What should be done with protestant bibles
(01-30-2018, 04:14 PM)usablehermit Wrote: My understanding was that the Church was no longer in the business of banning books. 
Can you give me a cite on an official document of the Church abrogating the Catechism of St Pius X? If not, the teaching stands.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

(01-30-2018, 05:09 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 04:14 PM)usablehermit Wrote: My understanding was that the Church was no longer in the business of banning books. 
Can you give me a cite on an official document of the Church abrogating the Catechism of St Pius X? If not, the teaching stands.

I will happily address your point, but to help me do so better, first, please clarify whether, according to your position, without an official document abrogating the Catechism of St Pius X, it is true that its text necessarily means that:

1. any Catholic Scripture translator may not licitly possess a Protestant Bible for professional reasons, and must with disgust burn it or turn it over to a priest?
2. any Catholic may not licitly possess a Protestant Bible for apologetic or evangelical reasons, and must (etc.)?
3. any Catholic may not licitly possess a Protestant Bible for extraordinary situations in which other Bibles are unavailable?
(01-30-2018, 06:13 PM)usablehermit Wrote: I will happily address your point, but to help me do so better, first, please clarify whether, according to your position, without an official document abrogating the Catechism of St Pius X, it is true that its text necessarily means that:

1. any Catholic Scripture translator may not licitly possess a Protestant Bible for professional reasons, and must with disgust burn it or turn it over to a priest?

Quote:This has never been the case.

2. any Catholic may not licitly possess a Protestant Bible for apologetic or evangelical reasons, and must (etc.)?

Quote:I would say true. The Catholic Faith can be proven from the Catholic Bible. A case in point being prayer for the dead. There is no warrant for it in the truncated, judaised protestant Bible, so why attempt to evangelise using a mutilated Bible?

3. any Catholic may not licitly possess a Protestant Bible for extraordinary situations in which other Bibles are unavailable?

Quote:If one can find a protestant Bible, I'm sure one can find a Catholic Bible.
But I really just want a cite abrogating St Pius' Catechism.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

Thank you. It is difficult to understand someone’s position when they reply only to a single sentence or phrase, rather than the substance of an argument. Your position, as I understand it, is that a Catholic may not licitly possess a Protestant Bible for any reason, in any imaginable scenario--except in cases where their profession requires it?

As promised, I will answer your question. There is no official document abrogating the Catechism of St Pius X (CSPX). As far as I know, it is a valid catechism; I do not contend otherwise.

However, the quoted text in question specifies the reason: “because it is forbidden by the Church.” This is a reference to Pope Leo XIII’s addition of all Bibles not explicitly approved by the Holy See to the Index Liborum Prohibitorum.

While the CSPX as a whole has not been abrogated, the Index Liborum Prohibitorum has been (citation). The stated reason for the response that the CSPX recommends no longer applies. Therefore, it is not necessary to invalidate the entire CSPX to plausibly suggest that this particular response is not a binding obligation of all the faithful.
Quote:'(T)he Index remains morally binding, in light of the demands of natural law, in so far as it admonishes the conscience of Christians to be on guard for those writings that can endanger faith and morals.'

Notification regarding the abolition of the Index of books, Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Given in Rome from the Holy Office, June 14, 1966. + Cardinal A. Ottaviani, Pro-Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, + P. Parente, Secretary

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(01-30-2018, 07:54 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
Quote:'(T)he Index remains morally binding, in light of the demands of natural law, in so far as it admonishes the conscience of Christians to be on guard for those writings that can endanger faith and morals.'

Notification regarding the abolition of the Index of books, Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Given in Rome from the Holy Office, June 14, 1966. + Cardinal A. Ottaviani, Pro-Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, + P. Parente, Secretary

But "to be on guard" is different than saying it's sinful to possess or read books that, in saner times, would have been on the Index. Someone who's strong in his faith might read something and know his faith well enough to not be swayed, while it could cause someone of weaker faith to start doubting. And it can't be intrinsically sinful to read such books, since the books had to be read to end up on the Index in the first place. The abolition of the Index would seem to leave that judgment up to the individual.

That said, I don't see any reason for someone to be reading, devotionally, a Protestant Bible.