Archbishop rebukes top cardinal’s proposal for liturgical ‘blessing’ for homosexuals
The problem, he says, is that “any such ‘blessing rite’ would cooperate in a morally forbidden act, no matter how sincere the persons seeking the blessing.”https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/archbi...-for-homos
[-] The following 3 users Like Eric F's post:
  • olorin12, Sacred Heart lover, SinnerSanctified25
From the original column :

Quote:Why would a seemingly merciful act pose such a problem? Blessing persons in their particular form of life effectively encourages them in that state—in this case, same-sex sexual unions. Throughout Christian history, a simple and wise fact applies: lex orandi, lex credendi, i.e., how we worship shapes what and how we believe. Establishing a new rite teaches and advances a new doctrine by its lived effect, i.e., by practice.

Funny ... it was the same man who said :

Quote:I certainly want to be faithful to the Holy Father and his teaching about the traditional expression of the Roman liturgy in the Tridentine form. I supported that and will continue to support that. It isn't, however, my personal interest or direction.

But that "Tridentine form" is the traditional, long-standing rite, and it was changed in 1970 ...

Thus the following from the same interview makes total sense :

Quote:I think that if the church doesn't change as time goes on, it's not being faithful to the inspirations of the Holy Spirit. I believe the contributions of the bishops of the church in the 1960s, 70s and 80s were guided by the Holy Spirit, but we're not there anymore. We're in a different time. I don't spend much time trying to be different from the past. I try to be faithful to the future, and what I think the Holy Spirit is inspiring me to do. I don't know that I want to make any clear distinction between those times and our times.

...I'm deeply grateful for the contributions of Cardinal Bernardin and the bishops of his time, as well as the bishops who have preceded me everywhere I've been. But my duty is not to be like them, but to be what God calls me to be now, whatever that's going to look like.

As far as the social justice question goes, I don't think you can be an evangelist, or part of this evangelical movement in the church, without being as clearly committed to social justice as the church has been in the past.

Lex orandi, lex credendi ...

It would be nice if the good Archbishop, right as he is here, would take that principle and examine it on more than just something so obvious.

Perhaps if he did he would take an interest and personal direction away from Cardinal Bernadin and the "contributions" of the "Holy Spirit" in the "church in the 1960s, 70s and 80s"...
Cardinal Cordes has spoken up as well https://gloria.tv/article/sMSwD8nt3gbx4xg7w9JJD6wtS