The Angel of the LORD, OK speculation? Or Protestant invention?
A lot of Protestants claim that The Angel of the LORD in the Old Testament is the pre-incarnate God the Son due to the fact he speaks as though he is God and does and receives various performances that allegedly, only God can do or receive. However, both the footnotes in my Douay-Rheims and various comments I've heard from other Catholics, say that this angel is merely an angel that has God's Spirit in him. On top of that, it's a well known that in ancient times when a text would record a servant or ambassador speaking on behalf of a king or sovereign, that text would impute the words and deeds of the king onto that of his servant or ambassador.

So is it a legitimate speculation to consider if this Angel of the Lord is the pre-incarnate God the Son? Or is this just a Protestant Eisigesis?
[Image: Blessed_Virgin_Mary_Holding_Jesus_with_S...abriel.jpg]
Glory to God
and
Hail Mary!
I’ve heard this claim you mentioned before. It sounds like those who make it are downplaying or denying the supernaturality of Christianity. Doesn’t the Church teach that angels are God’s messengers?
Well for Catholics it doesn't really matter, protestants like to argue over things like this. Angels only do the will of God so an angel speaking in His Name has the same effect as He speaking Himself, in fact its impossible to distinguish the two without some revelation. I am of the opinion that prior to the incarnation and after the fall God only interacted through messengers but all these angels merely prefigure the one Angel who He was to send, His Son, the very Word of God.

There are moments in which God more explicitly signified His Trinity, for example when the three angels appeared to Abraham and Lot, its not quite made clear if they were angels or God Himself. The same with the angel who wrestled with Jakob, one says its an angel, another God Himself.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
(12-31-2017, 09:44 PM)MaryLover Wrote: A lot of Protestants claim that The Angel of the LORD in the Old Testament is the pre-incarnate God the Son due to the fact he speaks as though he is God and does and receives various performances that allegedly, only God can do or receive. However, both the footnotes in my Douay-Rheims and various comments I've heard from other Catholics, say that this angel is merely an angel that has God's Spirit in him. On top of that, it's a well known that in ancient times when a text would record a servant or ambassador speaking on behalf of a king or sovereign, that text would impute the words and deeds of the king onto that of his servant or ambassador.

So is it a legitimate speculation to consider if this Angel of the Lord is the pre-incarnate God the Son? Or is this just a Protestant Eisigesis?

Which angel is this. What passages?
However, that sort of interpretation is not necessarily protestant. St. Irenaeus in his Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching identifies a number times in the OT where the pre-incarnate Christ appears as a sign of things to come. An example is when the scriptures say the God walked in the garden of Eden. St. Irenaeus also identifies one of the men who appeared to Abraham with Christ, unlike later interpreters who take it as a showing of the Blessed Trinity.
I thought it was St. Michael
Calling the Second Person of the Trinity an Angel, which is a creature which is created, sounds like blasphemy to me. But then, Protestants are rarely concerned with Blasphemy or Calumny or Simony or any such things.
"Punishment is justice for the unjust." Saint Augustine of Hippo