Marmite
VoxClamantis Wrote:
GrumpyTroll Wrote:
Spooky7272 Wrote:What is Nutella?
Do you not have Nutella where you live? It is a chocolate and hazelnut spread that you can put on bread, in the absence of which one is compelled to finish the (truly inconvenient) pot with a spoon. Mind your cholesterol, though.

And, Spooks, it's Eye-talian, too!

The main website: http://www.nutella.it/

The USA website: http://www.nutellausa.com/

Oh, that looks so yummy. Chocolate and hazelnut [Image: gimmefood.gif] I'll look for that next time I'm at the store... I wonder where though [Image: hmmm.gif]
Nooo spooks, don't go for it! That is heresy! How could you ever eat sweet things on your morning toast again after you've been exposed to delicious vegemite?

[Image: laff.gif]
Nutella is pretty tasty.  I found some marmite at my place of work today.  I didn't buy it... =P

Pinoy Monk

I hate Nutella on bread.....its beaut by itself!
After we were first married, Clare made me a sandwich with Nutella and Peanut Butter.

I think she was trying to kill me. [Image: shrug.gif][Image: beatingdeadhorse.gif]
When I was in Australia I was served a breakfast of scrambled eggs, brains, and vegemite toast . . . as I recall, the brains were more appetizing than the vegemite . . . but both were rather foul . . . I would rather have had the beer.
Croppyboy Wrote:When I was in Australia I was served a breakfast of scrambled eggs, brains, and vegemite toast . . . as I recall, the brains were more appetizing than the vegemite . . . but both were rather foul . . . I would rather have had the beer.

Wouldn't we all?
Sheep's brains on toast hey?
Well didn't you get an introduction to Aussie tucker!
Spooky, do you want me to send you some sheep brains?
You wont be surprise to know that politicians are compared to sheep cos of the size of their brains....
Please!  Vegemite may be healthy (or not) but it's flavor is vile, or truly an acquired taste.  I wonder if anyone can name an American food substance that is as curious as that....
Spooky7272 Wrote:Ok, due to Marty's generous generosity by sending me some real Vegemite, I will compare the two.

Vegemite is infinitely superior in palatablity. The texture is also easier to spread, as the Marmite is more "stringy", a bit like honey but thicker. Vegemite is much better, imho. I wouldn't describe either as yummy right off the bat, but rather something to get used to.

I tried both on 100% Whole Wheat bread, toasted, spread first with real butter.

Btw, should I refrigerate the open jars?

No need to refridgerate. The pantry storage is fine!

(Peanut butter and vegemite, don't have time to go off in our pantry.....always re-stocking supplies)!

marykaty Wrote:Please!  Vegemite may be healthy (or not) but it's flavor is vile, or truly an acquired taste.  I wonder if anyone can name an American food substance that is as curious as that....

The only food I can think of that is uniquely American would be "Easy Cheese"  (cheese in a can) or maybe "Cheez Whiz" which pretty much looks and tastes like melted plastic.

BTW, I'll pass on the sheep's brains, Marty [Image: puke.gif]