Photos of the spherical earth from space vehicles we have launched into space
I don't know what to believe.

This video brings up some convincing arguments about satellites.  ::shrug::

(12-30-2017, 01:39 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: I don't know what to believe.

Sacred Heart Lover, are you really a round earth skeptic?  (not to be confused with membership in the Flat Earth Societies within the Geoscience community that exist for after work drinking)
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
(12-30-2017, 03:11 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote:

Sacred Heart Lover, are you really a round earth skeptic?  (not to be confused with membership in the Flat Earth Societies within the Geoscience community that exist for after work drinking)

No.  I haven't really looked into that and I'm not really interested in it too much.

I am a NASA skeptic, however.

Are NASA skeptics allowed in the drinking club?  :shy:
(12-30-2017, 03:27 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 03:11 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote:

No.  I haven't really looked into that and I'm not really interested in it too much.

I am a NASA skeptic, however.

Are NASA skeptics allowed in the drinking club?  :shy:

Our Flat Earth Society has shown themselves to be inclusive drinkers, we even let the bean counters in.
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Tax Collector's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover

What was there in that video to believe? It is so full of misconceptions and falsity that I have to agree with him at the end: "Come on, You're welcome to keep believing cartoons [like his] or your God Given eyes if you want..."

Dish Network et all is actually how one can prove they aim at satellites. There are a handful of them at different arcs across the sky and they are at the equator, because the equator is not influenced by the seasonal tilt of the earth. The satellites that are closer to the earth have to orbit at faster speeds to counter act the higher influences of earth's gravity on them the closer in to earth's surface you are. Centrifugal force keeps them from falling back to earth. Some do fall back when they slow down, as centrifugal force lessens, and are pulled back down. ( If you have a ball on a string and you spin it around you, it stays out as long as you spin it fast enough for the centrifugal force to keep the ball in the air and not fall down. The force can be felt by the pull on the string. If you slow your spin, the ball falls down...as an example.) The area where the geosynchronous orbits are is at a neutral gravitational zone to the mass of the object in orbit. They move along with the earth, because there is no air out there to cause them to be misdirected and they are caught up in the earth's gravity well, hence they go no farther away, nor come in any closer. This has taken quite some time to master for those who launch satellites, since powerful enough rockets and automatic systems had to be developed.

The guy that produced this video sounds like he dropped out of some government sponsered grade school and never even attended high school, or probably was too stoned in class to absorb the basics of scientific principles.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis
(12-30-2017, 03:39 PM)Zedta Wrote:

What was there in that video to believe? It is so full of misconceptions and falsity that I have to agree with him at the end: "Come on, You're welcome to keep believing cartoons [like his] or your God Given eyes if you want..."

Dish Network et all is actually how one can prove they aim at satellites. There are a handful of them at different arcs across the sky and they are at the equator, because the equator is not influenced by the seasonal tilt of the earth. The satellites that are closer to the earth have to orbit at faster speeds to counter act the higher influences of earth's gravity on them the closer in to earth's surface you are. Centrifugal force keeps them from falling back to earth. Some do fall back when they slow down, as centrifugal force lessens, and are pulled back down. ( If you have a ball on a string and you spin it around you, it stays out as long as you spin it fast enough for the centrifugal force to keep the ball in the air and not fall down. The force can be felt by the pull on the string. If you slow your spin, the ball falls down...as an example.) The area where the geosynchronous orbits are is at a neutral gravitational zone to the mass of the object in orbit. They move along with the earth, because there is no air out there to cause them to be misdirected and they are caught up in the earth's gravity well, hence they go no farther away, nor come in any closer. This has taken quite some time to master for those who launch satellites, since powerful enough rockets and automatic systems had to be developed.

The guy that produced this video sounds like he dropped out of some government sponsered grade school and never even attended high school, or probably was too stoned in class to absorb the basics of scientific principles.

Okay, that sounds good.

What about when the satellite is on the other side of the earth?

Also, what about the radiation burning up the satellite?
(12-30-2017, 03:48 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote:
(12-30-2017, 03:39 PM)Zedta Wrote:

Okay, that sounds good.

What about when the satellite is on the other side of the earth?

Satellites are constructed with reflective materials as a first measure, and any heat that is absorbed is just as quickly radiated into the surrounding space via radiated equilibrium temperature.

Some services that require continuous satellite coverage of a point on the earth are generally installed as networks.  Take the GPS network, you need to have line of sight to a minimum of four satellites at any given time to resolve an accurate position, so the GPS constellations consists of 32 satellites (I think 32... I'm not fact checking) to ensure global coverage is maintained.  So when one satellite moves off of the horizon, another is generally moving on to replace it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Tax Collector's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
(12-30-2017, 03:48 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: What about when the satellite is on the other side of the earth?

If you are asking about 'geosynchronous orbiting' satellites, they are in a geosynchronous orbit:

[Image: 290px-Geosynchronous_orbit.gif]

They orbit around the earth at the same relative speed as the earth's turning, so they are 'stationary' in the sky relative to any point on the earth. That is why we can find it at any time in the same place in the sky. Those in this orbit, but on the other side of the earth are always not visible to us on this side and vise versa.

Quote:Sacred Heart lover

Not all radiation is heat.

The Van Allen Belts (there are 2 and maybe 3 of the) are electromagnetic in nature and vary greatly in density and distance from the earth as well as intensity of their radiations:

From Wikipedia
[/url]
Quote:
[Image: 250px-Comparison_satellite_navigation_orbits.svg.png]

Spacecraft travelling beyond [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Earth_orbit]low Earth orbit
enter the zone of radiation of the Van Allen belts. Beyond the belts, they face additional hazards from cosmic rays and solar particle events. A region between the inner and outer Van Allen belts lies at two to four Earth radii and is sometimes referred to as the "safe zone".[27][28]
Solar cells, integrated circuits, and sensors can be damaged by radiation. Geomagnetic storms occasionally damage electronic components on spacecraft. Miniaturization and digitization of electronics and logic circuits have made satellites more vulnerable to radiation, as the total electric charge in these circuits is now small enough so as to be comparable with the charge of incoming ions. Electronics on satellites must be hardened against radiation to operate reliably. The Hubble Space Telescope, among other satellites, often has its sensors turned off when passing through regions of intense radiation.[29] A satellite shielded by 3 mm of aluminium in an elliptic orbit (200 by 20,000 miles (320 by 32,190 km)) passing the radiation belts will receive about 2,500 rem (25 Sv) per year (for comparison, a full-body dose of 5 Sv is deadly). Almost all radiation will be received while passing the inner belt.[30]
The Apollo missions marked the first event where humans traveled through the Van Allen belts, which was one of several radiation hazards known by mission planners.[31] The astronauts had low exposure in the Van Allen belts due to the short period of time spent flying through them. Apollo flight trajectories bypassed the inner belts completely, and only passed through the thinner areas of the outer belts.[25][32]
Astronauts' overall exposure was actually dominated by solar particles once outside Earth's magnetic field. The total radiation received by the astronauts varied from mission to mission but was measured to be between 0.16 and 1.14 rads (1.6 and 11.4 mGy), much less than the standard of 5 rem (50 mSv) per year set by the United States Atomic Energy Commission for people who work with radioactivity.[31]

Getting through these belts and scads of other concerns were why there were delays during the countdowns of these Lunar Missions.

I hope this helps.

Oh, BTW: I am a HAM radio Operator and I can send signals up to the satellites and only need small energy output, 25 watts or so, to reach them. Line of sight communication doesn't require much power to accomplish.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out
Art Bell

I don't need a good memory, because I always tell the truth.
Jessie Ventura

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain

If history doesn't repeat itself, it sure does rhyme.
Mark Twain

You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis
I was a SATCOM technician in the Army and later installed services for Direct TV. If satellites aren't real, I guess all those signals were coming from our secret base in Antarctica where Hitler and Elvis are hanging out together.
"Those who are seeking the true religion will never find it outside the Catholic Church alone, because, in every other religion, if they trace it up to the author, they will find some impostor whose imagination furnished a mass of sophisms and errors." -St. Alphonsus Liguori

"I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation." - Pope St. Pius X

[-] The following 3 users Like BluegrassMTBer's post:
  • Jeeter, The Tax Collector, Zedta
(12-31-2017, 12:04 AM)BluegrassMTBer Wrote: I was a SATCOM technician in the Army and later installed services for Direct TV. If satellites aren't real, I guess all those signals were coming from our secret base in Antarctica where Hitler and Elvis are hanging out together.

Where you say the signals are coming from makes perfect sense, but I thought it was Jerry Garcia and Curly Howard hangin out together (my favorite of the Stooges). :D
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden