Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene
This is a great example of how simply departing from traditional forms can unnecessarily disturb or scandalize the faithful and give the wrong idea, even when the intentions can be good and when there is really nothing per se wrong with the new form.

In this case, Christ is in the center (it looks like the exact center of all the human figures).  Furthermore, according to the description of the General Judgment in Scripture, an important way we must serve Christ is through these works--and the necessity of these works was part of the New Law He came into this world to promulgate for our salvation.  I don't see anything per se wrong (not to mention sacrilegious) with their juxtaposition with the Nativity, but the novelty of it is jarring (and the context of the rest of the current pontificate also doesn't help!).
[Image: catherinesiena-1.jpg]
(12-15-2017, 08:34 AM)cassini Wrote:
(12-14-2017, 09:01 PM)Eric F Wrote: Disgusting ! The naked man actually look's more homo-erotic than starving, I mean seriously a naked man so weak from starving that he can't get up, but yet he has washboard abs ?

Well said Eric, if that guy is starving then maybe he is on a fast and they should leave him alone and stop stuffing him with the riches they enjoy in the Vatican these days. Their coffers must be bursting with the proceeds of church property and lands being sold off as redundant all over the world.

Of all the starving images I have seen over the years I have never seen one naked. It is an insult to the Holy Family and to the starving around the world.

The naked guy is depicting "clothe the naked," not "feed the hungry" act of corporal mercy. So there's that, I reckon...

SaintSebastian Wrote:This is a great example of how simply departing from traditional forms can unnecessarily disturb or scandalize the faithful and give the wrong idea, even when the intentions can be good and when there is really nothing per se wrong with the new form.

In this case, Christ is in the center (it looks like the exact center of all the human figures).  Furthermore, according to the description of the General Judgment in Scripture, an important way we must serve Christ is through these works--and the necessity of these works was part of the New Law He came into this world to promulgate for our salvation.  I don't see anything per se wrong (not to mention sacrilegious) with their juxtaposition with the Nativity, but the novelty of it is jarring (and the context of the rest of the current pontificate also doesn't help!).

The figurines of Holy Family may be at the center geometrically, but artistically they're barely there. It isn't that the acts of mercy are depicted (Italian creches have entire villages depicted sometimes), it's that thematically, artistically, visually, Christ is rendered unimportant. The scene doesn't make one think of the Nativity; it's a mess on many levels. I mean, for crying  out loud, even the THREE KINGS aren't focused on Christ; they're focused on naked guy.

And yeah, there's the departing from the traditional form for no good reason. Again. Gets old.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • Pulvis
In other news, here's some politicization of another Nativity scene in Italy. From Catholic Herald

Bishop condemns Nativity scene which replaces crib with rubber dinghy

An Italian bishop has clashed with the local mayor over a nativity scene which replaces the crib with a dinghy.

The mayor of Castenaso, Stefano Sermenghi, said he had made the change to draw attention to the migrant crisis.

But Bishop Ernesto Vecchi, an auxiliary bishop of the Diocese of Bologna, said that the use of the dinghy was a step too far. The crib, Bishop Vecchio told Il Resto di Carlino, is a sign of how Christ humbles Himself to die on the cross for us. Here the nativity scene must follow the Gospels “to the letter”.

Last year’s Vatican Nativity scene included a boat which represented the dangerous journeys of migrants crossing the Mediterranean.

But the Castenaso scene goes much further, depicting the Virgin Mary actually sitting, with Jesus in her arms, in the rubber boat, with St Joseph standing over them.

Bishop Vecchi said that the inclusion of a boat could be justified, but not in such a central role.

The bishop accepted that the change was well-intentioned, but said it distorted the meaning of Christmas, since “Jesus is the saviour for every problem, not just one.”

Quote:Gone unstated, of course, is the fact that there'd be no dangerous journeys on dinghies if people would stay the Hell home.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s
[-] The following 1 user Likes VoxClamantis's post:
  • Pulvis
What I'm finding quite surprising is the relative silence in the Catholic Press and the Catholic 'blogosphere' on this abomination. I follow The Remnant and a number of Traditional blogs, and with one exception, no one has mentioned it. The one Exception is Fr Ray Blake' Blog, and he's not nearly as upset as I thought he would be, or as I am. 

He does however have one trenchant remark, from another (unattributed) blog (my emphasis):

Quote:A more real concern, which one blogger highlighted was the 'clothing the naked' scene, he highlighted it with the caption, "I was at Cocco's (Cardinal Cocopalmero) place partying and the next thing I woke up here", The naked figure does indeed look more like someone from a gay gym or party, rather than an emaciated beggar forced to sell even his clothing, which is unfortunate in the Roman Church which is torn by gay scandals and homo-eroticism.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
Some art is not meant for children.
I honestly dont I've anything against the "clothe the naked" part. Medieval and rennaisance paintings portray practically everyone as being muscular and healthy, even poor starving people. And I have nothing against the inclusion of the works of mercy into the scene. What Infuriates me is that the works of mercy completely overshadow the nativity. Had I not read the article I wouldn't have even guessed that it was meant to portray the nativity. Some might say that Jesus is in the center but that doesn't matter if you can't even find Him among the rest of the chaos. The focus of this thing is clearly on the works of mercy, not on Mercy Himself.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
Vox, the scene has the three kings focused on Jesus. The camera  angle is deceptive and we are not shown the crib. Ok, it's ultra-realistic but remember they could move figurines and change it when Jesus arrives lol.
This nativity scene has added the corporal works of mecry. What about the spiritual works of mercy, are they not equally important? When will the spiritual works of mercy get some attention? Not just in the nativity scene by the church leaders, perhaps a sermon fom PF. 

Not holding my breath
"There are in truth three states of the converted: the beginning,  the middle and the perfection. In the beginning, they experience the charms of sweetness; in the middle, the contests of temptation; and in the end, the fullness of perfection."
-- Pope St. Gregory

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
-- attributed to Saint Domenic
[-] The following 1 user Likes CaptCrunch73's post:
  • OmniaInstaurareInChristo
(12-15-2017, 10:32 PM)CaptCrunch73 Wrote: This nativity scene has added the corporal works of mecry. What about the spiritual works of mercy, are they not equally important? When will the spiritual works of mercy get some attention? Not just in the nativity scene by the church leaders, perhaps a sermon fom PF. 

Not holding my breath

That's because he is a communist and not Catholic at all.  His goal is to remold the Church into a massive social work NGO.
[-] The following 2 users Like Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • cassini, jovan66102
(12-15-2017, 09:30 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: Some art is not meant for children.

I can just hear the little ones, "Mommy, that man is naked!"

Or someone asking, "Did you see the baby Jesus?" and Cindy Lou replying, "Yeah...and there was a naked man there too!"

I own nude art and appreciate the human body as beautiful in how it gives glory to God.

However, as scripture says, there is a time and a place for everything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacred Heart lover's post:
  • jovan66102