Help! Is today a day of fasting and partial abstinence?
(02-17-2018, 08:29 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 06:12 PM)Paul Wrote: Choosing to fast today is a matter of devotion, no longer a matter of Church law, which only requires fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Under the traditional rules, all weekdays of Lent are days of fasting and partial abstinence, except Friday, which requires total abstinence. But it's no longer a sin to eat turkey twice on a Lenten Saturday.

Actually you are still obligated to totally abstain from meat for all Fridays of Lent, as well as abstain and fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Not in all places. For instance, a priest friend in New Zealand told me that the local bishops applied that "choice of penance" bit to all Fridays of the year, including Lent.

But in the U.S., yes, all Lenten Fridays are days of abstinence even under the present law.

Of course that's also the place where they only have (excluding Sundays) two Holy Days of obligation each year.
(02-18-2018, 03:12 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote: Of course that's also the place where they only have (excluding Sundays) two Holy Days of obligation each year.

Canada has done the same. The only Holy Days of Obligation, saving Sundays, are Christmas and New Year's Day.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe