Mom Beats Kid Over Bible Verses
This sort of thing is part of the reason why "Christians" as a group get bashed, even Catholics. Gee, I wonder how this kid will feel about religion when she's an adult. From ClickOrlando:

Mother jailed up to 5 years for brutally beating daughter who incorrectly recited Bible verses
Posted: 8:39 AM, October 31, 2017 Updated: 8:39 AM, October 31, 2017

A Pennsylvania mother who made headlines after allegations arose she brutally beat her young daughter who incorrectly recited Bible verses will serve time in prison.

Rhonda Shoffner was sentenced last week to between 2 and five years in prison after pleading guilty to charges including aggravated assault of her daughter, who was younger than 13.

She will reportedlyalso serve five years of probation after she's released from prison.

Cops say Shoffner, 41, was drunk when she ordered her daughter to get on her knees in the bathroom in her and recite verses.
Shoffner allegedly slammed her daughter's head into the wall each time she made a mistake.

Shoffner choked her daughter, cutting off her airway and biting her forearm beforedigging her teethinto the girls left shoulder, police told PennLive.com.

All the while, the girl fought back and begged her mother to stop, she said.

Finally, Shoffner said: Just leave and dont ever come back.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
This is the kind of stupidity that drove me away from the Church, and religion in general, for a few years.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
I don't understand why Protestants are so gung ho about memorizing verses of scripture. Sure, it's nice to know some, but it really has no impact on whether someone is a holy person or not.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
(11-01-2017, 09:56 AM)GangGreen Wrote: I don't understand why Protestants are so gung ho about memorizing verses of scripture. Sure, it's nice to know some, but it really has no impact on whether someone is a holy person or not.

Let's not lump all Protestants in with nuts like this. Remember, the article says she was drunk. No serious Protestant would do this kinda thing( maybe fundies would) This sort of thing seems common in Fundamentalist circles.
I think GangGreen was simply talking about the propensity of the general run of protestants to memorise Scripture. I know, in my experience they're really big on it. I was a, non-fundie, protestant for years. I once got a new Bible for memorising the 'Twenty Third' Psalm (actually, the 22nd Psalm!). And in Methodist Sunday School we got prizes for Scripture memorisation.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(12-15-2017, 01:11 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I think GangGreen was simply talking about the propensity of the general run of protestants to memorise Scripture. I know, in my experience they're really big on it. I was a, non-fundie, protestant for years. I once got a new Bible for memorising the 'Twenty Third' Psalm (actually, the 22nd Psalm!). And in Methodist Sunday School we got prizes for Scripture memorisation.

It's a sad irony of protestantism that its adherents love and memorize Scripture while also not putting very important parts of it into practice (being one of the generations to call Our Lady blessed, confessing sins to a priest, receiving Communion, reading a Bible with books taken out despite the warning not to change the words in this book, etc).
[-] The following 1 user Likes In His Love's post:
  • jovan66102
(12-15-2017, 10:31 AM)In His Love Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 01:11 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I think GangGreen was simply talking about the propensity of the general run of protestants to memorise Scripture. I know, in my experience they're really big on it. I was a, non-fundie, protestant for years. I once got a new Bible for memorising the 'Twenty Third' Psalm (actually, the 22nd Psalm!). And in Methodist Sunday School we got prizes for Scripture memorisation.

It's a sad irony of protestantism that its adherents love and memorize Scripture while also not putting very important parts of it into practice (being one of the generations to call Our Lady blessed, confessing sins to a priest, receiving Communion, reading a Bible with books taken out despite the warning not to change the words in this book, etc).

Yes.  While memorizing swaths of Scripture passages is fine in itself and being familiar with Scripture is definitely good and important, it is in no way necessary for salvation.  Early Christians might have had some Psalms memorized, but very likely not a bunch of New Testament quotes.

Christ says if one does not eat His flesh and drink His blood he does not have life in him.  

The young man asked Christ what must he do to be saved.  Follow the commandments, Christ says.

It is ironic that some flavors of Protestants will smugly revel in their Bible passage memorizations and flaunt it before Catholics as to shame them, and yet little do they know, at their Judgement Christ may very well tell them He never knew them.
"The missionaries of the 16th century were convinced that the unbaptized person is lost forever. After the Second Vatican Council, this conviction was definitely abandoned. The result was a two-sided, deep crisis. Without this attentiveness to salvation, the Faith loses its foundation." -Benedict XVI, Avvenire interview, March 16th, 2016
[-] The following 2 users Like BC's post:
  • In His Love, jovan66102
(12-15-2017, 03:13 PM)BC Wrote:

Yes.  While memorizing swaths of Scripture passages is fine in itself and being familiar with Scripture is definitely good and important, it is in no way necessary for salvation.  Early Christians might have had some Psalms memorized, but very likely not a bunch of New Testament quotes.

Christ says if one does not eat His flesh and drink His blood he does not have life in him.  

The young man asked Christ what must he do to be saved.  Follow the commandments, Christ says.

It is ironic that some flavors of Protestants will smugly revel in their Bible passage memorizations and flaunt it before Catholics as to shame them, and yet little do they know, at their Judgement Christ may very well tell them He never knew them.

He may, but my position toward Protestants is a bit softer than most Trads. Most of them have no idea what serious Catholicism teaches. They have a caricature of what they think Catholicism is in their minds. The modern Vatican II Church doesn't help either. Even if they don't believe good works are needed for salvation, serious devout Protestants will perform good works( they'd say the works are fruits of real faith) They are in grave error in a number of areas, but our God is a merciful God. I don't think people will be damned for doctrinal error. If they repent, believe, and do the works that Christ commanded, they will be saved. Just my view
(12-15-2017, 04:35 PM)JEvolian18 Wrote:

He may, but my position toward Protestants is a bit softer than most Trads. Most of them have no idea what serious Catholicism teaches. They have a caricature of what they think Catholicism is in their minds. The modern Vatican II Church doesn't help either. Even if they don't believe good works are needed for salvation, serious devout Protestants will perform good works( they'd say the works are fruits of real faith) They are in grave error in a number of areas, but our God is a merciful God. I don't think people will be damned for doctrinal error. If they repent, believe, and do the works that Christ commanded, they will be saved. Just my view
It really depends on how much they know and what they're ignorant of. Either way, the position they're in is a dangerous one.
(12-15-2017, 04:36 PM)In His Love Wrote:
(12-15-2017, 04:35 PM)JEvolian18 Wrote:

It really depends on how much they know and what they're ignorant of. Either way, the position they're in is a dangerous one.
Absolutely. As is the positio of many NO Catholics