heretical groups such as the Montanists (a false-prophecy movement that said the New Jerusalem would descend in Phrygia, on Montanus's home town), the Donatists (who said sacraments are efficacious only if they are administered by someone in a state of grace), and the Albigensians (who said there are two gods, a good god who loves us and an evil god who made the world). There is simply no way that these groups were Baptists under a different name....

The Baptists are a late offshoot of the English Reformation. Their denomination was started in 1609 by a British man named John Smyth, who was living in Holland at the time. He and his congregation of expatriate Englishmen began the first Baptist church, which later relocated to England, which is why all the early Baptist confessions were drawn up in that country. 

Incidentally, the original Baptists practiced baptism by pouring (affusion) instead of dunking (immersion), although most of them today vigorously deny the validity of baptism by pouring. The founder of the Baptist Church in America, Roger Williams, finding no one qualified to baptize him, decided to baptize himself in 1639.
(10-23-2017, 01:27 PM)BC Wrote: "We just go by the Bible.  We just do what Bible says"

Mmhuh.

While not following the the "eat my flesh and drink my blood" part and all the references to Confession throughout the gospels. Hmm.

It's really a mind-bending thing. Jesus told the disciples to forgive people's sins, but "I don't have to confess my sins to a priest; I just go directly to God."

Also, I wonder if they know how mangled their Bibles are.

[Image: 3ac791ef6cf379f8023f5540c8bea94d--cathol...-humor.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes In His Love's post:
  • Justin Alphonsus
(10-23-2017, 01:27 PM)BC Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 06:47 PM)Zedta Wrote: The origin of the General Baptists is connected with the name of John Smyth (d. 1612), pastor (a disgruntled Anglican minister) of a church at Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, which had separated from the Church of England. His first act, in formation of this Church, was to perform an act of Blasphemy before 18 of his followers, by baptizing himself.
Actually I believe that incident properly belongs to Roger Williams, the founder of the Baptist "Church" in America.
Actually, it seems that it belongs to both of them, since Smyth is recorded to have baptised himself as well. However, in William's defense, there were probably no other anabaptist ministers around to perform the blasphemous act. In Smyth's case there is no such defense, since he 'baptised' himself in Holland, the home of the Mennonite anabaptists. In fact, he later repented of his self-baptism, wrote a letter of apology and joined a Mennonite congregation.

Article on Smyth from Wikipedia.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
Unfortunately, this Pastor doesn't realize that Southern Baptist's are in fact the fruit of the Roman Catholic Church, in fact all Protestant churches are the fruit, the daughters, of the Roman Catholic Church.  His Church is simply another daughter of the RCC.

And we must judge the tree by its fruit.  (33,000 fruits some say)

Perhaps the RCC needs to look as what really spurned Luther, Calvin, and the other Reformers on.  Maybe she needs to do some soul searching. Perhaps then she will understand the wrath that lingers in the veins of the Protestants, a wrath handed down by their forebears who had been trampled underfoot by the princes and lords of the Church. 

Scripture speaks of the political and temporal power grabs, the focus on wealth, the abuses of office.

"Fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath."

"You know how the leaders of the Gentiles lord it over them.  It shall not be so among you."

Indeed, Holy Mother Church is the mother of many, many churches.  Are her Protestant daughters abominations?  Have they prostituted themselves from the true faith?  

"The name written on her forehead was a mystery: babylon the great, the mother of prostitutes and of the abominations of the earth."

Let's be not quick to throw stones.

PREOSTRATEINAWE