How does one reconcile differences of belief with their spouse?
In the experiences of other married persons here, how do you move forward when your spouse holds an opinion concerning the Church much different than your own? 

My wife is a gracious woman. She is kind to a fault, she prays frequently, she works at a Catholic school, she volunteers her time to charity and is greatly concerned for the less fortunate. She is devoted to Mary and serving the least among us. She has an enthusiasm for the work of the Church, which is contagious. She loves NFP and in our closed door relations, she is very open to the will of God and the transmission of life. In short, she is a wonderful wife and disciple of Our Lord. 

However, while I aspire to her level of devotion to following the example of Christ and His saints, we often disagree significantly on the direction toward which the Church is headed. The latest of such disagreements came as we were discussing some of the more gimmicky methods of "evangelization" present especially in non-diocesan Catholic high schools (like the one she works at). She doesn't seem to understand the deleterious effect heterodox teaching has on the faith, even if it inspires young people to be "good people". 

What to do? On the one hand, I feel like a hypocrite because my wife exemplifies Catholic teaching (piety, integrity, courage, charity, fear of the Lord, etc.) but on the other, she thinks I am simply being callous when I am only concerned with the preservation of the Church and our beautiful Catholic faith. I love the woman dearly, but sometimes her disunity with me and what I view as critical is extremely irritating. We are one flesh. While I am the head of the household, she is the heart. How might I better understand my wife?
Well ask yourself a simple question: Who better exemplifies the Lord, you, or your wife? Who follows the two Great Commandments of Love Thy Lord Thy God, and Love Thy Neighbor best? You, or your wife?

If the answer is your wife, then you should probably follow her and work yourself up to be as good a Christian as she is, before you start having disagreements with her views on the Church.

It sounds to me that you already hinted to this answer in that you said you "aspire to her level of devotion". My advice is forget any concerns you have, strive to reach her level of holiness and piety. Go to Adoration and before the Lord prostrate yourself before Him and give praise and thanks for such a blessing of a beautiful and wonderful, holy wife. Then go home to your lovely wife, embrace her, and tell her how thankful to God you are that you have her in your life and that you hope to be as good a Christian she is. Then live your faith and hold fast to the beauty of the Faith. Pray for her and yourselves, at some point she may see the superiority of Tradition over gimmicks, until then, Thank God the woman at least has a care to try and evangelize kids.
(12-08-2017, 05:11 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Well ask yourself a simple question:  Who better exemplifies the Lord, you, or your wife?  Who follows the two Great Commandments of Love Thy Lord Thy God, and Love Thy Neighbor best? You, or your wife?

But is one loving his neighbour if he tells him, for example, that it's just as good to be Protestant as Catholic, or that it's okay to keep fornicating or engaging in gay sex, or that anyone should be allowed to receive Communion?

He didn't specify what the specific issues they disagree on are, but "love of neighbour" isn't simply "being nice", or "feeding the homeless", as though the faith is solely about physical needs. It sounds like perhaps they can both learn from each other, but, especially if she's a teacher, performing works of charity but then teaching children things that may cause them to lose their faith isn't loving.
(12-08-2017, 06:54 PM)Paul Wrote:
(12-08-2017, 05:11 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Well ask yourself a simple question:  Who better exemplifies the Lord, you, or your wife?  Who follows the two Great Commandments of Love Thy Lord Thy God, and Love Thy Neighbor best? You, or your wife?

But is one loving his neighbour if he tells him, for example, that it's just as good to be Protestant as Catholic, or that it's okay to keep fornicating or engaging in gay sex, or that anyone should be allowed to receive Communion?

He didn't specify what the specific issues they disagree on are, but "love of neighbour" isn't simply "being nice", or "feeding the homeless", as though the faith is solely about physical needs. It sounds like perhaps they can both learn from each other, but, especially if she's a teacher, performing works of charity but then teaching children things that may cause them to lose their faith isn't loving.

Haha...kudos for knocking down a strawman, but that was not my point.

I think we can all presume his wife is not committing mortal sin like you have described, so lets put away the pitchforks and lets refrain from erecting strawmen.

It sounds to me the wife is simply trying to convert Catholics, but perhaps is going about it a different, less traditional way, which may breed what Trads see as "weak" Catholics. It's my presumption, but nonetheless if that is the case, in the words of Charles A Couloumbe "More converts, are a good thing."
Peace.....I know of teachers who transferred to other schools and Boards of Education when the curriculum had changed and they had no choice but to teach what they were told to teach.....others remained.  ??  I don't think there are any schools left teaching exactly what we feel they should or could.  This is why parents started home-schooling.  Pray for your wife and the school she works at, as well as for the children to be guided properly and grow into the faith in a strong committed way.  The Blessed Mother will watch over them!  God bless, angeltime :monstrance: :advent: