Pope Seeks to Change the "Lord's Prayer"
Sorry, something went wrong with the quotes:

[quote pid='1358050' dateline='1512831563']
Trad Catholic27

We need to  remember that there is very little we can do about the Holy Father Francis since the Church is a monarchy established by Christ.

That doesn't mean that we have to agree with everything he does but we must always respect His Office

[/quote]

OK, this is off topic but here is where I get confused and start to lose it.  There are many references to the Church's structure as a Monarchy.  Perhaps it is.  But who exactly is the Monarch?

"He [Christ] is head of the body, the church." Col. 1:18

"I will (future tense) give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven."  Mat. 16:18 (When did this take place?  When did Jesus give those keys to Peter?  John 20:23?  Acts 2:4?)  

Many theologians believe that Christ's reference to the keys is to Isiah 22:22.  Isiah described the Lord's servant Eliakim who was to be a steward of the house of David.  But he was not the king or the monarch.  Moreover, Eliakim replaced an evil official, Shebna.  That analogy is somewhat uncomfortable to think that Peter is replacing Christ because Christ can't do the job.

Moreover, Christ said "My kingdom is not of this world."  Yet the Roman Church's teaching is that the Church is a spiritual kingdom and a temporal kingdom.  

Also, Christ says that the one who wants to be greatest should be the least.  That doesn't square with Bishops and Popes who live in palaces and have chauffeurs.  

So in all of these teachings, I don't see that Christ established a Monarchy except perhaps a Monarchy of which He alone is the King, and one which is not of this world.  That leaves Peter as a good steward - not a dictator.  Yet throughout history, we see the accretion of temporal power in the hands of the papacy to the point now, the Catechism boldly proclaims that the Pope (Vicar of Christ - which means literally "in the place of Christ") is the head of the universal church (CCC 883).  So which is the truth?  Col. 1:18 or CCC 883?  Who is the true head of the Church?  There seems to be a conflict.  I know some say that the Pope is just there because Christ is in heaven.  But Christ promised to be with us until the end of the world... "where two or three are gathered in my name".. etc.

Finally, CCC 882 states that the Pope has full, supreme and universal power over the whole Church and that the Pope is the "foundation of unity".  If that is true and it is also true that Christ is the head of the Church (as stated in Col. 1:18) then the plain teaching of the Roman Church is that the Pope has full, supreme and universal power over Christ because Christ is the head and thus also a part of the Church.  The whole Church means just that, the whole Church.  (Other paragraphs of the CCC talk about the Church Militant, Triumphant, Suffering but this specifically says the WHOLE Church.) Thus this teaching means that the Pope has authority over St. Peter himself and all the saints, even Mary.  That is where my mind can't go.  The Pope simply does not have authority over Christ, Mary and the Saints.

Then as I contemplate "foundation of unity" that is where I end up back in my Protestant days in my mind not being able to grasp that we are somehow called to be "one in the Pope" when scripture clearly states "we being many form one body in Christ" Rom. 12:5.  Are we one in the Pope or are we one in Christ? Is Christ our King or is the Pope our King?
Mater Dei, Ora pro nobis.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pope Seeks to Change the "Lord's Prayer" - by prostrateinawe - 12-09-2017, 03:20 PM