Clarity on the rules while praying the Little Office of the BVM
(11-18-2017, 11:18 PM)kunoichi Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 01:45 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 01:34 AM)kunoichi Wrote: The version I use is this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Little-Office-Blessed-Virgin-Mary-ebook/dp/B00IGKZNC6/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1510982545&sr=8-1-fkmr0&dpID=41ix063lDfL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=detail  
With all due respect, and meaning no offence, that is the one I bought by accident and had to buy another to get the 'real' Little Office. It has a wealth of great prayers, but it has very little in common with the Little Office as prayed by monks, priests and laity for centuries, or even with the post-Conciliar 'Little Offices' that have been constructed on the basis of the Liturgy of the Hours and used by many modern Third Orders.

Hmmm.  Maybe I gave the wrong link.  I chose that one because it matched my two previous print Offices the closest.  I had a print pre-VII version by...Carmel Books? I think it was, and then I had the print one that Baronius Press put out.

Well, unless there are two versions of the LOBVM put out by Catholic Way Publishing (since they do use the exact same 'cover' on all their Kindle books) this one has only Prime and Vespers for each day, and prayers from the East, Anglo-Saxon Saints, etc. thrown into the mix.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(11-18-2017, 01:34 AM)kunoichi Wrote: 5.  You only recite the Pater and Ave at the end of the hour you are concluding your recitation with, except Lauds and Compline (Anthem) and Matins (Te Deum).  So if you say Lauds then Prime in one setting, then stop, you would only say the Pater and the Ave at the end of Prime, and no Anthem.

In that case, the Anthem would be said at the end of Prime. See Rubric 3 - "unless the Little Hours follow immediately after Lauds, then then Anthem is said after the last Hour."

(11-18-2017, 01:34 AM)kunoichi Wrote: 11.  The Gloria is never omitted, even in Lent.

This isn't the Gloria in excelsis that's used at Mass, but the Gloria Patri that's said at the end of the Psalms. In the regular Office, it's omitted during Passiontide, but not in the Little Office.

(11-18-2017, 01:34 AM)kunoichi Wrote: 14.  I’ve never had a version with the various patron saints commemorations, so I can’t help you with that one.

The commemoration for a particular saint would be found in the Breviary, and would be the patron of the church or order. For praying it privately, it would be the saint your parish is named for. If made, it would be said after the Collect Concéde nos. at Vespers or Deus, qui de. at Lauds, and before the common commemoration which begins with the Antiphon Sancti Dei omnes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
  • AndreasIosephus
(11-19-2017, 12:53 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 11:18 PM)kunoichi Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 01:45 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(11-18-2017, 01:34 AM)kunoichi Wrote: The version I use is this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Little-Office-Blessed-Virgin-Mary-ebook/dp/B00IGKZNC6/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1510982545&sr=8-1-fkmr0&dpID=41ix063lDfL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=detail  
With all due respect, and meaning no offence, that is the one I bought by accident and had to buy another to get the 'real' Little Office. It has a wealth of great prayers, but it has very little in common with the Little Office as prayed by monks, priests and laity for centuries, or even with the post-Conciliar 'Little Offices' that have been constructed on the basis of the Liturgy of the Hours and used by many modern Third Orders.

Hmmm.  Maybe I gave the wrong link.  I chose that one because it matched my two previous print Offices the closest.  I had a print pre-VII version by...Carmel Books? I think it was, and then I had the print one that Baronius Press put out.

Well, unless there are two versions of the LOBVM put out by Catholic Way Publishing (since they do use the exact same 'cover' on all their Kindle books) this one has only Prime and Vespers for each day, and prayers from the East, Anglo-Saxon Saints, etc. thrown into the mix.

Ok, then I definitely gave the wrong link.  Mine has all the Hours and none of the weird prayers.  Off to research it. :)
“If I saw the gates of hell open and I stood on the brink of the abyss, I would not despair; I would not lose hope of mercy, because I would trust in you, my God.” ~St. Gemma
(11-20-2017, 01:01 AM)kunoichi Wrote: Ok, then I definitely gave the wrong link.  Mine has all the Hours and none of the weird prayers.  Off to research it. :)

It may very well be that there are two versions. Since the link you posted did not have the 'Look Inside' option, and since I already own a Carmelite Rite edition of the pre-conciliar office, as wll as using the Roman Rite LOBVM on divinumofficum.com, I didn't want to buy it. I'll be interested in what you find out. ;)

And, AndreasIosephus, I forgot to mention divinumofficium.com. If you're already using a computer, it's much, much easier than a pdf, it has both Latin and English, and you don't have to worry about seasonal changes because it will show the Office of the Day with the proper readings, responses, etc.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • AndreasIosephus
I just checked the link you posted again, and took me straight to the one I purchased over two years ago and had to replace because it wasn't the 'real' LOBVM. Looking forward to what you discover. Kindle is really handy, because if the book is downloaded to your device, you don't need internet access to read it. When we go camping, I have no phone or data access, but I can read!

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
✟PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM...! ✟

Is it necessary to pray all the Offices of the Hours...? I'm finding it difficult due to my irregular sleep pattern...

Thanks in advance... :)
[Image: y4mYRN-ummmkmVnvHhXskhcmGwkdRP6s0fIGNOHH...pmode=none]
(01-30-2018, 03:36 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: ✟PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM...! ✟

Is it necessary to pray all the Offices of the Hours...? I'm finding it difficult due to my irregular sleep pattern...

In order to fulfill the requirements for enrollment in the Scapular, technically you do, but, whilst it is preferable to say the Hours at their appointed time, it is acceptable to say them in groups, or even all at once straight through. I recite both the Roman Breviary and the Little Office, and, I too, have irregular sleeping habits. I usually say Matins and Lauds together, Prime a bit later, then Terce, Sext and None together, Vespers later, and Compline shortly before bed.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe
Could the Little Office be prayed in the vernacular instead of Latin if it is a private devotion...?
[Image: y4mYRN-ummmkmVnvHhXskhcmGwkdRP6s0fIGNOHH...pmode=none]
(01-30-2018, 03:36 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: ✟PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM...! ✟

Something I found helpful is anticipating Matins. I will say the next day’s Hour prior to Compline as per the instruction on the rubrics found on the Divinium website. 

Also for the poster asking about rubrics, standing for the Marian Anthem on Sunday (from what I can tell)means on Saturday’s Compline prior tothe day itself and on Sunday itself but I am open to correction.
(02-12-2018, 01:53 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: Could the Little Office be prayed in the vernacular instead of Latin if it is a private devotion...?

Yes. In fact, at least Carmelite Tertiaries well before the Council were allowed to recite the Little Office required by the Rule, in their vernacular.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

FishEaters Group on MeWe