Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene
(12-22-2017, 07:12 AM)cassini Wrote: This, as I said, is the hidden aspect of that obelisk.

You did say that. And while I disagree, I appreciate the discussion.

Quote:What you have said here Jeester opens up a bigger can of worms than the obelisk. If you want to continue let me know. I know of a pope who thinks it is all right to give Holy Communion to couples in adulterous unions.

Which pope would that be? ;) :rolleyes:

Quote: Popes have done and said a lot of things contrary to previous popes. In this case you say, as popes, philosophers and theologians have argued over the centuries, 'the idea that the sun is the center of the universe contradicts none of the fundamental tenets of the Faith.' I will let St Robert Bellarmine answer that:

Second. I say that, as you know, the Council of Trent prohibits expounding the Scriptures contrary to the common agreement of the holy Fathers. And if Your Reverence would read not only the Fathers but also the commentaries of modern writers on Genesis, Psalms, Ecclesiastes and Josue, you would find that all agree in explaining literally (ad litteram) that the sun is in the heavens and moves swiftly around the Earth, and that the Earth is far from the heavens and stands immobile in the centre of the universe. Now consider whether in all prudence the Church could encourage giving to Scripture a sense contrary to the holy Fathers and all the Latin and Greek commentators. Nor may it be answered that this is not a matter of faith, for if it is not a matter of faith from the point of view of the subject matter (ex parte objecti), it is a matter of faith on the part of the ones who have spoken (ex parte dicentis). It would be just as heretical to deny that Abraham had two sons and Jacob twelve, as it would be to deny the virgin birth of Christ, for both are declared by the Holy Ghost through the prophets and apostles.’

That obelisk in St Peter's Square further represents the heresy above.

St. Robert Bellarmine died almost 400 years ago. Think of all the advances that have been made in that time; antibiotics, not leeches, are used to treat illness, the internal combustion engine, flight, been to the moon, more advance telescopes and instruments. If it can be demonstrably proven that the sun is not the center of our galaxy, which may not be the center of the universe, this in no way contradicts God's existence, the Virgin Birth of Christ, or any other central matters of the Faith. No disrespect intended here, but I'd argue that continuing to insist on a geocentric universe in the presence of solid data is a bit conceited, almost like us humans are trying to tell God how He created things, when he gave us the intellect to learn some of how it happened.

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pope Francis's Sacrilegious Nativity Scene - by Jeeter - 12-22-2017, 07:35 AM