Time Between Pregnancies May Affect Autism Risk
Looks like "nature" wants women to breastfeed (which delays pregnancy) and get pregnant soon after weaning. From Science Magazine:

Investigators have found a link between the amount of time between pregnancies and Autism Spectrum Disorder in children. The findings are published in Autism Research.

Autism Spectrum Disorder was increased in second and later-born children who were conceived less than 18 months or 60 or more months after the mother's previous birth. Other developmental disabilities were not associated with birth spacing.

"These findings support existing guidelines on pregnancy spacing and further highlight the association between autism and pregnancy health," said lead author Dr. Laura Schieve, of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Couples thinking about getting pregnant should discuss pregnancy planning with a trusted doctor or healthcare provider."
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
(11-23-2017, 02:25 PM)VoxClamantis Wrote: Looks like "nature" wants women to breastfeed (which delays pregnancy) and get pregnant soon after weaning. From Science Magazine:

Investigators have found a link between the amount of time between pregnancies and Autism Spectrum Disorder in children. The findings are published in Autism Research.

Autism Spectrum Disorder was increased in second and later-born children who were conceived less than 18 months or 60 or more months after the mother's previous birth. Other developmental disabilities were not associated with birth spacing.

"These findings support existing guidelines on pregnancy spacing and further highlight the association between autism and pregnancy health," said lead author Dr. Laura Schieve, of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Couples thinking about getting pregnant should discuss pregnancy planning with a trusted doctor or healthcare provider."

Hi, 
I've been a CLC (lactation counselor), and exclusively breastfed my three babies, but it never worked as birth control. And my youngest has Autism (quite clearly a case of genetics) though there were only 34 months between conceptions. (Also happened to be using NFP when youngest was conceived, "positive" I wasn't fertile then.)  :s  So just...ladies, don't count on anything much, other than God's will in all   :stork: matters.  :shy:
You can definitely (ha, obviously, as you know) get pregnant while breastfeeding, but to not get pregnant, you have to breastfeed a lot -- like every couple of hours, around the clock. That way, it's as effective as The Pill. See http://www.parenting.com/article/ask-dr-...th-control

Takes some serious work, though -- whew!
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
Interesting. Our first born is the only one of four that is on the spectrum, with fairly severe ADHD. Of course, the others averaged 22 months between pregnancies.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(11-24-2017, 01:23 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: You can definitely (ha, obviously, as you know) get pregnant while breastfeeding, but to not get pregnant, you have to breastfeed a lot -- like every couple of hours, around the clock. That way, it's as effective as The Pill. See http://www.parenting.com/article/ask-dr-...th-control

Quote:but to not get pregnant, you have to breastfeed a lot -- like every couple of hours, around the clock. 

Hmmm...I wonder how that avoids pregnancy?   ;)
Unfortunately my cycles returned despite nursing my son on demand (every 1.5-2hrs round the clock) at 3 months post partum. However, we still didn't manage to conceive his younger sibling until 21 months post partum. Not sure if it's because I continued to nurse or because of previous infertility issues though. It will be interesting to see how this next babe turns out. Autism seems to run in my husband's family.
(11-24-2017, 03:15 AM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:
(11-24-2017, 01:23 AM)VoxClamantis Wrote: You can definitely (ha, obviously, as you know) get pregnant while breastfeeding, but to not get pregnant, you have to breastfeed a lot -- like every couple of hours, around the clock. That way, it's as effective as The Pill. See http://www.parenting.com/article/ask-dr-...th-control

Quote:but to not get pregnant, you have to breastfeed a lot -- like every couple of hours, around the clock. 

Hmmm...I wonder how that avoids pregnancy?   ;)

;) :P Touché. Much too tired to do anything else XD
[-] The following 1 user Likes Catherine's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
(11-24-2017, 03:19 AM)Catherine Wrote: Unfortunately my cycles returned despite nursing my son on demand (every 1.5-2hrs round the clock) at 3 months post partum. However, we still didn't manage to conceive his younger sibling until 21 months post partum. Not sure if it's because I continued to nurse or because of previous infertility issues though. It will be interesting to see how this next babe turns out. Autism seems to run in my husband's family.

Same here - my cycles always returned at 8 weeks pp, even though I was absolutely "tethered to the milking stall," as I used to call it... bf'ing on demand, cluster feeding like there was no tomorrow, milk supply that could've kept a small country's infant population alive, haha... etc. And my ASD baby continued to clusterfeed like a newborn for years, not being able to tolerate people food enough to sustain him (that was one of the many indications that something was amiss).