Anyone know anything about Florida? Thinking of moving there...
Hey everyone,

I'm getting married in June (praise God for giving me such a wonderful man!) and we are discussing possibly living in Florida for a while (my hubby to be is able to work from home, so we can technically live anywhere in the country). We want to have some healthy distance from our immediate families (his on the East Coast and mine in the Midwest) and we also want to try living in a new place where we can "leave and cleave."

I have an uncle who lives in Longwood and we are looking at some places in Daytona Beach, (we would prefer living on the coast) but before we get too excited I would like to hear from any of you out there who know anything about FL and what it is like to live there. Obviously it is a big state, so some info on places to avoid (or the best places to be) would be helpful. How are the taxes? Crime rate? Cost of living? Gas? Is it difficult to get a drivers license if you're from another state? Are they gun-friendly? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

St. Mary of Egypt, Ora Pro Nobis!

(10-31-2017, 12:03 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: Hey everyone,

I'm getting married in June (praise God for giving me such a wonderful man!) and we are discussing possibly living in Florida for a while (my hubby to be is able to work from home, so we can technically live anywhere in the country). We want to have some healthy distance from our immediate families (his on the East Coast and mine in the Midwest) and we also want to try living in a new place where we can "leave and cleave."

I have an uncle who lives in Longwood and we are looking at some places in Daytona Beach, (we would prefer living on the coast) but before we get too excited I would like to hear from any of you out there who know anything about FL and what it is like to live there. Obviously it is a big state, so some info on places to avoid (or the best places to be) would be helpful. How are the taxes? Crime rate? Cost of living? Gas? Is it difficult to get a drivers license if you're from another state? Are they gun-friendly? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you have both lived in the Northeast and Midwest, you are going to find it horribly humid year round, and hot for about 9 months of that.  If that's a problem, you may want to rethink anything south of Virginia.
My brother-in-law lives in Florida and he seems to like it down there. Although, I think part of him wouldn't mind moving a little further north to somewhere like Georgia. 

If you like the heat and humidity, you'll live Florida. The summers can be unbearable, but the rest of the year is alright. Of course you won't really have  any seasons (except Hurricane Season!) unless you're in the northern part of Florida.

Also, Florida is kind of a snow bird haven. If you aren't too fond of seeing tons of people who are from New York, New England, and Quebec living all around you, then you may not be too fond of Florida. Although this probably exists more in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami region more than other places. For this reason Florida doesn't really feel like "The South." You may get that more in northern Florida, but surely not in the more southern regions.

One thing about Florida is that it's pretty cheap (of course salaries reflect that as well) and there is lots of expansion everywhere, seems like they're constantly building something. Also, there's no personal state income tax which is nice. 

Personally, as someone who's never lived south of Maryland, I'd probably not go any further south than Virginia or maybe the Carolinas (more North Carolina since you can actually find work in the Raleigh/Charlotte areas). Although I do find Georgia to be quite pretty, but it gets too hot for my taste.

Also, if you plan on moving, one thing I'd recommend is to check Ecclesia Dei (http://www.ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm) and make sure you're at least within half an hour or so of a Latin Mass (or at least within a tolerable distance). I find this to be extremely important.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
(10-31-2017, 12:03 PM)SacraCor714 Wrote: Hey everyone,

As a worldling, I lived in Florida for 2 years just north of Daytona Beach until I converted.  The town was called Ormond Beach.  I drove a taxi-cab in Daytona Beach, I worked retail jobs in Daytona Beach and the surrounding area, and I lived half a block from the ocean while studying for the state's Bar exam.  Once I converted, I attended mass at the Basilica of St. Paul.  Those are my credentials, now here's my opinion of the area and it's inhabitants.  

First and foremost, the Church in Daytona is sick and suffering.  There are no Latin Mass communities in the area--you'll have to travel at least an hour north or south to find a mass of all time.  The novus ordo masses available were indistinguishable from the Episcopalean services of my youth.  This was very confusing to me when I was trying to enter the church.      

The beach is beautiful but difficult to enjoy as it's populated by throngs of 15 year old naked girls... well, they're clothed if you consider a micro-thong clothing.  It's not good for men and the results are palpable.  The only culture to speak of is EXTREMELY hedonistic.  Surfing, drinking, drugs, and being seen on the beach.  The result is violent crime.  Sexual assaults, murders and assaults are double the national average.  Property crimes are well above national averages.  In short, we called it "Dirt-tona", because the city is grimy.  Drug use is rampant, and there are many homeless people.  On an anecdotal level, I knew more than one girl that had been drugged and assaulted.  I suppose that's why FL is relatively gun friendly. 

There are two yearly events:  The Daytona 500 and "Bikeweek".  During bikeweek, a half-a million motorcycles descend on the city.  Leather chaps, loud bikes, and leather-skinned old folks.  It's a nightmare.  Locals often describe those events thusly, "During those days, I don't leave my house unless I have to." 

But the cost of living is cheap.  I had a 2 bed, 2 bath bungalow a 3 min walk from beach and my rent was 1200.  I had no trouble getting a license, but registering your car in state can be quite expensive the first time.  I don't remember anything remarkable about taxes.  

In short, you'd have a hell of a time being a good catholic newlywed couple in Daytona and the surrounding area.
Incline into my aid, o God!  My Lord hasten to help me!
I've lived in the Gainesville area since 2003  and absolutely love it.  This part of Florida is more Deep South in feel than places further south but i like that.  We actually have distinct seasons here even if they are subtle. 

The heat is overrated in my opinion. I worked outside here for almost ten years and can say that you just get used to it the same way folks up north have to grin and bear and get used to sub zero temps for 3 or 4 months a year.  Every place has its tradeoffs. 

What I love about Florida, especially north central, is that  everything is pretty close, and there are few snowbirds around here.  The Gulf is less than an hour away in one direction while the ocean is about 1.5 hours in the other, not to mention we have beautiful springs, rivers and hiking available right in the county.  

Florida has distinct cultures based on where you are.  Miami is overwhelming Hispanic, in fact, Miami fellas more like Latin America than the USA  and there are some parts where you should know Spanish to feel comfortable. SW part of the state and the keys are super wealthy and expensive with lots of retirees. SW is also where FSSP is based, having chapels in Sarasota,Naples and a Sunday slot way up in Ocala 3 hours north of there. 

There are plenty of options for liturgy depending on where you want to settle. 

All in all I love living in Florida, and after close to 15 years here I've got no real desire to go elsewhere.  Hope this helps.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
Quote:you may want to rethink anything south of Virginia.

He is right, everything south of Virginia is bad.  Indeed, everything north of Virginia is bad. Same with all things east and west.  Just come to Virginia, it is great.
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
Wow, thanks for all the info, everyone. And I would like to live in VA...that's where my fiance is from (Norfolk area). Lots of things to consider! The nice thing about living in my part of the upper Midwest is that the crime rate is very low (but we do have a lot of Somalis thanks to Obama opening the doors--they are terrible drivers and rude to everybody, not to mention that they multiply more than Jesus's loaves and fishes...lol). A low crime rate is something you take for granted I guess. 

If anyone wants information about moving to the upper Midwest, let me know! :D

St. Mary of Egypt, Ora Pro Nobis!

If you are looking for an area with little to no crime, than the western half of Virginia is a really nice place.  Most people out here tend to keep to themselves, and all the troublemakers are in the cities (usually Northern kids who went to UVA or Liberty). 

The Blue Ridge mountains have always felt like home to me, I honestly don’t think I could ever call any other place home.  They aren’t as mighty or imposing as other mountains, but the land just feels old here, and there is just some beauty about that to me.  

If you and your fiancée are city folk then Fredericksburg, Charlottesville and Lynchburg  are going through a modest boom time.  They have built so much here since I was a kid (which I personally don’t like.  I have always hated the way modern American cities are built.  There is far too much focus on marketing and commerce, way too much asphalt and parking lots, it is dismal and ugly.)  Your fiancée shouldn’t have a hard-time finding work.  The cost of living will grow higher as you move further into the cities, so keep that in mind.  

In terms of climate, summer is hotter than hell, and dreadfully humid, but there is plenty to do to cool off, lots of rivers and lakes around and depending on where you live the ocean is never too far away.  Autumn is by far my favourite time of year, the wildlife is more active, the whole state is orange, red or yellow, the air has a slight bite in it.   Winters are unpredictable, the last couple of years we have had very mild snows, but every now and again you get a good 1 to 2 feet the stuff.  If you are into snowboarding and skiing, we have a couple of resorts you can go to, Wintergreen is the one I am most familiar with.  Spring time usually mild, generally a wetter time of year.

In terms of firearms, welcome to the South.  Outside of the metropolitan college towns, pretty much everyone I know hunts and shoots.  There is plenty of fishing to be had, either on the rivers on the Chesapeake,  I have never been able to get anything more than a minnow, but I am told there is a lot of luck (skill?) involved.

We have a lot of traditional masses around.  If you decide to live near Richmond, there is St. Joseph, FSSP and Our Lady of Fatima SSPX.  If you live around Fredericksburg there is St. Patrick’s in Spotsylvania and St. Anthony of Padua in King George, both diocesan.  If you live in the Charlottesville Lynchburg area, there is Holy Comforter in Charlottesville, and St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary, SSPX in Buckingham.
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
Northern Virginia and DC area also have lots of TLMs, although it's a much more expensive and liberal area.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612
I agree with what FB said, 'course I live about 20 miles north of him.

Ya summers are hot, but that's why you have air conditioning. You can live inside up north 7 months a year, or do it down here. Up north its snow and ice, down here its humidity and thunderstorms. Living is generally less expensive here. No state income tax, low sales taxes, no tax on unprepared foods, low (generally) property taxes: I live in Union County on 10 acres in a 3/3 home and my property taxes this year are under $600. I run the a/c all summer and my bill for electricity averages about $135/ mo. Gas today was $2.32/gal including sales tax. Its fall and the a/c is off. My electric bill is down to $80.

I was born and raised in SoCal. I have lived here in Florida, Central around Orlando for most of that time, and now in North Central Florida, for 43 years. I love it here. Especially up north. Anything south of Ocala has too many Yankee invaders and they make things nasty. That's what happened to Orlando and I'm glad I'm out of there. Taxes and cost of living and crime go up the more south and east in Florida you go from Orlando. Daytona south, beaches are party time. West coast, not so much and the Gulf is really nice. Fishing too.

My daughter lives in Ormond Beach, right across the street from the Ocean and lives in a one BR duplex. Rent around $900. Low crime and not as busy and rowdy as south in Daytona.

St. Augustine is a nice Diocese. Bishop Estevez is rather Traditional and most parishes are conservative outside the higher populated areas. North Florida is part of the south end of the Bible Belt, so Catholics are in the minority here, but I love it.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous that he cannot believe it exists.
J Edgar Hoover

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain