Can you pray the Stations of the Cross at home?
I haven't got much to add to the title of the thread.. 

..can you pray them at home?
Yes, but as I understand it you won't get the indulgences.  It is still good to pray and meditate on the stations, but it will not be indulgenced.
Rejoice, O Virgin Theotokos, o Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee! Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour and the Redeemer of our souls!

[Image: hailmary.jpg]
I would say that under the new rules, you would get a partial indulgence, since the Enchiridion Indulgentiarum says in the First General Grant,

Quote:A partial indulgence is granted to the Christian faithful who, while performing their duties and enduring the difficulties of life, raise their minds in humble trust to God and make, at least mentally, some pious invocation.
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe
(02-20-2018, 02:35 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I would say that under the new rules, you would get a partial indulgence, since the Enchiridion Indulgentiarum says in the First General Grant,

Quote:A partial indulgence is granted to the Christian faithful who, while performing their duties and enduring the difficulties of life, raise their minds in humble trust to God and make, at least mentally, some pious invocation.

The plenary indulgence for the Via Crucis (aside from the usual conditions) requires one to either personally or through the leader of the group performing the devotion, visit each of the 14 wooden crosses (which are the actual stations). At each station one must briefly meditate on the Passion of Christ, but not necessarily that particular part depicted by the station. No particular prayers, nor any vocal prayers, are required, however if done in a group it would seem impossible to collectively perform the devotion without vocal prayer.
(02-20-2018, 02:08 PM)FultonFan Wrote: I haven't got much to add to the title of the thread.. 

..can you pray them at home?
Peace.....first I wondered if you knew that it is traditional for the Franciscan Friars to erect the Stations or at least bless them after they are put up in a Parish/Chapel?  I really don't know if that is continued/ :crucifix: customary now.  As for doing at home - yes, you can but I think it is just a partial indulgence however one is supposed to move around the room while saying the prayers at each Station.  I guess if you are using a book, move one's self to a holy object or picture each time the Station changes??  They are probably on the internet too - with good pictures and meditations.  God bless, angeltime
(02-20-2018, 03:02 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:
(02-20-2018, 02:35 PM)jovan66102 Wrote: I would say that under the new rules, you would get a partial indulgence, since the Enchiridion Indulgentiarum says in the First General Grant,

The plenary indulgence for the Via Crucis (aside from the usual conditions) requires one to either personally or through the leader of the group performing the devotion, visit each of the 14 wooden crosses (which are the actual stations). At each station one must briefly meditate on the Passion of Christ, but not necessarily that particular part depicted by the station. No particular prayers, nor any vocal prayers, are required, however if done in a group it would seem impossible to collectively perform the devotion without vocal prayer.
MM, which is why I pointed out that it would be a partial indulgence. :LOL:
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
“Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'
FishEaters Group on MeWe