Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene
(12-18-2017, 01:40 AM)Florus Wrote: That icon is not of the life of Christ including the Nativity, it is the standard icon of the Nativity. Although some have more or less details.

I'm not saying the Vatican's current Nativity scene is ideal, but I'm just pointing out that its nudity (which I disagree with) is honestly tame when compared to ALOT of the baroque stuff in Rome. And the fact that it portrays many things other than the Nativity is not unprecedented in tradition, and it's certainly not sacrilegious.

See my original post about the nudity.

Re. your having said the following in response to my having said after you posted the icon graphic, "The icon shows scenes from the life of Christ, including the Nativity at the center":

Quote:That icon is not of the life of Christ including the Nativity, it is the standard icon of the Nativity. Although some have more or less details.

I'm not saying the Vatican's current Nativity scene is ideal, but I'm just pointing out that its nudity (which I disagree with) is honestly tame when compared to ALOT of the baroque stuff in Rome. And the fact that it portrays many things other than the Nativity is not unprecedented in tradition, and it's certainly not sacrilegious.

I was responding to your having earlier written:

Quote:It's not like every nativity scene has to only portray the nativity itself. In fact there is a long tradition of icons of the nativity showing a multitude of simultaneous events and people. Is this "sacrilegious" because it contains many things which could distract one from the birth of the Lord?? Of course not.

My take is that creches should be Christ-centered and, specifically, Nativity-centered. The icon is both; what's going on at the Vatican is neither.

It isn't sacrilegious to include St. Francises, kneeling Santas, or village people, depending on what those figures are shown to be doing (e.g., Santa and Francis are typically shown kneeling before the Christ Child, not shopping for Christmas presents or burying the dead while He lies a few feet away from them); it is sacrilegious and not very catechetical or traditional to not have the birth of Christ at the center of it, as the focus. That's the entire point of a creche, the very reason St. Francis came up with the idea.
T h e   D u d e t t e   A b i d e s

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - by VoxClamantis - 12-18-2017, 02:06 AM