Can you hear the difference between a $500 and $160,000 violin bow?
Very interesting...can you hear a difference? I tried to copy the videos here and could not, so you'll have to click on the page and listen to the sound in the videos there.

http://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/...olin-bows/
Can you hear the difference between a $500 and $160,000 violin bow?
2-3 minutes

3 January 2018, 11:44
Three young girls create amazing rendition of Britney Spear’s Toxic
Arsha - Chopin's Revolutionary Etude (Godowsky arrangement for the left hand)
Composer names pronounced incorrectly

These four violin bows range from $500 to $160,000 in price. Can you hear the difference?
If you’ve got a well-trained ear, you’ll probably be able to hear the difference between a cheap modern violin and an expensive antique. But have you ever thought about how the violin bow might influence the instrument’s sound?
Esther Abrami is an Instagram violinist who has released a comparison video of the four violin bows she tries with her 1690 Stradivarius.
Violins can be some of the most expensive instruments (yes, Stradivari, we’re looking at you), so the cheapest bow Esther uses is worth a still-eye-watering $500. 
She then plays Monti’s Csárdás on three more bows: a $40,000 François Voirin, a Joseph Henry on the market for $90,000, and a Dominique Peccatte model worth a whopping $160,000. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the sound gets warmer and smoother as the bows increase in price.

Check out violinist Rob Landes’s comparison video of two violins, worth £50 and £250,000:
Rob Landes - Hallelujah
'Hallelujah', played on a £50 and a £250,000 violin. Spot the difference!
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain
Here you go, Z! Just needed to find it on YouTube.

Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Zedta
And here's the Rob Landes video mentioned at the end of the article.

St Bernard of Clairvaux

What about the second one where they used different valued violins?
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Mark Twain
Check my last post. LOL

St Bernard of Clairvaux

OOPS! You snuck that in as I was posting my question...THANKS!

Huxley

Einstein

Mark Twain
As a point of information, I have discovered that almost any video posted on a website (unshareable on FE) has also been posted on YouTube (shareable on FE).

St Bernard of Clairvaux

(01-11-2018, 07:09 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: As a point of information, I have discovered that almost any video posted on a website (unshareable on FE) has also been posted on YouTube (shareable on FE).

Tip o' the hat

Huxley

Einstein

Mark Twain
I can hear and feel the difference. I tried a few dozen bows recently between the $500 and $25,000 range. The difference in control is astonishing. Techniques that require great control on a crap bow are effortless on a good bow. It feels like it plays itself. No effort required. Beyond $50,000, you are just paying for the antique, but below that, the difference in quality and result is real.
The Hidden Treasure of the Mass · The Holy Rosary · The Roman Catechism
"Away with the great fraud! We will be Catholic! We will have our Mass! We will no longer tolerate the base profanation of our churches, nor the unholy pantomiming of the all-holy Sacrifice!" (Fr. J. Wathen)
There's definitely a difference in the tone. Unfortunately, the video is fairly compressed, so it's not as easy to discern as it would be in person, or in a less-compressed video. But that's youtube for you. There are a couple of gentlemen who have a show on youtube, f'rinstance, called The Doug and Pat Show (here), through which they examine the difference in sound of various classic guitars and amps. They're fun, and very knowledgeable on the subject, and use good quality mikes and cameras to try to miss some of the compression/sound quality issues. But video and sound being how they are, it's always gonna be better in person.
Eternal Father, I offer Thee the most precious blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said Throughout the world today, for all the holy souls in Purgatory. Amen.