Celebrate Recovery
I was invited to Celebrate Recovery at a Methodist church last Wednesday. I used to attend AA, but now I use the Rosary and the Sacraments as my basis for my recovery. Any way this is what went on.

1. Praise and Worship. I thought my head was gonna explode with the sappy Christian music.

2. Reading of celebrate recoveries version of the 12 steps to recovery. Which isn't bad they back the steps up with bible verses.

3. A testimonial on what their life was like and how it is now. I could deal with that no big deal. But it was the typical evangelical thing. This guy said the sinners prayer and his life changed.

4. Closing prayer

5. Small recovery group meetings.

Then I was asked to go to a communion service. I left right away. I wanted nothing to do with that nonsense.

My big thing was it all seemed to be feelings based. Things were said like all you need is grace to be saved from your addictions or problems. Confess your sins to G-d and someone you trust. I said I go to a priest and did I get a look. 

It really turned me off. I could see poorly catichised Catholics falling for this.

By the way this was the first time I was in a non Catholic Church in years.
Bob

If my dog doesn't like you maybe I shouldn't either!!

“No one in the world can change Truth!”
St. Maximilian Kolbe, PRAY FOR US!
(02-03-2018, 10:09 PM)BobR67 Wrote: My big thing was it all seemed to be feelings based. Things were said like all you need is grace to be saved from your addictions or problems. Confess your sins to G-d and someone you trust. I said I go to a priest and did I get a look. 

Isn't that basically the same thing as "I used to attend AA, but now I use the Rosary and the Sacraments as my basis for my recovery"?
I have resigned myself to the reality that I shall have no peace or joy should I continue to exist for eternity.  The question of deism or Christianity no longer matters.  I hope that Christianity is a farce, and that when I die, my consciousness will cease to exist.  In the meantime, I ask the Theotokos to be at my side at my judgement and ask her to intercede to, as I beg, Christ to have mercy on me and to allow me to cease to exist when I die.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melkite's post:
  • jovan66102
(02-06-2018, 04:01 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-03-2018, 10:09 PM)BobR67 Wrote: My big thing was it all seemed to be feelings based. Things were said like all you need is grace to be saved from your addictions or problems. Confess your sins to G-d and someone you trust. I said I go to a priest and did I get a look. 

Isn't that basically the same thing as "I used to attend AA, but now I use the Rosary and the Sacraments as my basis for my recovery"?
I used to go to AA also. I now do the same as you, Rosary and Sacraments. This seemed to me to be really radical. Celebrate Recovery originated at the Saddleback Church by Rick Warren. It was like going to a mega church. I was uncomfortable. I went because a friend invited me. I will not return.
Bob

If my dog doesn't like you maybe I shouldn't either!!

“No one in the world can change Truth!”
St. Maximilian Kolbe, PRAY FOR US!
My life changed after the sinners prayer. Absolutely. It took me a while to make it back home to the Church, but hey it was a start.