Catholicism and Zionism
[Image: latin_cross.png?v=5] PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM [Image: latin_cross.png?v=5]

I know that this is a controversial question that has been a rage since the past 70 years :

In the light of US President Donald Trump recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of the "State of Israel", what should be our perspective as Traditional Catholics towards Zionism and Israel as well as w.r.t. the ongoing Israel v/s Palestine + Arab League conflict...? There are some on other forums who say that we should - citing honouring Judeo-Christian unity and similarity in traditions and some who are against it for myriad reasons...

So, I would be all ears to know what should be our attitude in this regards... A holistic justification would be great...!

Thanks in advance...!  :)
[Image: y4mYRN-ummmkmVnvHhXskhcmGwkdRP6s0fIGNOHH...pmode=none]
(12-09-2017, 10:38 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: [Image: latin_cross.png?v=5] PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM [Image: latin_cross.png?v=5]

I know that this is a controversial question that has been a rage since the past 70 years :

In the light of US President Donald Trump recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of the "State of Israel", what should be our perspective as Traditional Catholics towards Zionism and Israel as well as w.r.t. the ongoing Israel v/s Palestine + Arab League conflict...? There are some on other forums who say that we should - citing honouring Judeo-Christian unity and similarity in traditions and some who are against it for myriad reasons...

So, I would be all ears to know what should be our attitude in this regards... A holistic justification would be great...!

In my opinion, and I believe it is in line with Catholic Teaching, is that Catholics are to reject Zionism. I reject Zionism in the same way I reject Caliphitism. Unless the state of Israel is to be a Catholic state with all Jews converting, I will not give my enthusiasm for Zionism. I am honestly indifferent to whether or not Jerusalem is the capital of Israel or not, I'd much prefer we were not so damned invested in that tiny nation.

However, Pope Francis has said that anti-Zionism is antisemitism, so make your own presumptions.
(12-09-2017, 10:52 AM)austenbosten Wrote:
(12-09-2017, 10:38 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote: [Image: latin_cross.png?v=5] PAX DOMINUS VOBISCUM [Image: latin_cross.png?v=5]

In my opinion, and I believe it is in line with Catholic Teaching, is that Catholics are to reject Zionism.  I reject Zionism in the same way I reject Caliphitism.  Unless the state of Israel is to be a Catholic state with all Jews converting, I will not give my enthusiasm for Zionism.  I am honestly indifferent to whether or not Jerusalem is the capital of Israel or not, I'd much prefer we were not so damned invested in that tiny nation.

However, Pope Francis has said that anti-Zionism is antisemitism, so make your own presumptions.

Oh, really...?  :huh:

But Pope Francis seems to be pro-Islam too...?
[Image: y4mYRN-ummmkmVnvHhXskhcmGwkdRP6s0fIGNOHH...pmode=none]
(12-09-2017, 10:58 AM)AndreasIosephus Wrote:
(12-09-2017, 10:52 AM)austenbosten Wrote:

In my opinion, and I believe it is in line with Catholic Teaching, is that Catholics are to reject Zionism.  I reject Zionism in the same way I reject Caliphitism.  Unless the state of Israel is to be a Catholic state with all Jews converting, I will not give my enthusiasm for Zionism.  I am honestly indifferent to whether or not Jerusalem is the capital of Israel or not, I'd much prefer we were not so damned invested in that tiny nation.

Oh, really...?  :huh:

But Pope Francis seems to be pro-Islam too...?

Yeah it seems he's pro-Everything. :eyeroll:
Pope St Pius X said this when asked his opinion on Zionism:

“We cannot give approval to this movement. We cannot prevent the Jews from going to Jerusalem—but we could never sanction it. The soil of Jerusalem, if it was not always sacred, has been sanctified by the life of Jesus Christ. As the head of the Church I cannot tell you anything different. The Jews have not recognized our Lord, therefore we cannot recognize the Jewish people.”
[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
  • BluegrassMTBer, jovan66102
                                               I'm really not making this up, but when I was in line to see the relics of St Maria Goretti a few yrs ago, I overheard a man telling a couple of older women, that he was pretty sure that the 3rd Secret of Fatima was that Israel would become a nation again.
(12-09-2017, 02:15 PM)Eric F Wrote:                                                I'm really not making this up, but when I was in line to see the relics of St Maria Goretti a few yrs ago, I overheard a man telling a couple of older women, that he was pretty sure that the 3rd Secret of Fatima was that Israel would become a nation again.

Kinda lame, considering that in the 1960s the Vatican sought to suppress the 3rd Secret, which would only reveal something already well established.