Disgraced cardinal cancels appearance representing Pope after locals vow to protest
Thumbs Up 
“We are most grateful to our Holy Father for appointing Cardinal Mahony to be his personal envoy for this special celebration, and we are honored that the Cardinal has so graciously accepted this invitation,” Scranton Bishop Joseph C. Bambera said in this press release. “This expression of the Pope’s pastoral support is another blessing as we mark the founding of our Diocese, and we look forward to welcoming His Eminence Cardinal Mahony to celebrate this historic milestone with us.”

Local Catholics then promised to protest the event and expressed to media outlet Church Militant their frustration that the Holy See was sending the disgraced cardinal as its representative. https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/disgra...als-vow-to

Finally a little good news !
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eric F's post:
  • Becky
(02-19-2018, 08:12 PM)Eric F Wrote: “We are most grateful to our Holy Father for appointing Cardinal Mahony to be his personal envoy for this special celebration, and we are honored that the Cardinal has so graciously accepted this invitation,” Scranton Bishop Joseph C. Bambera said in this press release. “This expression of the Pope’s pastoral support is another blessing as we mark the founding of our Diocese, and we look forward to welcoming His Eminence Cardinal Mahony to celebrate this historic milestone with us.”

Local Catholics then promised to protest the event and expressed to media outlet Church Militant their frustration that the Holy See was sending the disgraced cardinal as its representative. https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/disgra...als-vow-to

Finally a little good news !

Wow, just wow.
Every time I hear someone mention the name of that dissident I think of what he said about the Mass...

Roger Cardinal Mahony: "The Tridentine Mass was meant for those who could not make the transition from Latin to English [or other languages] after the Council. 

"But there is no participation by the people, and I don’t believe that instills the spirit of Christ among us."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Whitey's post:
  • Credidi Propter
(02-20-2018, 01:39 AM)Whitey Wrote: Every time I hear someone mention the name of that dissident I think of what he said about the Mass...

Roger Cardinal Mahony: "The Tridentine Mass was meant for those who could not make the transition from Latin to English [or other languages] after the Council. 

"But there is no participation by the people, and I don’t believe that instills the spirit of Christ among us."

There is more to participation than always saying or doing something. When I go to the Traditional Latin Mass, I am able to participate more fully, because I don’t feel like I’m always being interrupted or distracted by awkward pauses, or by always having to say or do something.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • Whitey
I am always reminded of this:

Quote:"It has taken the shortage of priestly and religious vocations to awaken in us an appreciation of a broadly based shared ministry and a realization that it is in the nature of the Church as the Body of Christ to be endowed with many gifts, ministries and offices. What some refer to as a "vocations crisis" is, rather, one of the many fruits of the Second Vatican Council, a sign of God’s deep love for the Church, and an invitation to a more creative and effective ordering of gifts and energy in the Body of Christ. This is a time of great challenge and opportunity in the Church, not least of all because the gifts of the lay faithful have been flourishing in unprecedented numbers and in unforeseen ways."
From a Pastoral Letter from "Cardinal Roger Mahony and the Priests of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Holy Thursday, April 20, 2000" (Since when does an Ordinary issue a Pastoral Letter in union with the priests of his (Arch)diocese?)
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
[-] The following 1 user Likes jovan66102's post:
  • Whitey
(02-20-2018, 01:55 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 01:39 AM)Whitey Wrote: Every time I hear someone mention the name of that dissident I think of what he said about the Mass...

There is more to participation than always saying or doing something. When I go to the Traditional Latin Mass, I am able to participate more fully, because I don’t feel like I’m always being interrupted or distracted by awkward pauses, or by always having to say or do something.

I agree. My missal is in my hands for nearly the entire Mass. Praying the Mass along with the priest is indeed full participation.
(02-20-2018, 02:03 AM)jovan66102 Wrote: I am always reminded of this:

Quote:"It has taken the shortage of priestly and religious vocations to awaken in us an appreciation of a broadly based shared ministry and a realization that it is in the nature of the Church as the Body of Christ to be endowed with many gifts, ministries and offices. What some refer to as a "vocations crisis" is, rather, one of the many fruits of the Second Vatican Council, a sign of God’s deep love for the Church, and an invitation to a more creative and effective ordering of gifts and energy in the Body of Christ. This is a time of great challenge and opportunity in the Church, not least of all because the gifts of the lay faithful have been flourishing in unprecedented numbers and in unforeseen ways."
From a Pastoral Letter from "Cardinal Roger Mahony and the Priests of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Holy Thursday, April 20, 2000" (Since when does an Ordinary issue a Pastoral Letter in union with the priests of his (Arch)diocese?)

Aw, I had not read that gem. 

Spinning a lack of vocations as some sort of gift ?

I've never prayed for him but perhaps it wouldn't hurt :(
(02-20-2018, 02:54 AM)Whitey Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 01:55 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote:

I agree. My missal is in my hands for nearly the entire Mass. Praying the Mass along with the priest is indeed full participation.

I don’t even bring my missal. It’s nice to know what the prayers mean, but I read the readings and proper prayers as part of my preparation for Mass, and I’ve been enough times now that I already know what the ordinary prayers mean. I find it most helpful to silently adore and reflect on the reality that heaven and earth meet at Mass, that God Himself is made present at the priest’s softly-spoken words, as quiet and as beautiful as a sunrise. Even silently following along in the missal can seem awfully “busy” to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Credidi Propter's post:
  • Whitey