Starting RCIA Thursday
Hello everyone, 

I will be starting RCIA this Thursday! I was blessed enough to be recommended a nice traditional church by an individual on this forum - it was a private message so I am respecting privacy - after I had expressed some concern with the slow process of the N.O. church I was attending at the time. I was wondering if I could ask for prayers as I begin this process that I can carry through to the end. I have a history in my life of never finishing things I start because I get nervous with my social anxiety, and I would very much desire to finish this all the way to Baptism and Confirmation. I have missed too many opportunities in my life because of this social anxiety condition, and I am fearful that as I progress into a more community setting (v. the small group of folks in the RCIA program currently) I will be overtaken with my fear as usual and not be able to finish.

I hope this isn't rude to ask for prayers for myself, but I could really use them. I'm overjoyed to be starting RCIA finally, but just the thought of attending the first class already has me feeling anxious.
I am in the process of discerning my vocation with the help of my priest. If you would like to read my thoughts as I progress through this process of discernment feel free to visit my blog: https://walkingthelittleway.com
(10-30-2017, 03:56 PM)IntoTheMystic Wrote: Hello everyone, 

I will be starting RCIA this Thursday! I was blessed enough to be recommended a nice traditional church by an individual on this forum - it was a private message so I am respecting privacy - after I had expressed some concern with the slow process of the N.O. church I was attending at the time. I was wondering if I could ask for prayers as I begin this process that I can carry through to the end. I have a history in my life of never finishing things I start because I get nervous with my social anxiety, and I would very much desire to finish this all the way to Baptism and Confirmation. I have missed too many opportunities in my life because of this social anxiety condition, and I am fearful that as I progress into a more community setting (v. the small group of folks in the RCIA program currently) I will be overtaken with my fear as usual and not be able to finish.

I hope this isn't rude to ask for prayers for myself, but I could really use them. I'm overjoyed to be starting RCIA finally, but just the thought of attending the first class already has me feeling anxious.

Welcome to the Church.  I am glad you are looking into Catholicism.  I became Catholic pretty much at the start of my adult life, and although I've messed up a lot along the way, it's been the experience of a lifetime.  I've never regretted it, not even for a moment.  When I went through RCIA, I had some social anxiety issues that largely stemmed from some difficulties in my teenage years.  It caused an awkward encounter or two with some other, louder members of RCIA, but looking back those weren't that big a deal.  Actually, the much bigger problem was that I had some difficulties that I needed to address with a faithful, trusted priest, and RCIA didn't really give me the opportunity to get to know the priest well enough to be able to do that.  Sometimes, I think one thing that would really have benefited me would have been to study privately with a priest or a competent layperson rather than to mess with the RCIA classes.  That used to be how it was done all the time, and that practice has kind of fallen out of practice over the past 50 years or so, but it still is done that way.  This is especially true with more traditional parishes.  Pray about it, and keep the communication open with the RCIA director and the priest.  If they're good at what they do, and they are aware of your situation, they'll try to work with you to accommodate your needs as best as they can.  Anxiety doesn't have to keep you away from the Church.

Also, just so you know, it is never, ever rude to ask for prayers for yourself.
IntoTheMystic,

I'll keep you among my Rosary intentions, happily.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
Bless you for making the plunge. It is never rude to ask for prayers, bless you for having the courage to accept humbleness to ask for prayers. May God give you the grace to continue on your journey to the fullness of Faith, Hope, and Charity.

I am a convert and I still attend the NO parish that I was catechized and confirmed in. I can accept the concerns about N.O. being too slow a process, I hope you mean slow as in 'too slow to join the next course once it has been started' since for me I had to wait a year before I could join RCIA. Honestly if it was not for the RCIA instructor reaching out to me throughout the year, and God's Grace (I can only guess he was praying for me), I would not be here today.

If you fear RCIA is too long, to instruct you, have no fear. Being Catholic is not just an event, it is a journey. No Catholic ever just "gets it" and that's the beauty of it. Your Faith becomes a part of you, like a child with which you have to nourish if you wish for it to honor and love you.
Thank you all for the kind wishes, prayers, and advice <3 I love this forum, and I am so glad I happened across it at such a formative time in my exploration of Faith. I must say, if it wasn't for the main part (the part without the forums) I probably would have continued to flounder around in the NO church and eventually leave when it failed to live up to all the hype I heard. However, the Traditional church I have started to attend is amazing, and I would have never even known to look for it had I not happened across this forums.

Thanks again everyone! I'm excited about tomorrows class - even if I'm a bit nervous.
I am in the process of discerning my vocation with the help of my priest. If you would like to read my thoughts as I progress through this process of discernment feel free to visit my blog: https://walkingthelittleway.com
(10-30-2017, 05:09 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote:  Sometimes, I think one thing that would really have benefited me would have been to study privately with a priest or a competent layperson rather than to mess with the RCIA classes.  That used to be how it was done all the time, and that practice has kind of fallen out of practice over the past 50 years or so, but it still is done that way.  This is especially true with more traditional parishes.  
Also, just so you know, it is never, ever rude to ask for prayers for yourself.

When I was received into the Church over 35 years ago, I was lucky enough to have a very conservative NO Pastor who didn't buy into the whole RCIA thing. In my Parish now, we do have RCIA, but the Pastor makes it clear that he will also privately instruct anyone who wishes to do it that way.

IntoTheMystic, be assured of my prayers as well. RCIA programs are a grab bag, Some are excellent and some are horrible. I went through one as a volunteer sponsor for a fellow that knew no one in the Parish. It was presented by two priests and a nun.. Whenever anyone asked a question about a specifically Catholic matter, e.g. invocation of the Saints, we were told 'We'll cover that later'. Unfortunately we never did.

I knew of at least one person who went through the program, was received, and then moved to a Diocese where Catholicism was actually taught. She then left the Church, saying that had she known what the Church actually taught, she would never have joined.

One night, after the session, a group of us went out for coffee. A friend of mine who, like me had started out in the Methodist tradition, turned to me and said, 'You know, Jovan, I've heard this all before, and better, in Methodist Sunday School.

To top it all off, as we waited in the Church basement on Holy Saturday evening, waiting to process into the Vigil Liturgy, I was chatting with the fellow I was sponsoring. In the conversation, it came out that he was divorced and 'remarried'. I have no idea what his canonical position was, whether the first marriage was sacramental or not, but what horrified me was that 1) marriage law had not been adequately covered in the program, and 2) that the Pastor had not even thought to check out something so important.

I had a friend, in the same Parish, who was called a heretic in a class for quoting one of the more 'unpopular' statements of Vatican II, you know those things that aren't part of 'the Spirit of the Council', like its endorsement of Latin in the Liturgy. The following week, she brought a copy of the Conciliar decrees to prove her point. The Pastor told her she might be 'more comfortable' finding another Parish in which to be received.

I pray your program is better than the ones in my old Parish!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

Hello everyone :) I would like to post a quick update: I've attended two sessions of the RCIA program. It's very good, and the Priest has been kind enough to meet with me on a few occasions between sessions to answer some questions I've had crop up. I am enjoying the program so far, and I'm excited to continue growing in Faith. Thank you all again for your prayers. It has helped :)
One more update on this if anyone would like to know how my working towards Baptism is going :) We had our Rite of Acceptance today during afternoon Mass so I guess I am now 'officially checking this out' LOL Thank you all for your prayers to help make this process happen for me. If all goes well I should be entering the Church around Easter.

However, I could use some more prayers if anyone can spare them. My anxiety was high today being that there are only two of us unbaptized in our RCIA group - being in front of a lot of people is never the easiest thing for me to do (I came home and napped afterward because my social anxiety just drained me). I would really appreciate some prayers to help me overcome this anxiety or at least overcome it well enough that it does not cause me to 'chicken out' on Baptism because of the social anxiety caused by being in front of people etc. LOL. Perhaps this is a silly issue, but my anxiety causes me a lot of issues so I'd be very thankful for a prayer or two :)
Continuing to give some updates. The first scrutiny was this Sunday :) I am getting close, and I'm extremely excited :) If anyone can spare some prayers while I finish this RCIA process I would very much appreciate it. I'm counting down the days until baptism and confirmation. <3
Goodness how could I have missed this.  Yes, I will continue to pray for you.  Stay strong and keep your eyes on Christ!

Easter is arriving soon and while you may be anxious, the moment the priest baptises and anoints you...your journey is just getting started.  I cannot wait to call you a sister.  Prayers will be going for you :)