Divinum Officium - Roman Breviary
Pax et Bonum!  I was hoping to get some assistance if possible - when praying the Divine Office on Divinum Officium, I noticed today that the prayers were from St Ignatius which should have been John Bosco??  I saw on another site that this has been a prob for a while and it is not DO's error, but Google.  Anyhow, what website do you recommend for praying the Divine Office - I like the Roman Breviary and to follow the old calendar.  (I have used for years, the 4-volume Breviary and Christian Prayer)  Tks and God bless, angeltime :incense: later on.....found out my error this time - sorry, I have found what I should be reading and also some info re martryology. Sorry! Tks!
I prayed the entire Office today, and all the prayers and readings I saw were for Don Bosco. And I iuse Google Chrome as a browser.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'

It depends on the rubrics you're using. Divinum Officium has the most options, but I'm not sure how well curated it is anymore; the 1960 rubrics seem to be OK generally.

Breviary.mobi is good if you don't mind supporting a sede site. It uses the Divino Afflatu rubrics of 1911 with the calendar as of approximately 1954. It is presented in parallel Latin and English columns. It also has the Little Office and the Office of the Dead. I believe they charge a modest monthly fee, like $2-3, but it's easily worth that if you use it.
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes aquinas138's post:
  • formerbuddhist
(01-31-2018, 07:43 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I prayed the entire Office today, and all the prayers and readings I saw were for Don Bosco. And I iuse Google Chrome as a browser.

Peace.....tks so much!  I found out my mistake and now am straightened out.  tks and sorry.....:)
(01-31-2018, 07:49 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: It depends on the rubrics you're using. Divinum Officium has the most options, but I'm not sure how well curated it is anymore; the 1960 rubrics seem to be OK generally.

Breviary.mobi is good if you don't mind supporting a sede site. It uses the Divino Afflatu rubrics of 1911 with the calendar as of approximately 1954. It is presented in parallel Latin and English columns. It also has the Little Office and the Office of the Dead. I believe they charge a modest monthly fee, like $2-3, but it's easily worth that if you use it.
Peace.....I discovered my error so am okay now - however thankyou for the info you provided and I may look into that also!  Sorry but thanks!!  :)
EDIT: Never mind!
(01-31-2018, 07:49 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: It depends on the rubrics you're using. Divinum Officium has the most options, but I'm not sure how well curated it is anymore; the 1960 rubrics seem to be OK generally.

I forgot about that one but I used to have a subscription. It's worth it for those who want to pray with the Pius X psalter but with a more robust calendar.  

Divinum Officum is nice because it's free but there are little errors, typos and things missing here and there. If you're savvy enough to know how to use GitHub (I'm not, it's confusing as you know what to me) you can make little changes to the typos and errors.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
(02-02-2018, 02:47 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:

I forgot about that one but I used to have a subscription. It's worth it for those who want to pray with the Pius X psalter but with a more robust calendar.  

Divinum Officum is nice because it's free but there are little errors, typos and things missing here and there. If you're savvy enough to know how to use GitHub (I'm not, it's confusing as you know what to me) you can make little changes to the typos and errors.
Peace.....tks!  all interesting responses - I was told by a priest yesterday it is important to include the Martyrology too with Prime.  I am enjoying the Offices and use Tridentine 1570.....is that good?  God bless! :monstrance:
(02-02-2018, 03:05 PM)Tangeltime Wrote:

Peace.....tks!  all interesting responses - I was told by a priest yesterday it is important to include the Martyrology too with Prime.  I am enjoying the Offices and use Tridentine 1570.....is that good?  God bless! :monstrance:
As a layman ( I'm guessing you are) you can pray whichever version you want. I'm used to the Benedictine version but by all means pray the 1570 Roman if you like. The martyrology is nice because it connects you to the stories or even just the names of many saints that are unknown. We can easily forget that so many saints were early Christian martyrs. 

I'm glad you're getting into the Office. The Office has been like an anchor for me when almost everything else drifted by the wayside. Best of luck to you in your journey with the Breviary.
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
(02-02-2018, 09:36 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 03:05 PM)Tangeltime Wrote:

As a layman ( I'm guessing you are) you can pray whichever version you want. I'm used to the Benedictine version but by all means pray the 1570 Roman if you like. The martyrology is nice because it connects you to the stories or even just the names of many saints that are unknown. We can easily forget that so many saints were early Christian martyrs. 

I'm glad you're getting into the Office. The Office has been like an anchor for me when almost everything else drifted by the wayside. Best of luck to you in your journey with the Breviary.
Peace.....I love praying the Divine Office; it is the Word of God speaking to me each day & it's awesome when we are in perfect sync!  You are right about the Martyrology teaching us about the former Saints who went through much that we are going through too.  As for Adoration, this is not the same now in the NO Church - it is very watered down and people are using many vocal prayers during Adoration when it is a time for "listening" - Speak Lord, your servant is listening.....best to stay with a Traditional Parish/Chapel for Masses, Vespers and Adoration.  I notice the NO Church never even says the word Vespers!  It is such a beautiful mystical time of prayer and where did it go??  (Where have they taken my Lord?) By the way, I am a laywoman - haha!! God bless, angeltime -  :monstrance: