Attention-Deficit And Autism
(01-04-2018, 12:24 PM)GangGreen Wrote: My wife has done a good amount of research on ADHD (her dissertation was on the topic). I can't remember a lot of the stuff she's told me :angel: , but the vast majority of ADHD kids grow out of it by the time they reach adulthood. Unfortunately, the major issue is that it impacts their education when they're younger, they tend to be very disruptive in the classroom and perform poorly on testing. Most ADHD kids also have working memory issues. 

Yep, my middle boy (10) is like that. He was diagnosed with severe ADHD and some writing issue I can't remember the name of; basically it's like there's no switch between his brain and hand. So he could see "cat" on the board, read "cat", spell "C-A-T", but would sit blankly for 10 minutes before he could write the word. Thankfully, he seems to have outgrown that part. Anyways, it's always been difficult for him to sit still and focus, so he falls behind, so the work progresses, so he falls behind more, etc. Plus he's super-competitive, so in his mind, if he couldn't do it as well as his classmates, then he just wasn't going to do it. We've moved him around with different teachers, taken him for counseling and occupational therapy, and finally tried Ritalin. I hated to do it, but we'd exhausted all options. Long story short, he was on Ritalin for 8-9 months, and we've been able to wean him off it, while maintaining a good classroom performance.

Quote:My personal opinion is that a lot of the hyperactivity involved can probably be cut down with a more regimented (prayer) life.

Funny thing about that, my super hyper 10 year old I mentioned above has also always been my best behaved during Mass.

(01-04-2018, 03:46 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: Maybe it isn’t ADHD that is causing an energetic child to not want to sit in a desk for several hours a day. Maybe it’s just part of being a kid. Why is it the child’s disorder that everyone else has a problem with him?  Maybe the system to which they are attempting to force him to conform is disordered, not the child.

Yep, in the push by Big Pharm to get everyone hopped up, people are overlooking the basic idea of kids will be kids. I do believe that there are kids out there who need medication, at least for awhile, to help them focus and learn, but I also believe docs have been too quick to push medications.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden

Messages In This Thread
Attention-Deficit And Autism - by Zedta - 01-04-2018, 11:25 AM
RE: Attention-Deficit And Autism - by GangGreen - 01-04-2018, 12:24 PM
RE: Attention-Deficit And Autism - by Dominicus - 01-04-2018, 02:57 PM
RE: Attention-Deficit And Autism - by Jeeter - 01-05-2018, 07:46 AM
RE: Attention-Deficit And Autism - by Zedta - 01-05-2018, 12:40 PM
RE: Attention-Deficit And Autism - by Jeeter - 01-05-2018, 12:49 PM
RE: Attention-Deficit And Autism - by Fontevrault - 01-05-2018, 01:09 PM
RE: Attention-Deficit And Autism - by Jeeter - 01-05-2018, 01:41 PM
RE: Attention-Deficit And Autism - by Zedta - 01-05-2018, 01:51 PM
RE: Attention-Deficit And Autism - by Fontevrault - 01-05-2018, 12:11 PM