Santa Fe Travesty?
(02-01-2018, 04:44 PM)DJR Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 03:06 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: It is not sacrilege.

Sacrilege is the intentional sinful violation of a sacred thing. Strictly speaking it only occurs when there is a grave violation of a thing in its sacred character.

If this chapel was sold off to non-Catholics then it must have first been de-sacrilized. To do this the bishop issues a formal decree reducing the building to profane use, thus removing its blessing or consecration. For liceity, but not validity of the decree, the bishop must try to ensure that the place is not used for sordid purposes, to prevent the risk of scandal.

Even if this were not done the offering of the building for public sale would remove the blessing or consecration of the place.

It is sad to see this done to this chapel, and most certainly it is wrong and unbecoming of the place, but it is not sacrilege.

I think one could, however, have a legitimate legal case against the owners for fraud, if they donated and the owners made it seem that it was a Catholic Church and funds raised were going to maintain a Catholic shrine. Perhaps if there were a large Catholic donor who was offended by this news, he could file a legal suit, bankrupt this owner and settle for reclaiming the Church for at least decent use, if not Catholic worship.

Whether sacrilege is involved depends on what happens during the purported pagan ceremonies. 

The chapel is intact and still has its original Stations of the Cross and statues of the Blessed Virgin, Saint Joseph, and the Sacred Heart, not to mention the Staircase. 

Deconsecration of the building would not affect whether sacrilege is being performed against those items. 

I don't know what "pagan services" entail, and I can't say whether sacrilege is involved, but it would not surprise me to learn that some sort of sacrilege does indeed take place.

Further, I don't know details of the transfer, but it doesn't seem likely that there was any fraud involved.  Even if there were, surely the Statute of Limitations has run.  The place was sold nearly half a century ago.

The chapel is well preserved and is now attached to the hotel immediately adjacent.  In order to enter the chapel, a visitor must go through the hotel and pay a small fee.

I wonder why this became a news article at this time.  The chapel was sold decades ago, and the pagan ceremonies have apparently been occurring for many years.

It is an absolute travesty that such a beautiful place was allowed to be sold, but it could be Divine Providence.  Who knows what the archdiocese would have done with it if it still owned it? 

The chapel, even though not owned by the Archdiocese of Santa Fe, is more beautiful and preserved than the cathedral right around the corner, which is owned by the archdiocese.

Travesty, yes.

Sacrilege, no.

Those items lost their blessing when sold just like the building.

Pagan services in the presence of a cross, crucifix, or picture is not sacrilege in any meaningful usage of the term.

In short, if the one who led the "pagan service" converted and confessed, he would not be guilty of "sacrilege" for use of this building.

I was not suggesting "fraud" in the sale, but in raising money purporting to be a "Catholic" shrine.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MagisterMusicae's post:
  • jovan66102

Messages In This Thread
Santa Fe Travesty? - by Zedta - 01-30-2018, 12:44 PM
RE: Santa Fe Travesty? - by Magdalene - 01-30-2018, 02:04 PM
RE: Santa Fe Travesty? - by MagisterMusicae - 01-30-2018, 03:06 PM
RE: Santa Fe Travesty? - by DJR - 02-01-2018, 04:44 PM
RE: Santa Fe Travesty? - by MagisterMusicae - 02-01-2018, 05:55 PM
RE: Santa Fe Travesty? - by DJR - 02-01-2018, 10:30 PM
RE: Santa Fe Travesty? - by MagisterMusicae - 02-02-2018, 02:44 PM
RE: Santa Fe Travesty? - by DJR - 02-02-2018, 04:50 PM
RE: Santa Fe Travesty? - by MagisterMusicae - 02-02-2018, 09:12 PM