Do we commit a canonical crime by attending independent/sedevacantist Masses?
There's a priest that comes to my diocese every few months for Mass.

Is it a crime to attend these Masses?  He isn't SSPX -- hes more along the lines of SSPV or independent.  Im pretty siren he's also sedevacantist.
I'm probably not going to be much help because the only thing I know is that I know nothing. However, as you mentioned he's coming to your diocese, I'd assume he will be at a diocesean parish. If he was a sede, why would he want to go to a diocesean parish, and why would the bishop allow him to say Mass at a church in his diocese? With this info in mind, it seems illogical to assume he's a sede. 🤷‍♂️
   [Image: eS0ANTA.png]
(11-26-2017, 12:30 PM)Smiley Wrote: However, as you mentioned he's coming to your diocese, I'd assume he will be at a diocesean parish. 
An unlikely assumption since most 'independent Masses are offered in peoples' homes, hotel rooms, rented halls, etc,
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Smiley
(11-26-2017, 01:07 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(11-26-2017, 12:30 PM)Smiley Wrote: However, as you mentioned he's coming to your diocese, I'd assume he will be at a diocesean parish. 
An unlikely assumption since most 'independent Masses are offered in peoples' homes, hotel rooms, rented halls, etc,

Thanks for that! I didn't know that! As Proverbs says, "Iron sharpens iron; people sharpen one another..."  Idea

OP, please disregard my advice!
   [Image: eS0ANTA.png]
(11-26-2017, 11:59 AM)FultonFan Wrote: There's a priest that comes to my diocese every few months for Mass.

Is it a crime to attend these Masses?  He isn't SSPX -- hes more along the lines of SSPV or independent.  Im pretty siren he's also sedevacantist.

I’m not sure- you may or may not- would fall under a canonical crime simply by attending, but you would certainly be giving appearance of approval by attending. That is scandal, and can be seriously sinful. I wouldn’t go. If you go, which I strongly recommend you do not do, you should take care not to publicize your going. If you do go, you must not go to confession to him or receive communion. The confession would be invalid and the communion sacrilegious.
I am not suggesting he go, either, and I agree about going to confession, but how would the communion be sacrilegious if he were in a state of grace? If the priest is validly ordained, and fulfils  all the requirements for a valid Mass, I don't see how communion would be sacrilegious.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(11-26-2017, 02:01 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I am not suggesting he go, either, and I agree about going to confession, but how would the communion be sacrilegious if he were in a state of grace? If the priest is validly ordained, and fulfils  all the requirements for a valid Mass, I don't see how communion would be sacrilegious.

It would be illicitly celebrated, and quite possibly both celebrated and received in a state of mortal sin.
(11-26-2017, 01:10 PM)Smiley Wrote:
(11-26-2017, 01:07 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:

Thanks for that! I didn't know that! As Proverbs says, "Iron sharpens iron; people sharpen one another..."  Idea

OP, please disregard my advice!
This is what it was like in the old days, before SP, and still is for many independents.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(11-26-2017, 02:01 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I am not suggesting he go, either, and I agree about going to confession, but how would the communion be sacrilegious if he were in a state of grace? If the priest is validly ordained, and fulfils  all the requirements for a valid Mass, I don't see how communion would be sacrilegious.

Going to such a Mass would be completely unnecessary.  One's presence there would set a bad example, and risks persuading those of weaker faith who went there out of curiosity that it is OK to go to such and event and to then participate by receiving communion.  That is scandal.  Such a serious scandal risks being a mortal sin. Receiving communion in a state of mortal sin is a sacrilege.