Has Pope Francis lost jurisdiction?
I have yet another controversial question.  Has Pope Francis lost jurisdiction, since he elevated Communion for the divorced and remarried to the level of official Magisterium?  Even if he is still pope, does this action invalidate all of his further actions as pope thereafter, meaning that everything he does now is illicit?  This would be ironic if he calls the SSPX illicit, even though his actions are illicit themselves.
That is a very interesting question. I hope there are good answers. Fr. Hesse said he wasn't sure if infallibility of Popes was unconditional to their person.
(12-25-2017, 10:19 PM)AllSeasons Wrote: I have yet another controversial question.  Has Pope Francis lost jurisdiction, since he elevated Communion for the divorced and remarried to the level of official Magisterium?  Even if he is still pope, does this action invalidate all of his further actions as pope thereafter, meaning that everything he does now is illicit?  This would be ironic if he calls the SSPX illicit, even though his actions are illicit themselves.

No.

The Office of the Papacy is intimately and inextricably tied to universal and supreme jurisdiction.

That question is no different than asking if the Pope is no longer the Pope.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102
We're heading into uncharted territory which the church has never entered before. If an acting Pope openly denies Christ and we still insist that he remains the head of the church, as much as I hate to say it, I'd have to agree at that point with those Protestants who say we put the Pope above Jesus. Bergoglio is already telling people it's ok to commit mortal sin and endanger their souls. We need to seriously consider the magnitude of that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Eric F's post:
  • Knight Hospitaller, kunoichi
This is not specifically directed to the OP, but to those (myself included) who may tend to spend inordinate amounts of time speculating on these questions. 

Unless you are a Cardinal or a Bishop, I am sure that when you  die, God will not judge you on whether or not you were theologially educated and astute enough to judge the precise status of the Pope or his teachings at any given moment in time. Thus, until these sorts of theories begin to receive credence from members of the Church's hierarchy, it would seem more profitable to put aside these speculations, and to spend the time on more spiritually worthwhile pursuits. 

Just my 2 cents.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dave01's post:
  • kunoichi, MagisterMusicae
(12-26-2017, 09:05 AM)Eric F Wrote: We're heading into uncharted territory which the church has never entered before. 

I think we are already there, and have been there some time now.  

Francis is just the open face of the revolution of Vatican II, without the conservative veneer of JPII and Benedict XVI.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BC's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
Father Kramer mentioned something about Pope Francis referring to our mother goddess.

I can't find a reference to this.

Has anyone heard him say this?
(12-26-2017, 09:05 AM)Eric F Wrote: We're heading into uncharted territory which the church has never entered before. If an acting Pope openly denies Christ and we still insist that he remains the head of the church, as much as I hate to say it, I'd have to agree at that point with those Protestants who say we put the Pope above Jesus. Bergoglio is already telling people it's ok to commit mortal sin and endanger their souls. We need to seriously consider the magnitude of that.

And perhaps there is some truth their claims that Catholics in the last hundred years or more have been a bit too much unreserved Ultramontanists. It worked well when the Pope was a bastion of orthodoxy, but when the Popes themselves were no longer clearly so, perhaps it's clear we need to have a more refined (and more realistic and traditional) understanding of the Papal Office.

The Correctio Fillialis de Haeresibus Propogatus even referenced the similar correction issued to Pope John XXII over his error with regard to the Beatific Vision (which his successor condemned as outright heresy), yet no one suggested he was not Pope, or somehow lost the authority of Pope because of his material heresy, even after his correction by theologians.

The territory is perhaps uncharted in its material, but the principles of the History and the Faith do still work.

Too often, however, I think we feel the need to find a solution to this problem we see, when it's not really our job to do so. Our job is to learn, believe and practice the Faith and by that to stay in the State of Grace and grow in Virtue, and help others to obtain or stay in that State of Grace and grow in virtue. 

That's the only bit that will matter when our Judgement comes. As St. John of the Cross said, "In the evening of our life we will be judged on Charity." I think today he would have added, "not which man is Pope or how to to fix this grave crisis." 

Fix the crisis in your Faith, help others to do the same for themselves, and that will fix the Church, little by little.
[-] The following 2 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • Florus, jovan66102
(12-26-2017, 05:46 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: Father Kramer mentioned something about Pope Francis referring to our mother goddess.

I can't find a reference to this.

Has anyone heard him say this?

Why does it matter?
[-] The following 3 users Like MagisterMusicae's post:
  • austenbosten, Florus, jovan66102
From the Code of Canon Law;

THE ROMAN PONTIFF
Can. 331 The bishop of the Roman Church, in whom continues the office given by the Lord uniquely to Peter, the first of the Apostles, and to be transmitted to his successors, is the head of the college of bishops, the Vicar of Christ, and the pastor of the universal Church on earth. By virtue of his office he possesses supreme, full, immediate, and universal ordinary power in the Church, which he is always able to exercise freely.
Can. 332 §1. The Roman Pontiff obtains full and supreme power in the Church by his acceptance of legitimate election together with episcopal consecration. Therefore, a person elected to the supreme pontificate who is marked with episcopal character obtains this power from the moment of acceptance. If the person elected lacks episcopal character, however, he is to be ordained a bishop immediately.
§2. If it happens that the Roman Pontiff resigns his office, it is required for validity that the resignation is made freely and properly manifested but not that it is accepted by anyone.
Can. 333 §1. By virtue of his office, the Roman Pontiff not only possesses power offer the universal Church but also obtains the primacy of ordinary power offer all particular churches and groups of them. Moreover, this primacy strengthens and protects the proper, ordinary, and immediate power which bishops possess in the particular churches entrusted to their care.
§2. In fulfilling the office of supreme pastor of the Church, the Roman Pontiff is always joined in communion with the other bishops and with the universal Church. He nevertheless has the right, according to the needs of the Church, to determine the manner, whether personal or collegial, of exercising this office.
§3. No appeal or recourse is permitted against a sentence or decree of the Roman Pontiff.
Can. 334 Bishops assist the Roman Pontiff in exercising his office. They are able to render him cooperative assistance in various ways, among which is the synod of bishops. The cardinals also assist him, as do other persons and various institutes according to the needs of the times. In his name and by his authority, all these persons and institutes fulfill the function entrusted to them for the good of all the churches, according to the norms defined by law.
Can. 335 When the Roman See is vacant or entirely impeded, nothing is to be altered in the governance of the universal Church; the special laws issued for these circumstances, however, are to be observed.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P16.HTM