Clarity on the rules while praying the Little Office of the BVM
[Image: latin_cross.png?v=5]PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM [Image: latin_cross.png?v=5]

Hello,

Since I wear the scapular, as a part of the stipulated conditions, I say the “Prime” and the “Compline” office of the Blessed Virgin Mary on a daily basis which I had obtained from a website in the form of a PDF…

However, recently I discovered a PDF format of a book containing the Matins, Lauds, Prime, Terce, Sexta, None, Vespers and Compline with all the stipulated antiphons w.r.t. the liturgucal season, along with the Office of the Dead… Unfortunately, the print edition will not be made available in my country…[Image: disappointed.png?v=5]

I went through the rules at the start of the book but seek clarity… Could someone who prays it regularly, please help me out by explaining the rules in a more simple, elucid manner…?

[P.S.
I’ll be providing the URL : https://archive.org/details/littleofficeofbl00newy2
It’s a PDF of a 1915 edition by Benziger Brothers]
[Image: y4mYRN-ummmkmVnvHhXskhcmGwkdRP6s0fIGNOHH...pmode=none]
I've prayed it for years, although I've never prayed a version that includes the Office of the Dead.  Any specific questions?  I'd be happy to try and answer it.  
Also, there is a Kindle version of it.  A little less awkward then PDF.  That's what I use- much easier to carry around. :)
“If I saw the gates of hell open and I stood on the brink of the abyss, I would not despair; I would not lose hope of mercy, because I would trust in you, my God.” ~St. Gemma
(11-17-2017, 12:45 AM)kunoichi Wrote: Also, there is a Kindle version of it.  A little less awkward then PDF.  That's what I use- much easier to carry around. :)
Be careful buying it on Kindle, tho'. There several titles of the 'Little office', some of which are the Traditional Office, but at least one other is a mishmash of prayers masquerading as the Office. I unfortunately bought the mishmash first, and then had to buy a real LOBVM.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[Image: latin_cross.png?v=5] PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM [Image: latin_cross.png?v=5]

(11-17-2017, 12:45 AM)kunoichi Wrote: I've prayed it for years, although I've never prayed a version that includes the Office of the Dead.  Any specific questions?  I'd be happy to try and answer it.  
Also, there is a Kindle version of it.  A little less awkward then PDF.  That's what I use- much easier to carry around. :)

I have attached the screenshots for your reference...

I seek clarification for steps 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 11, 12, 15... Could you break it down and explain in it a more lucid manner

BTW... I would like to know which Kindle version do you use...? Could you please provide me the title...?

Thanks in advance... :)
This a solid, Traditional, orthodox Kindle edition of the LOBVM by the Transalpine Redemptorists.

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Office-Blessed-Virgin-Mary-ebook/dp/B01HT13UFO/ref=pd_sim_351_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D6KFE6AW8JQKB7F8KPG0

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 2 users Like jovan66102's post:
  • AndreasIosephus, kunoichi
The version I use is this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Little-Office-Blessed-Virgin-Mary-ebook/dp/B00IGKZNC6/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1510982545&sr=8-1-fkmr0&dpID=41ix063lDfL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=detail  

It's .99, so it's a good deal. ::)

As for your questions:  

3.  The Anthem of the Blessed Virgin (found at the end after Compline) with different ones for different times of the year, is only prayed after Lauds and Compline.  But if when you pray Lauds you go on to pray the little hours (Prime, Terce, Sext, and None), then you only pray the Anthem after Compline. 
4. Don’t worry about that one unless you’re reciting it publicly in church.
5.  You only recite the Pater and Ave at the end of the hour you are concluding your recitation with, except Lauds and Compline (Anthem) and Matins (Te Deum).  So if you say Lauds then Prime in one setting, then stop, you would only say the Pater and the Ave at the end of Prime, and no Anthem.
6.  Although it’s good if you can follow the standing/sitting/kneeling parts when you are praying privately, it’s not necessary.   It’s kind of one of those things that is hard to explain, and as you pray it you’ll get the hang of it.
7.  No Te Deum in Lent or Advent unless it’s a feast of the Blessed Virgin or St. Joseph (ex.  The Immaculate Conception usually falls during Advent)
10.  From Septuagesima Sunday to Holy Saturday, no “Alleluias”- they’re all replaced with “Laus Tibi, Domine”
11.  The Gloria is never omitted, even in Lent.
12. During Pascal-time, the Alleluia is not said after the invitory, versicles, or responses (mostly applies to Matins). 
13.  The anthem Regina Caeli is begun after Compline on Holy Saturday, and is recited for the last time Lauds of the Saturday before Trinity Sunday (In other words, a cycle of recitation is not Matins to Matins, it’s Vespers to Vespers.)
14.  I’ve never had a version with the various patron saints commemorations, so I can’t help you with that one.

This all sounds far more complicated then it actually is.  I had a friend who prayed the Office for years show me and I just stared at her blankly when she was done.   Just getting in there and doing it is the best way to learn.  Some of the rubrics only apply if you're praying in a group or publicly.  It's much easier then it sounds. 
“If I saw the gates of hell open and I stood on the brink of the abyss, I would not despair; I would not lose hope of mercy, because I would trust in you, my God.” ~St. Gemma
[-] The following 1 user Likes kunoichi's post:
  • AndreasIosephus
(11-18-2017, 01:34 AM)kunoichi Wrote: The version I use is this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Little-Office-Blessed-Virgin-Mary-ebook/dp/B00IGKZNC6/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1510982545&sr=8-1-fkmr0&dpID=41ix063lDfL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=detail  
With all due respect, and meaning no offence, that is the one I bought by accident and had to buy another to get the 'real' Little Office. It has a wealth of great prayers, but it has very little in common with the Little Office as prayed by monks, priests and laity for centuries, or even with the post-Conciliar 'Little Offices' that have been constructed on the basis of the Liturgy of the Hours and used by many modern Third Orders.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • AndreasIosephus
(11-18-2017, 01:34 AM)kunoichi Wrote: The version I use is this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Little-Office-Blessed-Virgin-Mary-ebook/dp/B00IGKZNC6/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1510982545&sr=8-1-fkmr0&dpID=41ix063lDfL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=detail  

It's .99, so it's a good deal. ::)

As for your questions:  

3.  The Anthem of the Blessed Virgin (found at the end after Compline) with different ones for different times of the year, is only prayed after Lauds and Compline.  But if when you pray Lauds you go on to pray the little hours (Prime, Terce, Sext, and None), then you only pray the Anthem after Compline. 
4. Don’t worry about that one unless you’re reciting it publicly in church.
5.  You only recite the Pater and Ave at the end of the hour you are concluding your recitation with, except Lauds and Compline (Anthem) and Matins (Te Deum).  So if you say Lauds then Prime in one setting, then stop, you would only say the Pater and the Ave at the end of Prime, and no Anthem.
6.  Although it’s good if you can follow the standing/sitting/kneeling parts when you are praying privately, it’s not necessary.   It’s kind of one of those things that is hard to explain, and as you pray it you’ll get the hang of it.
7.  No Te Deum in Lent or Advent unless it’s a feast of the Blessed Virgin or St. Joseph (ex.  The Immaculate Conception usually falls during Advent)
10.  From Septuagesima Sunday to Holy Saturday, no “Alleluias”- they’re all replaced with “Laus Tibi, Domine”
11.  The Gloria is never omitted, even in Lent.
12. During Pascal-time, the Alleluia is not said after the invitory, versicles, or responses (mostly applies to Matins). 
13.  The anthem Regina Caeli is begun after Compline on Holy Saturday, and is recited for the last time Lauds of the Saturday before Trinity Sunday (In other words, a cycle of recitation is not Matins to Matins, it’s Vespers to Vespers.)
14.  I’ve never had a version with the various patron saints commemorations, so I can’t help you with that one.

This all sounds far more complicated then it actually is.  I had a friend who prayed the Office for years show me and I just stared at her blankly when she was done.   Just getting in there and doing it is the best way to learn.  Some of the rubrics only apply if you're praying in a group or publicly.  It's much easier then it sounds. 

Thanks a lot for the interpretation, kunoichi...! :)

In case, I have any doubts, will get back to you...

+PAX ET BONUM...! +
(11-18-2017, 01:45 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
With all due respect, and meaning no offence, that is the one I bought by accident and had to buy another to get the 'real' Little Office. It has a wealth of great prayers, but it has very little in common with the Little Office as prayed by monks, priests and laity for centuries, or even with the post-Conciliar 'Little Offices' that have been constructed on the basis of the Liturgy of the Hours and used by many modern Third Orders.

Thanks for your inputs, jovan66102...! :)

+PAX ET BONUM...!+ :)
(11-18-2017, 01:45 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:

Hmmm.  Maybe I gave the wrong link.  I chose that one because it matched my two previous print Offices the closest.  I had a print pre-VII version by...Carmel Books? I think it was, and then I had the print one that Baronius Press put out.