Hello everyone, and peace be with you.
Just registered, I came by this place via Roger Bucks YouTube channel. ( Thank you Roger for your videos, and recommendation. )

Baptised a Catholic at birth, then dropped away from faith in college, and have been on a bit of journey since then eventually leading back to the Catholic Church. I will summarize briefly that journey below.

Years 0 - 5: Lost any connection to Catholic faith I had. Lot's of drinking, partying and taking psychedelic drugs.

Years 4 - 6: Behavior the same. Interest in spiritual things beginning to occur to me, due to I suppose, some strange experiences, the introspective effect of psychedelic drugs, the dead end of drinking, and no doubt the Lord pulling on my heart. Look towards Eastern spirituality for answers.

Years 5 - 8: Behavior the same. Sincere and invested interest in Advaita-Vedanta occurs ( Still very interested in it, but appears to be lessening as the years go on. )
The culmination of this era can be summed up and understood ( if anyone is interested or has the time ) by watching this video: .

I still find this kind of self inquiry / non-dualism fascinating - the fact that there is this 'I' knowing, in whose presence all arises, thoughts, feelings, body, mind, world, the sense of 'being', 'existing', all of which it, is not - can this one be known?

I also find traces of it in Catholicism, in St. Francis 'The One you are looking for is the One who is looking', in Meister Eckhart 'The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.' and most recently which really knocked my socks of, when reading St. Augustine's ' Confessions'. There is a passage where St Augustine is regressing back into his self and moving past his faculties going passed intellect, and so on, and arrives at a kind of vision of God - I thought to myself, he just did exactly what Advaita-Vedanta would call 'self inquiry' - he then goes on to say, fascinatingly, that he was not able to sustain this experience, or stay in this place, and say's that Jesus Christ - being truly Man and God, can occupy this place - and in Him then, us too. At least this was my understanding of that passage. I must dig it out.

A lot of my posts here most likely will be about what I've discovered while researching Advaita-Vedanta, and its relationship with the Catholic Church, and faith. For example, the differences/similarities of the non-dual union with Jesus and His Father, and Jesus and us ( Gospel of John ) and the non-dual state of existence in the Easts understanding of liberation.. or in other words Salvation (Union) vs Liberation.

Years 8 - 9: Behavior the same, but beginning to change. Lot's of strange experiences in Vancouver Canada. Saw a UFO while taking a very low dose of magic mushrooms ( People will claim 'It was just the mushrooms', but that is not a sufficient explanation. I have taken a lot of psychedelics - I was on a very low dose this time, and what I saw was very close, very distinct, i.e it was definitely an object 'out there'. Now I am totally open to the possibility that psychedelics allow us to see things that are not usually there, or that when taking them you come in contact with other realities. Just before I saw the UFO, I had a very deep, and what I would call religious experience, where I felt an overwhelming sense of peace, love, and a deep deep deep gratitude to God, and all that existed - it was bodily, and consciousness expanding. Just after that I had this desire to lie down on a brick wall, and look into the sky ( something I had wanted to do earlier but couldn't because of there being so many people around, and that is when I saw the UFO ).
Strange experiences and some visions continue to happen, most of which were positive, and liberating.

Years 9 - 10: Return to Ireland, experiences stop occurring, I'm in a bit of a strange place now, a strong desire in me has come to stop drinking and taking drugs, and get healthy - however old habits die hard.
I come across the book 'Meditations on the Tarot' which basically tells my heart what it's wanting to hear, that Jesus Christ is Lord, and the Catholic Church really is His Mystical Body continuing throughout space and time.

Years 10 - Current: Return fully to the faith, going to confession for the first time in 15+ years, falling more in love with God day by day. Glory be to God.

I still have a very large interest in what I learnt from Advaita-Vedanta and I am interested in people like Fr. Abhishiktananda and Fr. Bede Griffiths, also have lot's of questions about my experiences, that I don't think i'll understand this side of the veil.

Mostly I am overjoyed with finding my home in the Catholic Church, I had some questions and concerns about  Catholic Church vs Orthodox, and the Vatican 2 - however I am very happy and comfortable with the Catholic Church, and accepting Vatican 2. I attended a Benedictine Abbey for secondary school, and they have always had the most wonderful liturgy - anytime I attend their mass these days, I am filled with joy.

There was something that Adviata-Vedanta could not address, and I think ultimately it was this desire for relationship, and union with the one who Created me, and as it turns out ultimately saved me.. My heart was restless..

That’s it really, I hope to post here a bit, and respond to posts, so nice to meet you all.

God bless.
Tip o' the hat Welcome to the Tank! Enjoy your swim.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

Welcome aboard! Hi!
Welcome and may God bless you on your journey.

I'm curious about the book on the tarot.  I thought those were forbidden to Catholics.

How did the book lead you to Jesus?
Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist. 
The demons of the air together with the Antichrist will perform great wonders  
The Church will be in eclipse

-Our Lady of La Salette

Like Christ, His Bride the Church will undergo its own passion, burial, and resurrection.
-unknown traditional priest

Father Ripperger said that if we are detached from all things, aren't afraid to suffer, and we accept all suffering as the will of God for our sanctity, we have nothing to fear!
(01-03-2018, 07:40 PM)Sacred Heart lover Wrote: I'm curious about the book on the tarot.  I thought those were forbidden to Catholics.

How did the book lead you to Jesus?
If it's 'Meditations on the Tarot' by Valentin Arnoldevitch Tomberg, it is also the book that helped lead Roger Buck to Traditionalism, and which he discusses at length in Cor Jesu Sacratissimum.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

Hi all, and many thanks for the welcomes.

Hey, Sacred Heart Lover, yup Jovan is correct, it is the Meditation on the tarot that Roger Buck has spoken about at his website.

It led me back to Jesus because it showed me that the Catholic Church is really the Body of Christ continuing throughout space and time, and that the sacraments were the absolute source of all the true spiritual things I was searching for. It showed me that Jesus Christ was and is the unique and full revelation of the One True God. I knew after reading it that it was Jesus Christ Himself that I was missing from my search. 

The book helps people who have gotten lost in the maze of eastern religion and philosophy because they felt that their Catholic faith was lacking a deep spiritual dimension, recognize that it does in fact have a deep spiritual dimension, and not only that, but that the Catholic faith is the actual true order of all things supernatural and spiritual.

Here is a review of the book by one of my favourite Catholic authors of more recent times, Stratford Caldecott. 

http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2..._apr07.asp

Any other questions, about my journal I'd be happy to answer Smile

Sacred Heart love
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sephero's post:
  • Sacred Heart lover
Sephero that is fascinating! I'm new here too. When I was a teenager and into adulthood I was lost in that maze too. I became a Catholic in 2014 though.

I'd like to share with you that I was researching Anandamayi Ma when I came across the information that led to my conversion.
I was initiated as an Ananda Marga yogi by Baba himself. Does that count? Big Grin

St Bernard of Clairvaux

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Edward89
(01-09-2018, 01:47 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I was initiated as an Ananda Marga yogi by Baba himself. Does that count? Big Grin

Wow! Indeed! Big Grin
Jesu ne permittas me seperari a te

Hey Edward!

Nice to hear from a a fellow traveler. Smile

What was the information? I'm always delighted to read such material.