Men, How did you feel the moment you saw your first child?
Something I have been thinking about?  What was the feeling you had holding your firstborn?
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
Absolute awe! In those days they didn't want the father present, but my firstborn was still more awesome (word used correctly!) than those for whom I cut the cord and rubbed.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(01-03-2018, 11:19 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: Something I have been thinking about?  What was the feeling you had holding your firstborn?

Terrified, and like a fish out of water. Unfortunately I was so self absorbed with how I was going to deal with this that I lost focus on the here and now reality of holding a life that I helped create, and that I would be held accountable for by god. Don’t let that be you, because you never get that moment back.
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  Matthew 9:10-14
(01-03-2018, 01:50 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 11:19 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: Something I have been thinking about?  What was the feeling you had holding your firstborn?

Terrified, and like a fish out of water. Unfortunately I was so self absorbed with how I was going to deal with this that I lost focus on the here and now reality of holding a life that I helped create, and that I would be held accountable for by god. Don’t let that be you, because you never get that moment back.

I relate completely. 

I was a nervous wreck for the months leading up to the birth.  I remember feeling like I was in way over my head.

But having a child is truly the best experience ever.

Don't worry about making sure you "feel" a certain way on the day of the delivery.  Just let all that pressure dissolve.  Just commit yourself entirely to God's will, and welcome your baby into the world as a unique soul that's been created by God.
Quote:Absolute awe! In those days they didn't want the father present, but my firstborn was still more awesome (word used correctly!) than those for whom I cut the cord and rubbed.

Why would they not let the father be present?  They'll have hell to pay if they are going to keep me away from my wife while she's giving birth!  

But the awe is something I was told I would feel.  I guess it is just something you have to experience.

Quote:Terrified, and like a fish out of water.

I can understand the terror.  I am honestly just horrified I would hurt him (presuming he is a boy)  I haven't held many newborns... Is this just something that come naturally?
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
(01-03-2018, 03:02 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote:
Quote:Absolute awe! In those days they didn't want the father present, but my firstborn was still more awesome (word used correctly!) than those for whom I cut the cord and rubbed.

Why would they not let the father be present?  They'll have hell to pay if they are going to keep me away from my wife while she's giving birth!  

But the awe is something I was told I would feel.  I guess it is just something you have to experience.

I can understand the terror.  I am honestly just horrified I would hurt him (presuming he is a boy)  I haven't held many newborns... Is this just something that come naturally?

I suspect jovan is probably in the 60-70 age range. Back then the man just sat in the waiting room or doing something else.  Not like today at all!

As for holding the baby: yes, you'll be fine. You'll be nervous first, but it's a joke.  If you can operate a computer and navigate a message board, you can hold a baby.  Try holding your pillow as you would a baby.  Here, try now: Take your left arm and imagine you've got your arm around someone really skinny.  Now put your right hand palm-up underneath your arm.  Tah-dah!  You can hold a baby.
(01-03-2018, 03:36 PM)FultonFan Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 03:02 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote:

I suspect jovan is probably in the 60-70 age range. Back then the man just sat in the waiting room or doing something else.  Not like today at all!

As for holding the baby: yes, you'll be fine. You'll be nervous first, but it's a joke.  If you can operate a computer and navigate a message board, you can hold a baby.  Try holding your pillow as you would a baby.  Here, try now: Take your left arm and imagine you've got your arm around someone really skinny.  Now put your right hand palm-up underneath your arm.  Tah-dah!  You can hold a baby.
I'm 70 and my eldest will be 45 this year. In those days there would have indeed been hell to pay, like 30 days in jail, unless I punched someone in which case the sentence would have been longer, had I tried to be present. Luckily, by the time the second came along nine years later, attitudes had changed.

And, FF, few expectant fathers 'sat in the waiting room'! Pacing, and smoking too many cigarettes is more like it! And, yes, in those days you could still smoke in the waiting room! LOL

St Bernard of Clairvaux

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • The Tax Collector
Holding my first was a truly beautiful, yet terrifying moment.  Beautiful, because I was holding my own child (that feeling was the same for all my subsequent children, btw).  Yet terrifying because I was holding this tiny, delicate beautiful baby that couldn't hold her own head up, so I was scared I'd drop her or let her head flop.  Needless to say, that didn't happen! Big Grin

As far as practicing, go with the pillow method Justin Alphonsus mentioned, or a football wrapped in a blanket.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
I have to agree with the other guys, here. It was a wonderful moment, when they handed my eldest to me, and I was amazed at the little guy. That was over 31 years ago. Time flies. By the time of the arrival of our other boy eleven years ago, we felt like such old hands, both of us. But it was just as magic to hold him, and still is to this day.  Big Grin
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.
(01-05-2018, 05:20 PM)dahveed Wrote: I have to agree with the other guys, here. It was a wonderful moment, when they handed my eldest to me, and I was amazed at the little guy. That was over 31 years ago. Time flies. By the time of the arrival of our other boy eleven years ago, we felt like such old hands, both of us. But it was just as magic to hold him, and still is to this day.  Big Grin

Well, my last one came 30 years ago today, and it was just as awe inspiring as the first.

St Bernard of Clairvaux