I = 1
V = 5
X = 10
L = 50
C = 100
D = 500
M = 1000

The number 666 is made of the first 6 of those: DCLXVI

333 would be CCCIII; 555 would be DLV, etc. But 666 is all the numbers minus the M. And M, or 1000, symbolizes completion, fullness, and brings to mind "millennium" and the reign of Christ.

Thought that strange.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
Interesting idea but Apocalypse was written in Greek not Latin originally and the Greeks used a different system. 

There might be meaning behind the Greek letters used though.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
My understanding is that the Greek system was pretty much the Roman system but with different symbols to mark the numbers. They wrote their numbers using 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, etc. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attic_numerals
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
Hebrew also used letters as numbers, and 'Nron Qsr', נרון קסר, 'Nero Cæsar', is 666.

Interestingly, the Greek form of Jesus, Ἰησοῦς, is, using Greek numerals, 888, 8 being associated in Scripture with salvation and resurrection.
(11-22-2017, 08:29 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: My understanding is that the Greek system was pretty much the Roman system but with different symbols to mark the numbers. They wrote their numbers using 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, etc. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attic_numerals

The Numeral system used in the Bible is a different one more similar to Hebrew numerals than Roman eg. The first 9 letters mean 1-9, the next 9 mean 10-90, the next are 100-900, etc.

The number of the beast as written in Greek versions of Apocalypse is usually written as 
χξϛ.

I think the Attic numerals came later but maybe I'm wrong. 
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
(11-22-2017, 11:02 PM)Dominicus Wrote: I think the Attic numerals came later but maybe I'm wrong. 
The Attic numerals, according to linguistic analysis, are so old that Greek still had an 'h' sound. Hekaton for 100, instead of the later ekaton.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'