Questions about Eucharistic Ministers?
(12-23-2017, 11:57 PM)Poche Wrote: I think that rather than focusing on who the eucharistic 'minister' is that we should really focus on who it is that we are receiving.

Too bad a lot of (not-so)Extraordinaty Ministers of Holy Communion don't focus at all on Who they're ministering!
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • austenbosten
(12-24-2017, 12:15 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(12-23-2017, 11:57 PM)Poche Wrote: I think that rather than focusing on who the eucharistic 'minister' is that we should really focus on who it is that we are receiving.

Too bad a lot of (not-so)Extraordinaty Ministers of Holy Communion don't focus at all on Who they're ministering!

The problem is Poche is two things:

The term "Extraordinary" is pretty self-evident.  It is only to be used in extra-ordinary times, that is, not frequent.  The fact it is so frequently used, speaks volumes how this practice is grossly abused.

Ever noticed the majority of EMHCs are women?  Do you think that does not have serious implications? You think all the proponents for the impossible 'womyn prysts' didn't start out with the stance of "We read the Readings, We sing the Psalms, We ask the congregation for prayers, We distribute Communion...why not make us priests?"

Also sometimes it's hard to focus on who I am receiving if I am receiving it from a woman in a low-cut top and a mini-skirt. Not to mention parishes love to do assembly-line distribution of Holy Communion; so not really a whole lot of time to think on what Extraordinary Miracle is happening, before being shoved by the masses.
(12-24-2017, 08:46 AM)austenbosten Wrote: The problem is Poche is two things:

The term "Extraordinary" is pretty self-evident.  It is only to be used in extra-ordinary times, that is, not frequent.  The fact it is so frequently used, speaks volumes how this practice is grossly abused.

Ever noticed the majority of EMHCs are women?  Do you think that does not have serious implications? You think all the proponents for the impossible 'womyn prysts' didn't start out with the stance of "We read the Readings, We sing the Psalms, We ask the congregation for prayers, We distribute Communion...why not make us priests?"

Also sometimes it's hard to focus on who I am receiving if I am receiving it from a woman in a low-cut top and a mini-skirt. Not to mention parishes love to do assembly-line distribution of Holy Communion; so not really a whole lot of time to think on what Extraordinary Miracle is happening, before being shoved by the masses.

While I agree with your post generally, there is a misconception in it I'd like to clear up.

That would be the application of the "Extraordinary" part. The "Ordinary" of Ministers are those that are Clergy and Ordained. Extraordinary Ministers are "Extra" in that they are exceptional, as in outside the ordinary, not Ordained and not exclusively special in any other way. Sadly, many do make the impression of being very special, but personally, I think of it as privileged and with privilege comes humility and respect for the 'exclusivity' endowed. Too many act like some sort of 'groupie' and make it all about them and frequently dress in inappropriate attire. These are parts of the abuses and sadly they are becoming more common than less. Parish Priests need to grab hold of the reigns and reel them in to propriety. I hope that will become a trend soon.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis

Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners.
George Carlin

“In a time of deceit…truth is a revolutionary act”
George Orwell
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zedta's post:
  • austenbosten
(12-24-2017, 09:50 AM)Zedta Wrote:
(12-24-2017, 08:46 AM)austenbosten Wrote: The problem is Poche is two things:

While I agree with your post generally, there is a misconception in it I'd like to clear up.

That would be the application of the "Extraordinary" part. The "Ordinary" of Ministers are those that are Clergy and Ordained. Extraordinary Ministers are "Extra" in that they are exceptional, as in outside the ordinary, not Ordained and not exclusively special in any other way. Sadly, many do make the impression of being very special, but personally, I think of it as privileged and with privilege comes humility and respect for the 'exclusivity' endowed. Too many act like some sort of 'groupie' and make it all about them and frequently dress in inappropriate attire. These are parts of the abuses and sadly they are becoming more common than less. Parish Priests need to grab hold of the reigns and reel them in to propriety. I hope that will become a trend soon.

Well it's not a misconception I was trying to make. I thought I was very clear that EMHC were to be used infrequently and only if the crowds are so massive that it would take a long time for the priest to distribute Communion. But perhaps I could have re-worded it better.

Anyways, thanks for making it clearer Zedta. Merry Christmas!